Thread: Todays hot Theory:'Mangini guys'

All League

Todays hot Theory:'Mangini guys'

I'm reading a lot about how Mangini will only pick a certain player based on attitude,commitment and past indiscretions and it's got me thinking:

One thing that impresses me about our new coach is that he doesn't seem the type to close off his options and give himself a narrow field to work in so while I understand the theory that he wants 'Mangini guys' are we not in danger of slightly over-playing this here?

Looking at one or two posts you could be excused for thinking that there are only about 4 or 5 guys we might be interested in come the draft and setting aside the obvious point that an awful lot of 1st round prospects in January are second day picks by the time April rolls around,Why would Mangini limit his options so drastically?

I love the idea of a team of smart,tough commited players but does a guy with a dark history have to be ruled out simply because of something he may have done in college?

Look at Coles.might be the tougest,smartest,hardest working player on the team and is by all accounts a Mangini favourite and has really emerged as a leader this year.Were he coming out this year with the baggage he came with from FSU would you have written him off as 'not a Mangini guy' and if so would it be the correct move?

Justin Miller is another and while you can see where Mangini is having his work cut out with the guy making some mental errors he's only managed to get him to be the No1 kick returner in the NFL!

So while Brian Leonard and Adam Carriker might seem like the obvious choices don't be too surprised when this team that has been full of surprises this year goes out and picks a Marcus Thomas or Brandon Meriweather if the opportunity to add a player of undoubted talent (but who needs some careful guidance)arises.

The mark of a great coach is how you handle ALL the characters and personalities in your locker room and somehow I don't see EM hand-cuffing himself too tightly to the fence marked 'good character,high motor,never made a mistake in life'

thoughts?

All Pro
    Agreed, to an extent.

It's one think taking a chance of a guy who has a chip on his shoulder- Dre Moore- who might be said to have character concerns since he has butted head with Fridgen at Maryland.

It's another thing to pick a guy who COMPLETELY let his team down by smoking marjuana and missing curfew to attend Halloween Horror Nights- despite being designated a team captain for the preivous game- in Marcus Thomas.

But this is a good post and I agree to an extent- we shouldn't automatically discount some guys who arn't A students, or team leaders, or whom don't try to cure cancer.

All Pro
    Oh, I totally disagree with bitonti in discounting JRs. Someone brought up a good point in the Jets going after Reggie Bush and its hasty to try to establish that trend after one draft.

And the coaches won't know about a person's character until they sit down and talk to him. Until then, it's really a tough call...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Mangini Guys!

the term is a little inaccurate b/c Tannenbaum really makes the final call. But these two see so much eye to eye that's as good a term as any. how about "Tangini guys"

ok GGI can see junior but it would have to be an elite pick

agreed they would take a reggie bush who had exceptional and well known work ethic

but look at the facts, they have had incredible success picking smart guys who are college graduates, why would they deviate from the formula?

JMO they aren't going to take a junior at 26 and beyond this season. The juniors will push other guys down but Mangini is still building his program and that's a chemistry thing. Maybe they take a late round junior, the CJ mosleys of the world but it's not their nature.

People talk about Justin Miller, frankly no way Tannenbaum pulls that trigger like Terry did (and maybe that's a mistake).Mangini has had to essentially discipline Miller during games, that's not a Mangini guy quality.

Chris Henry was a very talented player in college, and is a talented player in the league. Puking on a cop isn't a Mangini Guy move.

Alan Branch who didn't bother to enroll in classes, if he officially does declare that's not a mangini guy move no matter how you slice it.

If they take a guy who declares it will be a guy confident about his decision not sneaking around and filing late paperwork.

But don't get me wrong Mangini isn't going to fill his locker room with 53 Mangini guys - it's not possible or prudent. The Bellichek formula is roughly 85% your guys, 15% ballas.

I believe if for example Randy Moss made his way to the Jets (over Al Davis' dead body), the character of the players could affect the free agent - see Corey Dillion. They all don't have to be saints.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    Mangini Guys!

the term is a little inaccurate b/c Tannenbaum really makes the final call. But these two see so much eye to eye that's as good a term as any. how about "Tangini guys"

ok GGI can see junior but it would have to be an elite pick

agreed they would take a reggie bush who had exceptional and well known work ethic

but look at the facts, they have had incredible success picking smart guys who are college graduates, why would they deviate from the formula?

JMO they aren't going to take a junior at 26 and beyond this season. The juniors will push other guys down but Mangini is still building his program and that's a chemistry thing. Maybe they take a late round junior, the CJ mosleys of the world but it's not their nature.

People talk about Justin Miller, frankly no way Tannenbaum pulls that trigger like Terry did (and maybe that's a mistake).Mangini has had to essentially discipline Miller during games, that's not a Mangini guy quality.

Chris Henry was a very talented player in college, and is a talented player in the league. Puking on a cop isn't a Mangini Guy move.

Alan Branch who didn't bother to enroll in classes, if he officially does declare that's not a mangini guy move no matter how you slice it.

If they take a guy who declares it will be a guy confident about his decision not sneaking around and filing late paperwork.

But don't get me wrong Mangini isn't going to fill his locker room with 53 Mangini guys - it's not possible or prudent. The Bellichek formula is roughly 85% your guys, 15% ballas.

I believe if for example Randy Moss made his way to the Jets (over Al Davis' dead body), the character of the players could affect the free agent - see Corey Dillion. They all don't have to be saints.
    I'd agree with everything here...

But again, who are we to say he's a "bad egg." We've never talked to these guys. Seeing Jarrett taunt guys on the field gives us a pretty good idea of his character, but overall, it's really tough to say...