Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't the Schott/Phins talk a sign of a weak ownership?

Veteran

Isn't the Schott/Phins talk a sign of a weak ownership?

Here is my question, if Woody wanted to have some continuity wouldn't he give some $$ towards schotty?

All League
    Have you even considered the possibility that it's not about the money, that Schottenheimer wants the opportunity to run his own team ?

Veteran
    It would be horrible in league-wide circles to not allow members of your own staff to pursue higher jobs; no one would want to come here if we did that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    Here is my question, if Woody wanted to have some continuity wouldn't he give some $$ towards schotty?
    How's the fact that another team wants to talk to the OC sign of a weak ownership. I mean, would you consider the Patriots ownership weak since three coordinators in the last two years been hired to coach?
    Good coordinators get hired to be head coaches, ownership is irrelevant in this case.
    If your coordinators never get hired it means you aren't winning, normally. That's about it.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 01-13-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling issues

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

you have absolutely no choice in the matter. any coordinatror can interview for any HC job, there's nothing you can do about it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by isired
    you have absolutely no choice in the matter. any coordinatror can interview for any HC job, there's nothing you can do about it.
    Miami is a disaster waiting to happen, the powers above him extended Capers, he has no word in picking the Capers waiting behind him already, not to mention he is 32...
    If you throw some money at him, you can get him to stay here!

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Miami is a disaster waiting to happen, the powers above him extended Capers, he has no word in picking the Capers waiting behind him already, not to mention he is 32...
    i agree that with capers in place, it's a minefield, but coaches rarely turn down a HC oppty, especially their first. i can't recall any.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I would ASSUME that each of the interviewees were told that Dom Capers was going to be the coordinator. And would ASSUME that they would all be fine with this.

That isn't a deal breaker at all. He is a very very good D coordinator who knows the personnel.

The Fins are a top 10 NFL Head coaching job
    better than our beloved jets
    he would be nuts not to take it

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Money might be able to get him to stay here for another 2....3 years tops.

The majority of good coordinators eventually move on to head coaching jobs, such is the way of the NFL. And Brian Schottenheimer is going to be a high commodity for the next few years as a HC candidate as long as he remains a coordinator.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think it has anything to do with Woody. Money can't keep young guys from taking HC jobs elsewhere. Mangini went to interview with the Jets. Was it a sign of weak ownership by Kraft that he interviewed? Of course not.

Secondly, Mini-Schott may be doing this not only to get a HC gig but to also gain experience in the interview process for other HC opportunities in the future.

All Pro
    remember when Henderson as a DC was considered for a HC job? Imagine if he would have turned it down, now he is not even considered a good DC.

You take the job.

Rookie
    For a simple answer to the question in the title of this thread... No

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman
    remember when Henderson as a DC was considered for a HC job? Imagine if he would have turned it down, now he is not even considered a good DC.

You take the job.
    yup.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Money might be able to get him to stay here for another 2....3 years tops.
    thats ecxactly what i want, 2...3 years

JetsInsider.com Legend
    thats ecxactly what i want, 2...3 years
    So you think it's good buisness to pay Schottenheimer more as a coordinator than Miami would be willing to pay him as a HC?

Veteran
    We all better root for the Patriots to win.

Cam Cameron could go to Miami.
    Even Marty could go to Miami.

Go Patriots!

All League
    until this saga is over hopefully Mangini is doing the right thing by freezing Shotty out of JETS camp. until he is turned down, he is now the enemy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    So you think it's good buisness to pay Schottenheimer more as a coordinator than Miami would be willing to pay him as a HC?
    Teams do it all the time. I think Capers as DC of Miami will be making more than Mangini and I believe so do the coordinators of the Redskins. I'm not saying it will make a difference but lots of NFL teams overpay their coordinators to get them to stay.

Its not bad business.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan
    Teams do it all the time. I think Capers as DC of Miami will be making more than Mangini and I believe so do the coordinators of the Redskins. I'm not saying it will make a difference but lots of NFL teams overpay their coordinators to get them to stay.

Its not bad business.
    The money they are now paying Capers is another reason why Schott may be a Phin...

1. Schott is cheaper then others and they can afford to pay capers the money.
    2. Capers has a lot of experience and can assist Schott, being a rockie and all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan

Its not bad business.
    How much does Mangini get payed?

I refuse to believe that Miami wouldn't pay Schotty at least close to that amount.