Thread: OT:Quick HDTV on Cable question

Practice Squad

OT:Quick HDTV on Cable question

For those of you who have LI Cablevision service...

I haven't bought an HDTV or HD ready TV yet but I'm thinking of getting one soon. I have the digital cable package. When I go to an HDTV channel it comes up with a message saying that this is HD content and to call the sales office for more information.

Do you have to pay extra for the HD Channels on Cablevision or is just a matter of them activating or installing the Tuner before they are available?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

WestSideJets
    you need to get an hd ready box, which will most likely cost more.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by WestSideJets
    you need to get an hd ready box, which will most likely cost more.

no it wont cost anything more you just have to swap out your current box. the only thing that will cost more is if you want a dvr box.

All Pro
    Yeah, you need a special cable box. Time-Warner exchanges them for free, but they are tricky. The HDTV box doesn't have an hdmi connection, only component. To get an hdmi connection you have to get the DVR box which is an additional $8.95 a month. However, it is a recorder (TIVO-type) as well, which is a great feature.

One piece of advice: I tried the hdtv box with component hook-up and the picture was clearly worse than the hdmi hook-up. Make sure you have an hdmi-hdmi connection between the box and tv.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun
    Yeah, you need a special cable box. Time-Warner exchanges them for free, but they are tricky. The HDTV box doesn't have an hdmi connection, only component. To get an hdmi connection you have to get the DVR box which is an additional $8.95 a month. However, it is a recorder (TIVO-type) as well, which is a great feature.

One piece of advice: I tried the hdtv box with component hook-up and the picture was clearly worse than the hdmi hook-up. Make sure you have an hdmi-hdmi connection between the box and tv.
    Thanks....that clarified a lot for me. It sucks that you can't just get the HD ready box with the HDMI connection. Although I really do like the DVR capability. Guess I'll just bite the bullet.

Practice Squad
    Just one other question.....

If the HDTV has the tuner built in....do I need the switchover to the HD ready box? Or will it pick it up automatically?