Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jets need a franchise type RB this is the reason they lost.

The Jets need a franchise type RB this is the reason they lost.

While I love Leon Washington he has proven today he is nothing more then a 3rd down RB. He is better in a Kevin Faulk role. The reason the Defense Collasped like it did was lack of being able to keep Brady off the field if the Jets had a healthy CM they could have won this game. The D collaspes in the 4th Qtr along With putting the game on Chads arm. Chad is a Neil Odonnel type QB if you dont give him a running game you cant win. The #1 priority for this team should be Running Back whether they do it getting Turner or trade up and get a RB with the #1 it needs to be done or this will happen again. Then the rest of the needs have to go to the defense. I think the offense is solid once they get a franchise RB.
    Last edited by nyjets1969; 01-07-2007 at 05:45 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969
    While I love Leon Washington he has proven today he is nothing more then a 3rd down RB. He is better in a Kevin Faulk role. The reason the Defense Collaspe like it did was lack of being able to keep Brady off the field if the Jets had a healthy CM they could have won this game. The D collaspes in the 4th Qtr along With putting the game on Chads arm. Chad is a Neil Odonnel type QB if you dont give him a running game you cant win. The #1 priority for this team should be Running Back whether they do it getting Turner or trade up and get a RB with the #1 it needs to be done or this will happen again. Then the rest of the needs have to go to the defense. I think the offense is solid once they get a franchise RB.
    ===============================================

I see it as more of an O line issue then a poor job by the RBs.

All Pro
    I am willing to bet $1,000 that the Jets will address RB in one way or another (FA or the draft). Do I have any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails
    ===============================================

I see it as more of an O line issue then a poor job by the RBs.

The Ol will always have a break down in games like this. Its the RB who has to have vision and power able to make 1 second adjustments you can put a brick wall there without a Curtis Martin type back who can make second adjustments you end up getting stuffed.

All Pro
    We could be better at RB, but, make no mistake, we lost the game on defense. We need to be better at getting off the field.

We need another 3-4 DE with some pass rushing ability, and a true shutdown corner, before RB. On offense, guard and RT may be bigger needs as well.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola
    We could be better at RB, but, make no mistake, we lost the game on defense. We need to be better at getting off the field.

We need another 3-4 DE with some pass rushing ability, and a true shutdown corner, before RB. On offense, guard and RT may be bigger needs as well.
    Pats were 11-16 on 3rd down.

Jets were 3-11.

Nuff said really ...

All Pro
    We don't have the road graders up front at guard.And somebody who could make second adjustments isn't going to men much if there is a wall just about every play.You need holes for a successful running game.

Hall Of Fame
    While I love Leon Washington he has proven today he is nothing more then a 3rd down RB. He is better in a Kevin Faulk role. The #1 priority for this team should be Running Back whether they do it getting Turner or trade up and get a RB with the #1 it needs to be done or this will happen again. I think the offense is solid once they get a franchise RB.
    I agree with the above. I've been saying this all season. Leon Washington is NO ONE I plan on getting rid of anytime soon, but he never will be anything better than a 3rd down back IMO.

I would also add that the OL got dominated today. So even if they had say Mike Turner they still wouldn't have been productive on the ground. That has to change.

I say hold on to Washington and Houston. Cut Blaylock and Barlow tomorrow. Then either draft a RB or sign Mike Turner through FA.......

Hall Of Fame
    The D collaspes in the 4th Qtr along With putting the game on Chads arm. Chad is a Neil Odonnel type QB if you dont give him a running game you cant win. .

pleae name one QB who has 'won' without a running game

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Ol will always have a break down in games like this. Its the RB who has to have vision and power able to make 1 second adjustments you can put a brick wall there without a Curtis Martin type back who can make second adjustments you end up getting stuffed.
    Oh Yeah look at the Championships we won with Martin! In the Biggest Game we had in over 25 years Martin rushed for 14 yds!!

All Pro
    Maybe LT or Larry Johnson could of run better against the Pats today, but unless we get a couple more big mean huge tough fat guys on the O line to compete with the Patriot D line and actualy open some running lanes, expect more games to be put on the QB to win.

Hall Of Fame
    While I love Leon Washington he has proven today he is nothing more then a 3rd down RB. He is better in a Kevin Faulk role. The reason the Defense Collasped like it did was lack of being able to keep Brady off the field if the Jets had a healthy CM they could have won this game. The D collaspes in the 4th Qtr along With putting the game on Chads arm. Chad is a Neil Odonnel type QB if you dont give him a running game you cant win. The #1 priority for this team should be Running Back whether they do it getting Turner or trade up and get a RB with the #1 it needs to be done or this will happen again. Then the rest of the needs have to go to the defense. I think the offense is solid once they get a franchise RB.
    DUMP.

Leon Washington averaged 4.5 yards a carry!

He was explosive when given the ball and did pretty damn good.

It's not his fault that we got behind early and abandoned the run.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    Oh Yeah look at the Championships we won with Martin! In the Biggest Game we had in over 25 years Martin rushed for 14 yds!!

====================================

LOL, You been waiting all week to find a post to use that stat in.

JetsFan2012
    I think he did pretty well for a rookie RB being blocked by a very unexperienced rookie O-line. Our running game is going to explode with development very quickly.

We need a franchise QB, is what we need.

All Pro
    First, we need to get guys on defense that can stop the other team from running. Then, we need to upgrade the o-line some more. Then I think the combo of Houston/Washington will be just fine.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    DUMP.

Leon Washington averaged 4.5 yards a carry!

He was explosive when given the ball and did pretty damn good.

It's not his fault that we got behind early and abandoned the run.
    Explosive on delay plays and draws. He's right ,him going straight up the middle was not working .First hits were bringing him down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails
    ====================================

LOL, You been waiting all week to find a post to use that stat in.
    And the Pats used Dillon,Maroney and Faulk just like I've been saying for years! Keep them Fresh and show different looks and Styles!!

We do need a feature back. Leon is a great change of pace and 3rd down threat. We depend too much on Chad throwing, we need a feature back to lighten the load off Chad.

You had an idiot coach with Herm if Vinny didnt go down they would had gotten a championship.
    Last edited by nyjets1969; 01-07-2007 at 06:38 PM.

And the Pats used Dillon,Maroney and Faulk just like I've been saying for years! Keep them Fresh and show different looks and Styles!!

Dillion and Maroney is better then any RB the Jets have on the roster. If the Jets had One of the 2 RBs the game would have gone differently.