Thread: Mock offseason (with explanations)

JetsInsider.com Legend

Mock offseason (with explanations)

1st Day Mock:

1st round: DE Adam Carriker - Nebraska

He's the perfect Mangini player and would give us a stout DE to play opposite Shaun Ellis. He has almost ideal size at 6'6 295 and has the frame to add even more weight. Has a motor that never quits and is incredibly strong and agile. He also has the versatility to play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, and 4-3 DT.

2nd round: RB Michael Bush - Louisville

Some people may disagree with this pick but it's a selection that needs to be made if he's still on the board. Michael suffered a "clean" break on his leg. It really isn't a serious injury and he's an elite big man at RB. He's the absolute perfect compliment for Leon Washington and would give us the big, talented bruiser to rely upon during the winter months.

2nd round: OG Tim Duckworth - Auburn

Everyone is aware that Brandon Moore has been a weakspot on the Jets O-line this year. Mangini and Tannenbaum solve that by selecting Tim with our latter of two 2nd round picks. Duckworth has a killer instinct and great intangibles. I personally think he's a better prospect than his teammate Ben Grubbs for the simple fact that he doesn't get knocked back and pushed around in the running game. This is a very solid pick at the end of round 2.

3rd round: OLB Dan Bazuin - Central Michigan

Bazuin has had some injury problems in the past but his talent and potential are through the roof. Again, he's another Mangini guy and could turn out to be a fantastic 3-4 OLB. He may take a little developing, but until then he can be a situational passrusher on 3rd downs. Mangini adds some depth and very possible a future great player in round 3.

Free Agency Signings:

CB Nate Clements

Asantae Samuel will probably get slapped with the franchise tag so Mangini pushes for Clements. He's the elite, lockdown corner that we desperately need and would potentially give us a very good secondary by pairing him with Rhodes.

OT Jordan Black

Black isn't a star by any stretch of the imagination, but he would give us a cheap, solid RT to compete with Anthony Clement for the starting job. Simple explanation for this one.

TE Daniel Graham

Graham is very solid. He's one of the better blocking TE's in the league and has good hands. He isn't an amazing athlete but should come at a reasonable price. Right now Baker is basically the only TE on our roster that is even moderately dangerous (Sean Ryan is nothing more than a good blocking H-back).

WR Kevin Curtis

One of the better slot receivers in the league. McCareins is probably gone now and Tim Dwight is old. This is another reasonably cheap signing that would add to the WR core.

Re-Signings:

OT Anthony Clement
    LB Victor Hobson (extension)
    WR Jerricho Cotchery (extension)
    CB Hank Poteat
    DE Dave Ball
    OG Wade Smith

Cuts:

RB Derrick Blaylock
    RB Kevan Barlow
    WR Justin McCareins
    LB Brad Kassell
    CB David Barrett
    DT Sione Pouha
    FB B.J. Askew

Projected 2007 Starting Lineup:

QB Chad Pennington

RB Michael Bush/Leon Washington

FB Stacy Tutt

WR Laveranues Coles
    WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Daniel Graham

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG Pete Kendall
    C Nick Mangold
    RG Tim Duckworth
    RT Anthony Clement

DE Shaun Ellis
    NT Dewayne Robertson
    DE Adam Carriker

OLB Bryan Thomas
    ILB Jonathan Vilma
    ILB Eric Barton
    OLB Victor Hobson

CB Nate Clements
    CB Andre Dyson

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Eric Smith
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-09-2007 at 05:42 PM.

TMahoney
    Wow, if it went down like that I'd be ecstatic.

Hall Of Fame
    Kevin Curtis is restricted, I believe and is going to get a starting job. Not realistic.

I also don't care for Tim Duckworth, if we're talking Josh Beekman or Ben Grubbs im down with that though.

The rest I like though.

Practice Squad
    Mock offseason (with explanations)

1st Day Mock:

1st round: DE Adam Carriker – Nebraska/AGREE

He's the perfect Mangini player and would give us a stout DE to play opposite Shaun Ellis. He has almost ideal size at 6'6 295 and has the frame to add even more weight. Has a motor that never quits and is incredibly strong and agile. He also has the versatility to play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, and 4-3 DT.

2nd round: RB Michael Bush – Louisville/AGREE

Some people may disagree with this pick but it's a selection that needs to be made if he's still on the board. Michael suffered a "clean" break on his leg. It really isn't a serious injury and he's an elite big man at RB. He's the absolute perfect compliment for Leon Washington and would give us the big, talented bruiser to rely upon during the winter months.

