Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Craplets' could damage Vista launch: Microsoft exec

All League

'Craplets' could damage Vista launch: Microsoft exec

'Craplets' could damage Vista launch: Microsoft exec

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 | 6:38 PM ET
    CBC News

A senior Microsoft Corp. executive says the company is concerned that uncertified third-party software loaded onto new computers by manufacturers could hurt the launch of consumer versions of its Windows Vista operating system later this month.

In a discussion Tuesday night at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the Microsoft official told CBC News Online, on condition of anonymity, that the world's largest software maker is frustrated by legal shackles that prevent the company from restricting what kinds of software major computer makers install on new PCs.

"We can't do anything about it because it would be illegal," the executive said in reference to restrictions placed on the company following a U.S. federal anti-trust lawsuit against the company.

Computer makers paid to add software
    The concern arises from third-party software that hardware makers commonly install on new computers in exchange for a fee, many of which have not been tested and certified by Microsoft to work with Vista, the executive said. They include things such as links to online services, and demo versions of programs.

"We call them craplets," the official said. The term is a contraction of the words "crap" and "applet." An applet is a small computer program or application.

The success of Microsoft's first major revision to its operating system in years could rest on whether or not the uncertified applets cause widespread malfunctions in consumer versions of Windows Vista that ship with new PCs starting Jan. 30.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, the govt shouldn't allow craplets. These are annoying to PC users when you first get your PC. You have 30 resident programs that are hard to get rid off and annoy you when you don't want them. A good example is AIM or America On Line.

Banned
    We XP users don't want Vista either, so we're on the same side on this one. I mean, why monkey with the perfect OS if you don't have to?

SAR I

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    We XP users don't want Vista either, so we're on the same side on this one. I mean, why monkey with the perfect OS if you don't have to?

SAR I
    before this post I would have bet $100 you worked for microsoft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LMAO @ 'craplets'!

Thats the same word I used to describe what I find in my daughter's diapers. I shoulda TM'd that.

All League
    Why doesn't Microsoft make their own computer? Problem solved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    before this post I would have bet $100 you worked for microsoft
    No, just a fan of the corporation that saved America and is responsible for most of the wealth we have today in this country.

I also detest those that try to be different just for the sake of being 'different'. Like there's something wrong with conformity and uniformity in today's networked world. In order for everything to work smoothly together, we all need to be running the same software. So far, all but 6% of us have made the right choice.

SAR I

Charter JI Member
    So far, all but 6% of us have made the right choice.

SAR I
    I avoided that thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    LMAO @ 'craplets'!

Thats the same word I used to describe what I find in my daughter's diapers. I shoulda TM'd that.
    For a moment, while watching Steve Job's keynote, I wished I had trademarked the name "iPhone". But then he put up a Microsoft Powerpoint Slide that said "5 Hours of Battery Life" and I just laughed and laughed.

Only Apple could be so pompous to invent the world's most bloated convergence device and then cripple it with a non-removeable battery. Flying from NY to LA for an important business meeting? Better not watch a movie or two or you won't have a phone when you arrive.

Think Different. Yup.

SAR I

Banned
    I avoided that thread
    Don't you hate when the Jets get in the way of computer arguments? Thank God the football season is only 20 weeks long.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    For a moment, while watching Steve Job's keynote, I wished I had trademarked the name "iPhone". But then he put up a Microsoft Powerpoint Slide that said "5 Hours of Battery Life" and I just laughed and laughed.

Only Apple could be so pompous to invent the world's most bloated convergence device and then cripple it with a non-removeable battery. Flying from NY to LA for an important business meeting? Better not watch a movie or two or you won't have a phone when you arrive.

Think Different. Yup.

SAR I
    5 HOURS?! Thats really L A M E. That thing costs $100 per hour of battery life...

All Pro
    No, just a fan of the corporation that saved America and is responsible for most of the wealth we have today in this country.

I also detest those that try to be different just for the sake of being 'different'. Like there's something wrong with conformity and uniformity in today's networked world. In order for everything to work smoothly together, we all need to be running the same software. So far, all but 6% of us have made the right choice.

SAR I
    I can't remember the exact quote, but it was once stated that "when people are given complete freedom of choice and can exercise their own free-will - they'll usually copy what everyone else does".

Charter JI Member
    5 hrs.? Something tells me this is being marketed to the kids not the adults.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    5 HOURS?! Thats really L A M E. That thing costs $100 per hour of battery life...
    I encourage you to go here and watch the entire keynote. The new Apple TV product is amazing and the iPhone demo will blow you away until the battery slide goes up and then WHAM it's like "why bother"?

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I would hope the battery is rechargeable at least....lol

If its going to be a 'phone' then market extra batteries for it THAT YOU CAN PUT IN YOURSELF

Gay...i was really hoping the Zune would kick ass so I could bag my ipod...oh well...

Banned
    5 hrs.? Something tells me this is being marketed to the kids not the adults.
    Nope.

At $500 for the smallest HD, it's a rich man's toy if there ever was one and that's the problem.

Unless you take a bus to work for an hour each day, it's video and websurfing functionality is useless for the serious business traveler as you eat up your juice and have no opportunity to swap the battery out.

To their credit, they've created the best iPod UI ever, the real web browsing capabilities are stellar, and the phone UI is great too. The problem is that by pushing all these together in one device with a non-removeable, short life battery, all three become useless.

"I'm an iPhone!" "I'm a Blackberry." Let the spoofs begin.

SAR I

Banned
    Nope.

At $500 for the smallest HD, it's a rich man's toy if there ever was one and that's the problem.

Unless you take a bus to work for an hour each day, it's video and websurfing functionality is useless for the serious business traveler as you eat up your juice and have no opportunity to swap the battery out.

To their credit, they've created the best iPod UI ever, the real web browsing capabilities are stellar, and the phone UI is great too. The problem is that by pushing all these together in one device with a non-removeable, short life battery, all three become useless.

"I'm an iPhone!" "I'm a Blackberry." Let the spoofs begin.

SAR I

So true. The product looks amazing though.

As for wanting to trademark the name "iPhone," supposedly Linksys already has a product with that name. I'm sure Cisco's already gearing up for a lawsuit.

Banned

Think Different. Yup.

SAR I
    Despite the fact that I am an avid Apple user/fan... I couldn't agree with you more. Furthermore, Cisco owns the copyright on iPhone and Apple used it inspite of the fact that Cisco has a VOIP product called iPhone and denied giving permission to Apple to use this brand name. Between the bad branding decisions and introducing an even worse product, these are both very, very bad decisions by Apple...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6250511.stm

This is funny. Microsoft is complaining about the same thing that made Gates the richest man in the world. They got PC makers to ship their OS on the computer.

Windows -- the ORIGINAL "Craplet".

SAR I

Arguably the funniest thing you've ever posted.

I'm a software engineer, so I know CRAP when I see it.