Thread: Penn and Stellar

JetsInsider.com Legend

Penn and Stellar

PENN & STELLAR
    CHAD'S STRONG SEASON PROVES DOUBTERS WRONG
    December 29, 2006 --
    Steve Serby - New York Post

THEY kept knocking Chad Pennington down, the other team and the doubters and the football gods, and he kept getting right back up. The odds didn't matter, and two surgeries on a torn rotator cuff didn't matter, and bringing in Patrick Ramsey and drafting Kellen Clemens in the second round and enduring the indignity of a paycut from his one and only professional football organization didn't matter.

Chad Pennington was coming back, and he was coming back to quarterback the New York Jets.

And now, here the Comeback Kid is, the end of the 2006 so much better for him than the beginning of 2006. Behind him is an excruciating rehab that only the strong can possibly survive. The Comeback Kid, now 30, stares into the forlorn eyes of the downtrodden Oakland Raiders and does not blink, because a return trip to the playoffs is waiting for him at the start of 2007 if he can just get this one for a hyperventilating fan base that now cares less than ESPN's Tony Kornheiser about his arm strength and more about its quarterback's great heart.

If he had Tom Brady's arm, he would be their Tom Brady. Pennington, 31-22 as Jets starter, has everything else that Brady has, and it is enough. He stands on the brink of playing his first full NFL season, which means durability is now part of the Pennington profile.

"A lot of things he's overcome are things that, a lot of times, get guys out of the league or guys just can't come back and play at the level that's Chad's playing," linebacker Matt Chatham said yesterday.

Having also played with Brady, Chatham has the perspective to compare their leadership skills.

"Very comparable-type guys. I'm of the similar personality where I like to be one of the first guys and last guys to leave, and I know most days," Chatham said, chuckling, "I'm wandering around the building and Chad's still here as I'm wandering out. They're the kind of guys that you know are gonna work hard, they're always gonna be there win or lose, and just have the leadership abilities."

Pennington is playoff-hardened - hell, he beat the Chargers with one arm two years ago - and the comfort level his teammates used to feel with having him under center is all the way back.

"When you know that there's one guy of those 22 that you don't ever have to worry about, the whole idea is to get as many of those 22 as you can that you just don't have to worry about. You know he'll be there every week, you know he's gonna do his job," Chatham said. "Chad's one of those guys."

This year has been an emotional roller coaster for Pennington. There was the birth of his second son, Luke, two months before the heart attack that struck his father, Elwood. As 2006 comes to a close, the news is good: The baby and the father are getting stronger. A victory over the Raiders would make for a happy New Year indeed for the Jets' Most Inspirational Player, in a landslide.

"The obvious: two shoulder surgeries . . . grueling rehab . . . four-way quarterback competition . . . really most people from outside the building had counted the guy out . . . to come back, not only win the job, but play as well as he has, be the quarterback of a team that's won nine games, and has a chance to win a 10th," Pete Kendall said.

We are Marshall. He is Chad.

"For him, I know it's gratifying. But as a teammate, it's just good to see him prove a lot of people wrong about a lot of negative things people had to say about him in the offseason. . . . You know, just people always having something to say about the man," Laveranues Coles said. "He's done nothing but win football games for this organization, and when you have somebody like that, that's been so successful, it's just good to see him prove everybody wrong."

Over the past three years, the Comeback Kid has played for three offensive coordinators: Paul Hackett, Mike Heimerdinger, Brian Schottenheimer. "

To be able to make it through a season and persevere through a lot of difficult challenges does mean a lot, and I'm excited about the 16th challenge," Pennington said.

No one could have believed that at the end of 2006, No. 10 would be going for win No. 10. No one, that is, except the Comeback Kid.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    The Comeback Kid, now 30, stares into the forlorn eyes of the downtrodden Oakland Raiders and does not blink, because a return trip to the playoffs is waiting for him at the start of 2007 if he can just get this one for a hyperventilating fan base that now cares less than ESPN's Tony Kornheiser about his arm strength and more about its quarterback's great heart.
    If only that could be true.

All Pro
    I really don't care what any of these clowns ever have to say... but this was a damn good read.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    "For him, I know it's gratifying. But as a teammate, it's just good to see him prove a lot of people wrong about a lot of negative things people had to say about him in the offseason. . . . You know, just people always having something to say about the man," Laveranues Coles said. "He's done nothing but win football games for this organization, and when you have somebody like that, that's been so successful, it's just good to see him prove everybody wrong."
    I think Laveranues Coles just told all the Chad-haters to kiss his *ss! In a round about way of course.

the NY Media disses the JETS all the time. Screw them.