2nd round: OG Tim Duckworth – Auburn/AGREE

Everyone is aware that Brandon Moore has been a weakspot on the Jets O-line this year. Mangini and Tannenbaum solve that by selecting Tim with our latter of two 2nd round picks. Duckworth has a killer instinct and great intangibles. I personally think he's a better prospect than his teammate Ben Grubbs for the simple fact that he doesn't get knocked back and pushed around in the running game. This is a very solid pick at the end of round 2.

3rd round: OLB Dan Bazuin - Central Michigan/AGREE

Bazuin has had some injury problems in the past but his talent and potential are through the roof. Again, he's another Mangini guy and could turn out to be a fantastic 3-4 OLB. He may take a little developing, but until then he can be a situational passrusher on 3rd downs. Mangini adds some depth and very possible a future great player in round 3.

Free Agency Signings:

CB Nate Clements/AGREE BUT CAN WE REALLY GET HIM

Asantae Samuel will probably get slapped with the franchise tag so Mangini pushes for Clements. He's the elite, lockdown corner that we desperately need and would potentially give us a very good secondary by pairing him with Rhodes.

OT Jordan Black/GOOD IDEA AND MAYBE ED BLANTON ALSO

Black isn't a star by any stretch of the imagination, but he would give us a cheap, solid RT to compete with Anthony Clement for the starting job. Simple explanation for this one.

TE Daniel Graham/DON’T THINK HE WOULD WANT TO COME HERE TO BACKUP BAKER
    Graham is very solid. He's one of the better blocking TE's in the league and has good hands. He isn't an amazing athlete but should come at a reasonable price. Right now Baker is basically the only TE on our roster that is even moderately dangerous (Sean Ryan is nothing more than a good blocking H-back).

WR Kevin Curtis/NOT SURE

One of the better slot receivers in the league. McCareins is probably gone now and Tim Dwight is old. This is another reasonably cheap signing that would add to the WR core.

Re-Signings:

OT Anthony Clement/AGREE
    LB Victor Hobson (extension)/Depends on amount of Money
    WR Jerricho Cotchery (extension)/ABSOLUTELY
    CB Hank Poteat/DEPT
    DE Dave Ball/DEPT
    OG Wade Smith/MAYBE DEVELOPE TO TAKE OVER FOR PETE KENDALL

Cuts:

RB Derrick Blaylock/AGREE
    RB Kevan Barlow/AGREE
    WR Justin McCareins/AGREE
    LB Brad Kassell/AGREE
    CB David Barrett/I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF HE CAN PLAY SAFTY
    DT Sione Pouha/NOT SURE YET, WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW HE LOOKS IN CAMP
    FB B.J. Askew/AGREE

Projected 2007 Starting Lineup:

QB Chad Pennington/NO COMMENTS

RB Michael Bush/Leon Washington/AGREE

FB Stacy Tutt/SOUND GOOD, SEEM TO BE A MANGINI KIND OF PLAYER FROM QB TO FB WOW

WR Laveranues Coles/AGREE
    WR Jerricho Cotchery/AGREE

TE Daniel Graham/DISAGREE/CHRIS BAKER BABY!!!

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson/AGREE
    LG Pete Kendall/AGREE
    C Nick Mangold/AGREE
    RG Tim Duckworth/AGREE
    RT Anthony Clement/NOT SURE

DE Shaun Ellis/AGREE
    NT Dewayne Robertson/AGREE
    DE Adam Carriker/YOU KNOW I AGREE ON THIS ONE

OLB Bryan Thomas/AGREE
    ILB Jonathan Vilma/AGREE
    ILB Eric Barton/AGREE
    OLB Victor Hobson/AGREE

CB Nate Clements/AGREE
    CB Andre Dyson/AGREE

FS Kerry Rhodes/AGREE

SS Eric Smith/NOT SURE

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'll admit, it'd definitely be amusing seeing Tutt block for Bush, not too often you see a RB being signifigantly bigger than his lead blocker.

Bush will be long gone before 2nd

I could see us going after him with our first

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rudajnwhat
    I could see us going after him with our first
    I don't know about that one.

Yeah, he's top 15 potential, But he's coming off of an injury and probably won't be 100 percent until after the combine. Not to mention there's 3 major knocks against him right now.

- Some people argue that he's a system back which is why Louisville didn't struggle against the Run after he got injured.
    - His 40 time will directly impact where he is drafted, if he runs a poor 40 I could see him dropping all the way into the Third.
    - He's a bit tall as a Runningback

All Pro
    -Love Carriker--I would be extremely happy if hes our first round pick.

