The year to trade!

Trade:
    This year's number 1
    Our 2nd rounder this year
    Next year's number 1
    Justin McCareins

For:
    Tampa Bay's #4 pick.

We have enough cap space to fill our needs at cb, dt, and ol the next 2 years. Guys like Adam Carriker and Michael Bush could be solid guys, but really don't seem like stars in the making at 25. Tampa Bay is horrible AND aging, and just needs as many picks as possible. At 4 we'd likely be guaranteed a shot at the best RB prospect in years or the best WR prospect in years. I think Peterson and Johnson are lock superstars. Why not do it. I think we've shown the ability to make due with marginal talent and we're got money to burn, time to actually bring in some offensive playmakers.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I don't mind the idea of trading up, but that's a lot to give up, no?

Hall Of Fame

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    Trade:
    This year's number 1
    Next year's number 1
    Justin McCareins

For:
    Tampa Bay's #4 pick.

We have enough cap space to fill our needs at cb, dt, and ol the next 2 years. Guys like Adam Carriker and Michael Bush could be solid guys, but really don't seem like stars in the making at 25. Tampa Bay is horrible AND aging, and just needs as many picks as possible. At 4 we'd likely be guaranteed a shot at the best RB prospect in years or the best WR prospect in years. I think Peterson and Johnson are lock superstars. Why not do it. I think we've shown the ability to make due with marginal talent and we're got money to burn, time to actually bring in some offensive playmakers.
    Woah, NO WAY....Two 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick and a player to move up from #25 to #4???? No thanks.

All Pro
    N
    O

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead
    Woah, NO WAY....Two 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick and a player to move up from #25 to #4???? No thanks.
    not a player...justin mccareins

Hall Of Fame
    Trade:
    This year's number 1
    Next year's number 1
    Justin McCareins

For:
    Tampa Bay's #4 pick.

Johnson is a wide reciever

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Two 1st rounder's and a 2nd rounder(not even mentioning J-Mac).... for one pick..... just think of the potential you are giving up for one player.... sounds like a TERRIBBLE deal to me.....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Johnson is a wide reciever
    Although Costello from the NY Post also made a mistake and wrote that calvin johnson was a rb too today.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    With the holes we have on defense, and how deep this draft is shaping up to be defensively, I'll pass.

Veteran
    Mangini will not trade up. He got mangold with what #29? he will pick 25 and fill a need like a big run stopper or possibly some defensive back help. They have to get players who will be able to stop the Pats from making 3rd down passes with ease. Some hard ass hitting sob that will scare the daylights out of their no name receivers and make them cough up the ball.

Rookie
    If I ever gave that much up, it would be for a DT or DE or cover corner. WR and RB could be filled in the 2nd round, and we dont need a WR anyway.

Hall Of Fame

Rule of Thumb..

NEVER GIVE UP NEXT YEAR'S 1ST ROUND PICK UNLESS YOU ARE A SB CALIBER TEAM WITHOUT THE PICK!!!

I don't care what player you are targeting, it is horrible business practice in the NFL (and NBA) to give up the following year's 1st rounder for a trade. I honestly can't remember a trading team that has benefited in the long run from such a move.

PLUS, such a move can blow up in a GM's face. Ask Ernie Acorsi and Isiah Thomas about it.

Ernie gave up a 1st round pick that turned into a top 5 pick the next year ans All-Pro Shawn Merrimen. Isiah gave up a 1st rounder which turned out to be the 2nd overall.

A trade of the 2008 1st rounder could actually ruin the Tangini tenor because there is as much chance as the 2007 1st rounder obtaining being a high impact player as there is a flood of injuries sabotaging the 2007 season which would lead to a top 10 pick in 2008. But guess what? The Jets wouldn't have it.

AGAIN, NEVER TRADE A 1ST ROUNDER FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR UNLESS YOU ARE A SB CALIBER TEAM WITHOUT THE PICK!!!

All League
    At 4 we'd likely be guaranteed a shot at the best RB prospect in years or the best WR prospect in years. I think Peterson and Johnson are lock superstars. Why not do it.

