Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About the Whole (we need a DE) thing

Banned

About the Whole (we need a DE) thing

i heard so much, we need Lamarr Woodley we need a pass rusher..... why again???

Shaun Ellis is okay and Bryan Thomas is definetly having a breakout year......

Serious question.....

Hall Of Fame
    Talk about Woodley (Who is more of a 3-4 OLB) has pretty much quited for the most part with the emergence of Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson. The Jets need a DE for the 3-4 Defense though as Bryan Thomas is too small and a 3-4 OLB also and Kimo Von Oelhoffen sucks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

^

I agree on Kimo. He is the worst starting player on the team by a landslide. Upgrade that position and you make everybody else's job easier. And the new DE doesn't even need to produce big sack numbers - just pressure the QB consistently. Knockdowns, hurries, etc. Make the offense account for him and the LB's will have a better opportunity to produce some sacks. If we can improve our pass rush next season we'll have an awesome defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Talk about Woodley (Who is more of a 3-4 OLB) has pretty much quited for the most part with the emergence of Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson. The Jets need a DE for the 3-4 Defense though as Bryan Thomas is too small and a 3-4 OLB also and Kimo Von Oelhoffen sucks.
    Exactly

Many will tell you that I've been a huge fan of Woodley, but with the emergence of Thomas and Hobson (as well as LaMarr's rising stock) we really don't need him.

3-4 DE is a pretty big need for us. I personally wouldn't mind a guy like Carriker out of Nebraska and I'm sure others feel the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    kimo von suckoften does...well....suck often.

and he needs to be replaced, but we can place Shaun Ellis at that spot and try to get Btom to beef up and get...well...an insurance policy like a later round pick instead of a top 32 pick..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    Exactly

Many will tell you that I've been a huge fan of Woodley, but with the emergence of Thomas and Hobson (as well as LaMarr's rising stock) we really don't need him.

3-4 DE is a pretty big need for us. I personally wouldn't mind a guy like Carriker out of Nebraska and I'm sure others feel the same.
    ooo, carriker. go huskers

All Pro
    Oddly enough, the Jets website still shows the starters as a 4-3 unit with BT on the RDE spot. http://www.nyjets.com/team/depth_chart/

The way the 3-4 works, however, is that BT becomes the ROLB and KvO becomes the RDE. RDE could definitely be upgraded next year but I haven't scanned the upcoming FAs or draftees yet. There's this little thing called the playoffs I'm kind of focused on for now...
    Last edited by nycdan; 12-28-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    maybe kimo will break some other opposing qbs knees for us in the playoffs (preferably brady), kinda like what he did to carson palmer last season with the steelers

The title of this thread is flawed. We need DT help , not DE.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss
    i agreed drob can move over to the other DE spot and we should got a big run stopping NT

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dayoungjetfan
    i agreed drob can move over to the other DE spot and we should got a big run stopping NT
    There are no 'Big Run Stopping NT' available.

We're stuck with D-Rob there weather fans like it or not for the time being.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets4ever51
    i heard so much, we need Lamarr Woodley we need a pass rusher..... why again???

Shaun Ellis is okay and Bryan Thomas is definetly having a breakout year......

Serious question.....

Ellis is a solid all-around player but not a great pass rusher. Thomas has been playing more of an OLB position than DE and, while he came on this year, is still a work in progress. Cleo Lemon - let me repeat that... Cleo Lemon! ... had all day to throw at times on Monday night. Pass rush is without a doubt the weakest part of this team.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss
    We need both. If you don't think we need DE help, you haven't been watching.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Hobson and Thomas have been doing great, but Woodley's going to be special. I'd be very surprised if he even falls to where we're drafting anyways, I think he's a lock to go top ten as of right now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jets4ever51
    kimo von suckoften does...well....suck often.

and he needs to be replaced, but we can place Shaun Ellis at that spot and try to get Btom to beef up and get...well...an insurance policy like a later round pick instead of a top 32 pick..
    why would we want thomas to beef up when he's been playing great as is?

All Pro
    Exactly what would be wrong with Moving Hobson inside next to Vilma and upgrading the outside LBer position Opposite Thomas was a quick sack artist.

Hobson is younger than Barton,and cost us less against the cap hopefully.I believe this maybe his walk yr anyway if we so choose.Wht we need is a 34 DE to play opposite Ellis,and an Intimidating hard hitting SS who can run to play alonside Rhodes..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar
    Exactly what would be wrong with Moving Hobson inside next to Vilma and upgrading the outside LBer position Opposite Thomas was a quick sack artist.

Hobson is younger than Barton,and cost us less against the cap hopefully.I believe this maybe his walk yr anyway if we so choose.Wht we need is a 34 DE to play opposite Ellis,and an Intimidating hard hitting SS who can run to play alonside Rhodes..
    I agree , add a mountain at NT and we have something.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar

i agreed with everything but i do like Erik Coleman, he is doing everything that he need but he do it quietly

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dayoungjetfan
    i agreed with everything but i do like Erik Coleman, he is doing everything that he need but he do it quietly
    Coleman hasn't been the same since that good year. We need that hard hitter against the run and pass at SS with Rhodes.Let Rhodes roam and do his thing.

Practice Squad

Cool kyle clifton 59

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    Coleman hasn't been the same since that good year. We need that hard hitter against the run and pass at SS with Rhodes.Let Rhodes roam and do his thing.
    ALREADY HAVE HIM ERICK SMITH