--Instead of Wasting a 2nd round pick on Bush why not just sign TJ duckett to a decent deal? Someone with a first round grade is going to slip to the second, and as of now Micheal Bush does not have a first round grade. (I want to see him lose the weight hes gained since his broken leg, and run atleast a 4.5)

--Ill be honest, I dont know much about Duckworth as I just started my draft process, but reading his scouting report gave me chills reading the " PLays with a nasty demeonor, and killer instinct". I LOVE that. So as of now, while I dont know if this is where he should be drafted, I like the guy and pick.

--Love the pick. Personally I think we can get a better first round grade OLB in round one, but if we dont, Ill be happy with the pick here. Btw why resign hobson and draft this guy? Hobson still has a year left, and can train "Buzz" for a year before he leaves.

Nate Clements--Not a Mangini signing, as this guy is going to get a 50m dollar contract. Mangini has been known for developing CB's, and I see us developing studs within the draft that are not set in their ways yet.

Jordan Black--Not bad at all, and might improve our running game.

Ben graham---Ding Ding Ding, great signing. Great blocker, and a adequte receiver. One of my biggest wishes this offseason.

Kevin Curtis--Love the guy, but will be pretty hard to get and more expensive then you think.

Anthony Clement--I would like to resign him cheap, if not he really is just a stopgap. I want our backup RT spot to go to a developing youngster.

Victor Hobson--I already stated in my salary cap thread that Hobsons going to want around a 5 year--25m dollar deal and I stated why. I dont want to resign him, and instead use him for a year to teach a youngster(In this great OLB draft)

Hank Poteat--Hated the guy, but has played really good IMO. Hopefully we sign him to a cheap 3 year deal. Used perfect form at times, and is a team player.

Jericho is priority number 1. Ill be waiting to read the bottom line on ESPN saying the jets agree to a 6 year extension, and paying him anywhere around 5m a year and ill be happy.

Derrick Blaylock , AND kevin Barlow may actually have trade value. Both second day picks, but both definetly may get us a pick.

Pouha--Why would you cut him--Hes super cheap, and a big body.

Overall loved the draft(Cept for Bush), and the majority of this mock offseason. Love Carriker so im glad we agree on prospects this offseason.

I dont think we should resign Hobson, and secondly I would like to address the safety position in this draft thats loadeddddd with stud safeties IMO.

All Pro
    Who wrote that about Duckworth? Is a good puller and overall solid in the run game, but I would hardly say he has a killer instinct. Ray Gant of Georgia owned him as he recorded 2 sacks on Ducky...

Duckworth's nice, but I don't think he'd be a good value in 2.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider
    Who wrote that about Duckworth? Is a good puller and overall solid in the run game, but I would hardly say he has a killer instinct. Ray Gant of Georgia owned him as he recorded 2 sacks on Ducky...

Duckworth's nice, but I don't think he'd be a good value in 2.
    Scott Wright Duckworth

All Pro
    Here's Mine
    Provided we get Adalius Thomas from Ravens

Mike Bush RB
    Adam Carriker DE
    Anthony Spencer OLB
    Sabby Piscitelli SS

Kurt Quarterman OG

If we get Turner from Sandiego

LaMarr Woodley OLB
    Adam Carriker DE
    Brandon Mebane DE
    Sabby Piscitelli SS

Kurt Quarterman OG

Veteran
    What happens with Trey Teague? Any shot at him being a stop-gap RT?

oh, but once again UT, I love this mock.

Banned
    Eric SMith at SS? The same eric smith that blew the coverage on the brady td pass to faulk that iced the game?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    Eric SMith at SS? The same eric smith that blew the coverage on the brady td pass to faulk that iced the game?
    I can take a rookie getting caught and being out of position...
    what I can't take is watching a guy being physically out matched like Coleman is time and again - especially one on one with taller receivers.

All League
    I like this draft. Nice work.
    Leonard will be rated higher than Bush on the Jets board in my opinion though.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    That wasn't really his fault too much. He was a bit out of position but he had to be to have any chance of stopping a run play there. Great designed play with the double pick. Brian Dawkins isn't making a stop there either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    bump

TMahoney
    What really seals this mock for me is the free agent signings.

They're exactly what I want and what I think Tangini would do.

Bring in another journeyman tackle to compete with Clement and provide depth.

Steal an elite, hard working, blue collar corner from a division rival.

Steal a very underrated Daniel Graham from the Patriots to give us 2 quality receiving TE's.

Sign a great slot receiver that won't cost too much but will stretch the field.

All Pro
    Love this draft.

The only problem for me is RT. That's why free agency will be so important. If we can fill one or two of our holes i.e. RB, RT, DE, LB via FA then we're in good shape going in to the draft.