Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barlow wants to stay and restructure

JetsInsider.com Legend

Barlow wants to stay and restructure

Jets: Barlow wants to be part of Mangini era
    Friday, January 12, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Jets running back Kevan Barlow is hoping to get a second chance to make a first impression next season.

Barlow, a former 1,000-yard rusher with the 49ers, was obtained three weeks before this season started and never really gained his footing. He rushed for a career-low 370 yards on 131 carries (2.8-yard average) but had six touchdowns. He was inactive four of the last five games.

Late in the season, he revealed that after undergoing knee surgery last May he felt like he was playing on "one leg" all season.

"Last year was a learning experience," Barlow told The Star-Ledger this week. "I got traded just before the season and that was tough. I was playing under my fifth offensive coordinator in five years.

"I know I can play in this league. I really want to come back and play for a coach like Eric Mangini. He's going to be a great coach in this league and I want to be a part of it. He treated me great. I not only loved playing for him but I also liked him as a person. He's very sincere, very genuine. He's a man of his word."

As the Jets try to shore up their running back situation, they might have the answer in Barlow as the complement to Leon Washington, who ran for 650 yards and four TDs as a rookie. It appears the Jets will keep either Barlow or Cedric Houston (374 yards, five TDs), but not both.

The unrestricted free-agent running back class is said to be thin this year. And the Chargers are expected to put a first-round tender on restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner -- meaning any team that signs him to an offer sheet must give up a first-round pick if San Diego doesn't match.

As a result, it's unlikely the Jets would part with a first-rounder for Turner, but they could try to work out a trade. Also, they may select a running back in the draft, having a first-round (No. 26) and two second-round selections.

"Kevan did some very positive things for us," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said. "Certainly, the second New England game of the regular season (75 yards, one TD on 17 carries in a 17-14 victory) was productive. He had six rushing touchdowns.

"He did give us a good level of production for the season and now we're going to see what we can do in the future with him."

Barlow, a sixth-year pro, is scheduled to make a base salary of $3.25 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. He'll almost certainly have to restructure his contract.

"I'll leave that up to my agent and the organization, but I'm sure something can be worked out," he said.

All Pro
    How about he restructure his performance?

You have to like his attitude. Maybe he wasn't 100% this season, he may get another shot with us next season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    (2.8-yard average)
    That number is ugly and completely unacceptable. He wants to restructure and stay, it'll have to be for near the vet minimum. And I'd still want a new franchise back regardless.

New HB
    Leon
    Barlow
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 01-12-2007 at 07:42 PM.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    I'll take him back at league minimum.... not a dime more... and the only reason I give him ANY consideration over Houston is because Houston just can't seem to stay healthy.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    That number is ugly and completely unacceptable. He wants to restructure, it'll have to be for near the vet minimum. And I'd still want a new frachise back regardless.

New HB
    Leon
    Barlow
    ^^^... what he said...

I'd give him vet minimum and some incentives based on performance. But why not keep Houston too? He's a young back with good size. I assume Derrick Blaylock will be cut. Keep 4 backs (Leon, draft pick, Houston, Barlow) at least through the end of training camp.

All Pro
    "I know I can play in this league. I really want to come back and play for a coach like Eric Mangini. He's going to be a great coach in this league and I want to be a part of it. He treated me great. I not only loved playing for him but I also liked him as a person. He's very sincere, very genuine. He's a man of his word."
    Pretty good from a guy who compared his previous coach to the leader of the Third Reich ...

I think if he restructures to an acceptable amount, you keep him around. Worst that can happen is he gets beaten out in camp and we cut him, no big loss. Even if we draft someone / pick up a FA, keeping Washington and Barlow (or Houston) looks like a pretty strong stable of backs to me. Protects against injuries.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    That number is ugly and completely unacceptable. He wants to restructure and stay, it'll have to be for near the vet minimum. And I'd still want a new franchise back regardless.

New HB
    Leon
    Barlow
    Once we pick up our new running back, I would rather have Houston back him up and play in certain spots. I like his attitude, but Houston is younger and more of a threat on the field.

Veteran
    give the guy a chance...he was a solid back and he wants to show us he's not completely useless when healthy...Barlow performed 2 acts of mangini this season 1- after being placed inactive he displayed his willingness to join the ST unit to help the TEAM 2- he is willing to restructure and show us what he has got for both himself and the TEAM...he seems like a TEAM player and we could use as many of those as we can get

All Pro
    Jets: Barlow wants to be part of Mangini era
    Friday, January 12, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Jets running back Kevan Barlow is hoping to get a second chance to make a first impression next season.

Barlow, a former 1,000-yard rusher with the 49ers, was obtained three weeks before this season started and never really gained his footing. He rushed for a career-low 370 yards on 131 carries (2.8-yard average) but had six touchdowns. He was inactive four of the last five games.

Late in the season, he revealed that after undergoing knee surgery last May he felt like he was playing on "one leg" all season.

"Last year was a learning experience," Barlow told The Star-Ledger this week. "I got traded just before the season and that was tough. I was playing under my fifth offensive coordinator in five years.

