Thread: I Forgot how Good Freeman McNeil Was

All Pro

I Forgot how Good Freeman McNeil Was

Yesterday, the NFL Network showed a number of highlight reels of Jets seasons past. First they had the Superbowl year (never really realized how good Maynard was).

Then, they had one called Road Warriors, about the 82 Jets. It was great watching Wesley Walker and that killer defensive line. Biggest thing that I had almost forgotten was how good Freeman McNeil was. Extremely quick and elusive.

By the way, I watched the whole show, hoping that it would have a better ending than it did at the time. Oh well, maybe this is the year.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    About the 1982 squad, that really caught fire in the strike year, and McNeil had plenty to do with that. I wish Teddy Atlas had been able to calm him down a bit; McNeil was always overextending himself, and he injured himself, trying to live up to the expectations of a top draft pick. He had sick moves and a ton of power for a 215lb cat.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... how many times did your jaw drop as you saw him galloping full speed then suddenly stop on a dime and watch defenders fly by tackling air where he should have been ? ...

... i love seeing replays of that guy ! ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    About the 1982 squad, that really caught fire in the strike year, and McNeil had plenty to do with that. I wish Teddy Atlas had been able to calm him down a bit; McNeil was always overextending himself, and he injured himself, trying to live up to the expectations of a top draft pick. He had sick moves and a ton of power for a 215lb cat.
    If only the Orange Bowl was covered for the AFC championship game..

That and 1998 still kill me..

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Hey bp, I watch parts of the Raiders v. Jets 1982 playoff game from time to time. That's quite a scrum. Lyle Alzado is playing and acting out of his mind, it's a bit of a defensive battle...and Wesley Walker has a great catch. Oh, yeah McNeil runs his arse off...

All League
    Like Toon, if not for the injuries Freeman was HOF material. He lost much of his prime to injury, and it was only toward the end of his career that he stayed healthy enough to show how consistently good he could be.

In comparison with Toon Freeman had a longer and more accomplished career. We can only wonder what could have been had they both been healthy throughout.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... how many times did your jaw drop as you saw him galloping full speed then suddenly stop on a dime and watch defenders fly by tackling air where he should have been ? ...

... i love seeing replays of that guy ! ...

l_j_r
    Oh, yeah. He ran for 200+ in Cinncinnati in the WC game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Freeman won the Rushing Title in 82 with LESS carries then other backs! That was the Strike year and the only played 9 games and why Shula wanted a wet field for the AFC Championship Game! Freeman had 211 yd's rushing in the Brown playoff game and over 100 in the Raider Game!

Rushes
    T Dorsett 177
    J Riggins 177
    A Franklin 177
    B Sims 172
    T Collins 164
    M Allen 160
    E Campbell 157
    P Johnson 156
    F McNeil 151
    W Payton 148

Rushing yards
    F McNeil 786
    T Dorsett 745
    A Franklin 701
    M Allen 697
    B Sims 639
    J Cribbs 633
    T Collins 632
    P Johnson 622
    F Harris 604
    W Payton 59

All Pro
    The last of the ball legged running backs.

Banned
    Hey bp, I watch parts of the Raiders v. Jets 1982 playoff game from time to time. That's quite a scrum. Lyle Alzado is playing and acting out of his mind, it's a bit of a defensive battle...and Wesley Walker has a great catch. Oh, yeah McNeil runs his arse off...
    And Kirk Springs de cleats Cliff Branch and the ball pops up for Jerry ''long arms'' Holmes!!

Banned
    We would have kicked the Redskins ass in that Superbowl..nobody ran the ball on that defense..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    We would have kicked the Redskins ass in that Superbowl..nobody ran the ball on that defense..
    just like we would have killed the Falcons in 1999

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Freeman won the Rushing Title in 82 with LESS carries then other backs! That was the Strike year and the only played 9 games and why Shula wanted a wet field for the AFC Championship Game! Freeman had 211 yd's rushing in the Brown playoff game and over 100 in the Raider Game!

Rushes
    T Dorsett 177
    J Riggins 177
    A Franklin 177
    B Sims 172
    T Collins 164
    M Allen 160
    E Campbell 157
    P Johnson 156
    F McNeil 151
    W Payton 148

Rushing yards
    F McNeil 786
    T Dorsett 745
    A Franklin 701
    M Allen 697
    B Sims 639
    J Cribbs 633
    T Collins 632
    P Johnson 622
    F Harris 604
    W Payton 59
    That's why McNeil was a better back than Curtis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets
    just like we would have killed the Falcons in 1999
    I know ..it kills me.. 10-0 lead at halftime in Denver Dave Meggett

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He has one of the best signatures.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    And Kirk Springs de cleats Cliff Branch and the ball pops up for Jerry ''long arms'' Holmes!!
    Greatest Jets Play of the 1980's...maybe

Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" was getting BIG airplay and the Village Voice voted it "Song of the Year" which was AMAZING for hip hop/rap at that time. I had the 12" vinyl and we would blast it during the playoffs, especially while watching the Cinncinnati game ("it's like a jungle sometimes..." great for the bengals ). Good times.

All Pro
    Greatest Jets Play of the 1980's...maybe

Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" was getting BIG airplay and the Village Voice voted it "Song of the Year" which was AMAZING for hip hop/rap at that time. I had the 12" vinyl and we would blast it during the playoffs, especially while watching the Cinncinnati game ("it's like a jungle sometimes..." great for the bengals ). Good times.
    NYC ..not so good times

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    NYC ..not so good times
    Jimmy Carter in the South Bronx. High unemployment. 18% interest rates. Very difficult times in NYC.

All Pro
    Man how good the Jets were to get their fans excited and suck us all in that this year will be different and we let our guard down just to get walloped over the head and disappointed big time.

I have a long time friend who just today warned me about what a trap game this Oakland game is. I said come on we can't lose to Oakland. He warned me to know better.

I told him to Shut the F,,, Up I don't want to hear it. I better be right.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan
    Man how good the Jets were to get their fans excited and suck us all in that this year will be different and we let our guard down just to get walloped over the head and disappointed big time.

I have a long time friend who just today warned me about what a trap game this Oakland game is. I said come on we can't lose to Oakland. He warned me to know better.

I told him to Shut the F,,, Up I don't want to hear it. I better be right.
    Listen to your friend, for he is wise