You can't be serious. You said two #1's and a #2 in order to draft Adrian Peterson, didn't you? Oh wow. I really hope Mangini and Tannenbaum aren't that foolish. I mean, I kind of think they saw Brady's domination on Sunday, and might understand that defense wins championships and use our high draft picks accordingly. Wow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    NEVER GIVE UP NEXT YEAR'S 1ST ROUND PICK UNLESS YOU ARE A SB CALIBER TEAM WITHOUT THE PICK!!!

I don't care what player you are targeting, it is horrible business practice in the NFL (and NBA) to give up the following year's 1st rounder for a trade. I honestly can't remember a trading team that has benefited in the long run from such a move.

PLUS, such a move can blow up in a GM's face. Ask Ernie Acorsi and Isiah Thomas about it.

Ernie gave up a 1st round pick that turned into a top 5 pick the next year ans All-Pro Shawn Merrimen. Isiah gave up a 1st rounder which turned out to be the 2nd overall.

A trade of the 2008 1st rounder could actually ruin the Tangini tenor because there is as much chance as the 2007 1st rounder obtaining being a high impact player as there is a flood of injuries sabotaging the 2007 season which would lead to a top 10 pick in 2008. But guess what? The Jets wouldn't have it.

AGAIN, NEVER TRADE A 1ST ROUNDER FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR UNLESS YOU ARE A SB CALIBER TEAM WITHOUT THE PICK!!!
    The NBA part I'd dissagree about.

Eddy Curry's having an All-Star year, meanwhile Tyrus Thomas can't even get in the game and hasn't shown much when he has.

NBA draft picks and NFL draft picks are like apples and oranges, in the NBA unless it's a high lottery pick in a year like 2003, it's not that big a deal. Draft picks just don't hold as much value like they do in the NFL.

In hindsight, the Curry trade isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, especially with the level that Eddy's been playing at this season. In the end, if the guy keeps improving at the level he has the trade will have totally been worth it. Zeke did what he had to do to get a legit big man, now the Knicks are probably going to have the best front court in the East within 2 years.

The sad part is, in that same trade Zeke traded for Rose in that trade as well, then cut him before he could reap the benefits of his expiring contract.

All Pro
    Trade:
    This year's number 1
    Next year's number 1
    Justin McCareins

For:
    Tampa Bay's #4 pick.

Why don't you just trade all of your draft picks for Ricky Williams.

All Pro
    In a word........No

Hall Of Fame
    Surprisingly draft point value wise that is not all that much of a potential stretch.

4th overall pick = 1800

our 1st this year = 720
    our 2nd this year = 330
    McCairens is not worth much perhaps a mide 4th rounder = 50
    Our pick next year would have to be no better than about what it is this year for it to equal out points wise.

The Jets tried to trade up to get bush last year supposidely and they didn't go to these lengths to get him so I doubt they'd go that far for Peterson or Johnson even those guys probably will be great.

The Jets still have multiple holes to fill, clever coaching, not the toughest schedule and some good years by certain players covered up some of these holes. Better to hang onto the picks, I could see them perhaps moving up in the draft but not to that extreme.

Hall Of Fame
    or -- you could trade our #1 and #2 to get up to the top 15.

Veteran

if you look at the draft order

Adrian Peterson could slip way below four. Check this out
    1. Oakland - Lamont Jordan [also never picking AP under any circumstances]
    2. Detroit - Kevan Jones
    3. Cleveland - Reuben Droughns
    4. Tampa - Cadillac
    6. Washington - Portis
    7. Vikings - Chester Taylor
    8. Texans -

Up until perhaps the texans, ever one of these teams has a very good back and a myriad of needs. We could probably trade up to 7, save some picks, and still get adrian peterson. Other than perhaps us, the Texans, or the Giants, very few teams have a need at running back, or the luxury to take a back in lieu of other needs. We probably can get Marshawn Lynch just by staying put, so no need to mortgage the team for AP.