As the Jets try to shore up their running back situation, they might have the answer in Barlow as the complement to Leon Washington, who ran for 650 yards and four TDs as a rookie. It appears the Jets will keep either Barlow or Cedric Houston (374 yards, five TDs), but not both.

The unrestricted free-agent running back class is said to be thin this year. And the Chargers are expected to put a first-round tender on restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner -- meaning any team that signs him to an offer sheet must give up a first-round pick if San Diego doesn't match.

As a result, it's unlikely the Jets would part with a first-rounder for Turner, but they could try to work out a trade. Also, they may select a running back in the draft, having a first-round (No. 26) and two second-round selections.

"Kevan did some very positive things for us," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said. "Certainly, the second New England game of the regular season (75 yards, one TD on 17 carries in a 17-14 victory) was productive. He had six rushing touchdowns.

"He did give us a good level of production for the season and now we're going to see what we can do in the future with him."

Barlow, a sixth-year pro, is scheduled to make a base salary of $3.25 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. He'll almost certainly have to restructure his contract.

"I'll leave that up to my agent and the organization, but I'm sure something can be worked out," he said.

Barlow has grown on me, and a interview like this is great.

Things are changing in Jet Land, Maybe all this good character is spreading like an infection.

Quick question?

Could it possibly be our Oline for the poor RB play specifically run blocking? If we dont upgrade the Oline is Marshawn lynch or Turner going to do much behind this Oline against tough opponents?

Im 100 percent for Barlow cutting down his base salary and replacing it with incentives.

Hopefully well keep improving the Oline........

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i like this player for several reasons

1) he's a great short yardage back
    2) he's a mudder
    3) he looks up to CuMart and is late maturing

restructure the deal (i.e. give back money) - he can stay that's fine with me

let houston and barlow compete

Hall Of Fame
    why restructure and hurt the long term? we have the cap space now... use it to clean house and get rid of JAGs

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    why restructure and hurt the long term? we have the cap space now... use it to clean house and get rid of JAGs
    BB, Barlow has no cap hit if we cut him. He actually is quite tradable because of that.

His base is around 3m this year.

Theres different types of restructuring. The type you suggested is turing Base Salary to Signing Bonus and spreading it with the length of his contract which I am ALSO FIRMLY AGAINST.

But what Im thinking is taking away his Base Salary and converting it into incentives kind of like Chad did.

If Barlow puts up a 1000, or 10 Td, or 4 YPC pay him his 3m(Which is cheap for that type of rusher in this market)---But if he doesnt reach his incentives, he doesnt see a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Could it possibly be our Oline for the poor RB play specifically run blocking?
    I've thought that as well. So I wouldn't be too unhappy if we went with a big, run-blocking lineman or even two on the first day.

But with Barlow, I think his running style is the biggest reason for his low yards per carry. He routinely hunts and pecks at the line, looking for a good opening. Somebody on the board says he's "running on egg shells". As a big, strong back he should just slam into the line on every play. Sure, sometimes he'll miss the best hole. But it's not like he was getting a 40 yard breakaway run with his dancing at the line.

Barlow's game is best served if he bangs away at the line and gets consistent yardage. As a big back, in the third and forth quarters, he'll be getting more yardage as the defense wears down. Barlow needs to improve his power running and run like he's trying to score a TD on every play. That would help the Jets to develop a rushing offense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    But with Barlow, I think his running style is the biggest reason for his low yards per carry. He routinely hunts and pecks at the line, looking for a good opening. Somebody on the board says he's "running on egg shells". As a big, strong back he should just slam into the line on every play. Sure, sometimes he'll miss the best hole. But it's not like he was getting a 40 yard breakaway run with his dancing at the line.
    because chads back there

All Pro
    Touching that this "bad locker room guy" is singing this tune. I almost want to keep him on just for his turnaround. Besides that I'm not impressed with Houston and if there's a chance Barlow was lame from the knee then restructure and bring him to camp to see if he impresses.

All Pro
    I don't know if you guys noticed but after some big wins this year i.e NE, Miami, the Raiders etc etc, Barlow was ALWAYS one of the first guys to hug Mangini and w/ a big smile. I wouldn;t be surprised if he stays. I think the Jets will address RB some way some how BUT this year does seem prety week in both FA and the draft as far as RB. If the staff is not in love w/ Michael Turner, I'm not sure there is a franchise RB answer this year unless we trade up.
    Last edited by LesterLyles; 01-13-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't take the guy back even if he begged.........

Here are just a few thoughts i have on this situation:

1) Love the attitude, whether its because he doesnt want to get bounced from the league, or because he's sincere, either way i like it.

2) We gave up a 4th round pick for him, might as well give him more time, especially since he was still recovering.

3) We have up until late august to decide, and training camp should bring lots of answers.

4) Its not like we dont have the money to sign Turner and keep Barlow, restructured salary or not. If we had to get under the salary cap, then i would understand cutting him.

eLOT