Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here really would have believed this to be true at the beginning of the season???

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Lightbulb Who here really would have believed this to be true at the beginning of the season???

I was reading an article in the NY Post today (about the Jets of course) and I came across a sentence that really hit home with me as I took a sip of my 3rd cup coffee this morning, here it is:

A win over the Raiders on New Years Eve and, without any help from anyone, the Jets are in the playoffs a year removed from a 4-12 season.
    When the regular season was about to kick-off I thought if all the questions at the beginning of the season were answered in the Jets favor, we could have went 8-8, because I believed Mangini was going to be a very good head coach just by what he and Tannenbaum had accomplished in the off-season and the draft.

I have to admit, I really did not believe we would be a legitmate playoff contender but yet here we are with the above quote being as true as the day is long.

I'm really amazed. Not to mention happy and excited beyond words.

GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JJJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-27-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Rookie
    I thought it was going to be a long, long year.

I just hoped for them to be watchable by at least showing us the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel."

Banned
    ME.

10-6 FOR LIFE

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i believed it was going to be a long season ...

... the 1st 1/2 chalked up to players learning a new system ...

... 6-10 a likely final stop for the season ...

... i have been hugely amazed and gratified by what our HC has accomplished with still 1 more very important stop to make before we can get off and go dancing ...

INCREDIBLE job by the mangenious !!!

l_j_r

All Pro
    With all due modesty, I predicted a 10-6 season. The only games I had wrong, so far, is I had us beating the Browns and losing this past game in Miami.

All League
    After looking at the schedule I thought we could win between 7 and 9 games. But
    I thought the defense would have carried us early while the offense struggled.

Rookie
    Call me a homer, but, I believed that this team would be much better than predicted. I believed in Mangini from the draft on, 100%. Look up old posts back in October I predicted the Jets would be a wild card team, contend for the division and upset their first round opponent in the playoffs. I am standing by that prediction whether we play NE or Indy.

Worm

Veteran
    I actually felt a sense of relief in a weird way....

I didn't expect much from the team this season so I would not have to have my Sunday's ruined with a JET loss and an agonizing night attempting to sleep going over what they should have done to win the game.

This is great because even when they lose I am not that upset as my frame of mind is I expected them not to do well.

I know kinda strange but I love this YEAR!!!

Rookie
    I did not think the Jets would win more than 6 games.I am glad I was wrong. BELEIVE IT OR NOT but when the Jets play mediocre teams from now on I don't get too excited about a sure win.I do not even like when the media says great things about the Jets cause it is a curse.We are a different team now with Mangini.He is a smart coach.GO JETS!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by brookshea
    We are a different team now with Mangini.He is a smart coach. GO JETS!!!
    Mangenius is going to be a great coach for alot of years.

The Jets success doesn't surprise me at all. I always thought that if the Jets were to stay healthy, with their soft schedule, it was very possible. This was a team that was a legitimate contender last year, before the rash of injuries.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    Mangenius is going to be a great coach for alot of years.
    Don't be surprised to see Woody whip out the checkbook in the offseason and sign Mangini to a big extention. You don't let coaches that young with that much potential slip away.

In a summer thread here on JI I optimistically predicted 9 wins. I say optimistic because I was banking on Manging being a very good HC and Pennington being healthy. Having a solid QB makes all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    Don't be surprised to see Woody whip out the checkbook in the offseason and sign Mangini to a big extention. You don't let coaches that young with that much potential slip away.
    I hope he does, that would be a shrewd move. While he is at it, he should also extend Tannenbaum.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    He would be a fool not to.

Practice Squad
    Its funny because at the beginning of the season I predicted this team to be 10-6, even during training camp. I figured why whouldnt they be? the only position they lost was RB, and granted its a huge position to fill, chad was coming back and when chad is healthy he is a great leader, and finds ways to win. Here is how i saw it in the beginning of the year (Actual outcome in paraentheses)

@Titans: W (W)
    Patriots: L (L)
    @Bills: W (W)
    Colts: L (L)
    @Jaguars: L (L)
    Dolphins: W (W)
    Lions: W (W)
    @Browns: W (L)
    @Patriots: L (W)
    Bears: W (L)
    Texans: W (W)
    @Packers: W (W)
    Bills: W (W)
    @ Vikings: L (W)
    @Dolphins: L (W)
    Raiders: W (?)

I know...I picked the Bears game as a W, but it almost happened! Also, i may have picked some wrong ones, but it all fell into place in the same record i predicted.

All Pro
    I am really surprised that we are on the verge of the playoffs.

I thought that we would be 7-9 at best.

We had a QB with a bad shoulder, 2 rookies on the OL, no RB (curtis hurt) and switching to a 3-4 defense a new coaching staff and a rookie head coach, that is quite a lot of obstacles to overcome. These items are what makes this season so rewarding.

Give the teams and coaches all of credit for working hard and getting to this point.

Jets in the playoffs .. WOW just WOW.

Undrafted Free Agent
    ME!!! I always believe that it is going to be the Jets year no matter what.

All League
    Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the season I said If Chad can stay healthy the Jets will go 10-6. I hope I am right.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard
    With all due modesty, I predicted a 10-6 season. The only games I had wrong, so far, is I had us beating the Browns and losing this past game in Miami.
    me too DM-I said if our special teams can play well we could steal a game and if we can stay healthy (we have) and not get killed by penalties and GET a call or two that anything was possible-find the perdiction threads someone...

There were still a few of us believers.The best case made was from some Jets fan here with Orange in his screename-he laid it out perfectly about the schedule along with other stuff I can't remember and everything he wrote has come to pass so far-who WAS that guy