Thread: Very interesting take on Chad/Clemens

All Pro

Very interesting take on Chad/Clemens

Cimini sees paralels between Mangini's handling of Kellen and Bellichick's handling of Brady.

And, certainly, its not hard to see the paralells between Bledsoe and Pennington, two talented, winning QBs who each had a significant limitation (mobility for Drew; arm strength for Chad).

I'm not sure if Chad is the answer for us or not, but I do think, at worst, he's a great mentor for Clemens who can keep us competitive until Kellen (or whoever) is ready.

Rook QB in passing lane
    By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    Wednesday, December 13th, 2006

Unless something wacky happens in the next couple of weeks, the Jets will make it through the season without a quarterback controversy. From the start of the four-player charade/competition last spring until now, it has been Chad Pennington's team. He's an untouchable.
    But next season, he won't have that immunity.

Pennington has been the ideal transition quarterback - smart, good leadership skills, capable of picking apart a suspect defense - but the expectations will be higher in 2007. A fat interception total (a career-high 15) isn't going to cut it next year, when he discovers that Eric Mangini's leash is noticeably shorter.

Two reasons: Greater pressure to win in '07. Kellen Clemens.

The rookie, who began his climb up the depth chart by supplanting Patrick Ramsey as the No.2 quarterback for last week's game, will be a legitimate threat to Pennington next season. Pennington will go into training camp as the starter, but he shouldn't get too comfortable.

Mangini's handling of Clemens is eerily similar to the way his former boss, Bill Belichick, groomed Tom Brady in his first season as the Patriots' coach. Consider:

In 2000, Brady's rookie year, Belichick threw a bone to his young QB, activating him for two games in the final month. Brady made his first appearance in a mop-up role, a three-play stint at the end of a 34-9 loss to the Lions in Week 13.

Three days ago, Clemens made his debut as the primary backup, a four-play outing at the grisly conclusion of a 31-13 loss to the Bills in Week 14. (He did handle mop-up in the Week 5 blowout in Jacksonville, but that came as the No.3 quarterback.)

In 2001, Brady replaced longtime starter Drew Bledsoe in Week 3 because of an injury (courtesy of Mo Lewis), although Brady was gaining on Bledsoe and the change was going to happen eventually.

In 2007, Pennington will have reason to look over his shoulder, assuming Clemens has a strong offseason and continues to develop. Obviously, the Jets think highly of their second-round pick; they believe he has Pennington-like intangibles, except with a better arm.

"When you pick a guy that high, you have to play him," an opposing AFC coach said.

That Mangini entrusted the No. 2 job to Clemens in such a big game says a lot about his faith in him. (It also says a lot about Ramsey, who soon will be an ex-Jet.) If the unthinkable had occurred - a Pennington injury before the fourth quarter - the Jets' season (and playoff hopes) would have been in the hands of a rookie.

"I kept my helmet a little closer," Clemens said.

Mangini has done a nice job of handling the quarterback situation, supporting Pennington and never seriously considering a change during his starter's six-week slump. Without Pennington, the offense would be dysfunctional. You could make a strong argument that, despite mediocre numbers, he's the team MVP.

But next year, he won't be the only ace in the hole.

The Clipboard

Hot Seat: Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The quiet giant has to play a lot better than last week.

X's and O's: It'll be tough sledding against the Vikings, who yield only 54 rushing yards per game - the league's stingiest run defense since 1970.

Whispers: Laveranues Coles must be whispering to himself after not getting any balls in the second half of last week's loss. How does that happen?

Hall Of Fame
    If the Jets don't knock the crap out of Bledsoe along the sidelines Tom Brady may have never got the big chance at exactly the right time. I don't give Belichek a heck of alot of credit for moulding Brady into a great QB. Brady did alot himself and Weiss should get alot of credit as well.

Belichek is a great coach but for this I give him very little credit.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    If the Jets don't knock the crap out of Bledsoe along the sidelines Tom Brady may have never got the big chance at exactly the right time. I don't give Belichek a heck of alot of credit for moulding Brady into a great QB. Brady did alot himself and Weiss should get alot of credit as well.

Belichek is a great coach but for this I give him very little credit.
    I agree. Brady is more a product of innate talent and grooming by Weiss.
    Look at what Weiss has done in a very short time frame at ND with Brady Quinn.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by agentmorris
    I agree. Brady is more a product of innate talent and grooming by Weiss.
    Look at what Weiss has done in a very short time frame at ND with Brady Quinn.
    I don't think you can discount Bellichick's role in Brady's development. Remember, he was largely responsible for the Testaverde reclamation project in Cleveland/Baltimore that saw Vinny go from a national joke to the Pro Bowl (in '96). Also, Brady hasn't exactly imploded without Charlie Weis (even as much as, say, Brett Favre did without Mike Holmgren).

As much as it pains Jets fans to do so, I think you have to give Bellichick a little credit.

All Pro
    Well, I f*cking hope he's right.