We went up to New England, played one of the best games to watch this season and all we got was a bar on top of the back page.
    It happens all the time.

Now they wanna hop on, frontrunners all to sell another paper or 2.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    bump

JetsFan2012
    good article, but man that headline was awful. "Penn & Stellar"? Ugh, lol.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    good article, but man that headline was awful. "Penn & Stellar"? Ugh, lol.
    I like Cannizzaro's headline better:

REBUILT TO LAST
    GANG GREEN: YOU CAN'T KEEP OUR QB DOWN
    By MARK CANNIZZARO

SEASONED WARRIOR: When he takes the field Sunday vs. the Raiders, it will mark the first time Jets QB Chad Pennington has started all 16 games in a season. December 29, 2006 -- Sixteen games. Sixteen starts. All in one season.

It's a goal that many NFL players take for granted, one that hardly is viewed as any sort of significant accomplishment.

But for the injury-cursed Chad Pennington, it was a milestone that many thought was as difficult to attain for him as winning a Super Bowl is for most every other quarterback.

And yet when the Jets burst through the West tunnel and onto the Giants Stadium field Sunday like a bunch of crazed animals poised to beat the Raiders and seize the final wildcard playoff berth, Pennington will step under center and start his 16th game of the season for the first time in his seven-year NFL career.

Because he is the Jets' unquestioned leader. Having Pennington on the field at this time of the season in a game of this magnitude has the Jets feeling empowered. Because they know their leader is on his game despite the hot air analysis spewing from the mouths of the TV talking heads who know too little about his game to make any intelligent assessments.

"He's just one of those guys who if it's possible, he's going to get it done," wide receiver Justin McCareins said yesterday. "No one can outwork him or out-think him. Whatever limitations that are put on him physically, he makes up for and exceeds with his preparation and his work ethic."

Fullback B.J. Askew said, "He doesn't miss a detail. You look the word 'smart' up in the dictionary, it'll probably have his picture next to it."

That same picture will probably be alongside the word "leader" in the dictionary.

"He's cool in the huddle, and you never get the feeling that he's unsure of himself or his job or what he's supposed to do," McCareins said. "He instills confidence with his demeanor. He's like another coach out there in control of the offense."

McCareins then asked how critical it is to have a player like this in a week like this for a team facing the kind of pressure the Jets will face Sunday.

"It's very important during the week of preparation and practice," McCareins said. "Chad is one of those guys where, if you or someone else goes out to the practice field not feeling focused or feeling tired, he's one of those guys who's going to pick up on that and get everyone focused, reminding us how hard we worked to get to this point.

"He's always switched on, always learning, always paying attention."

And now, Pennington has proven what he desperately wanted to prove when he returned this season from his second shoulder surgery: that he can be counted on to play for all 16 games.

What makes his ride all the more inspiring is when Pennington began his comeback from the second surgery, he was setting sail into uncharted waters in that there were no previous documented cases to use as a model.

"I don't know anything about medical statistics, but with his injury I guess it's pretty special for him to come back," McCareins said. "If it's possible, though, he was going to be one of the people to come back from those injuries and play again.

"He's a guy I can look to and give an example for my son. He's definitely one of those guys who I'm always going to remember as having played with."

Askew heard all the naysayers predict doom for Pennington in the offseason and it rankled him.

"A lot people talked bad about him, didn't think he'd be able to come back," Askew said. "For what happened to him last year and for him to come back this year, start every game and play like he's been playing is pretty much a Cinderella story. It's something that you can tell your children about.

"Here's a guy who everybody doubted, and this guy went 16 games, led to the New York Jets . . . hopefully to the playoffs. It's just a great story."

That story, of course, will be greatly enhanced if Pennington is starting a 17th game of the season next weekend.

JetsFan2012
    If the Jets win on Sunday, it would be absolute robbery if Chad doesn't win Comeback Player of the Year. Absolute robbery.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If the Jets win on Sunday, it would be absolute robbery if Chad doesn't win Comeback Player of the Year. Absolute robbery.
    Ageed

He hasn't put up huge stats, but he's stayed healthy and has helped lead us to a 9-6 record so far after many so called "experts" had us pegged as a 4 win team.

Veteran
    Especially robbery by the same media that defend QBs like Vick because "they just win."

Banned
    boahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!