Thread: OT: Car nuts....

Charter JI Member

OT: Car nuts....

...I'm sure there are a ton of car guys here, fyi the Barrett Jackson auction was on last night from Scottsdale, I think it continues tonight. This is must see TV for car lovers, there are a ton of muscle cars this year, I guess they have now become the most desirable and most affordable collectables. Here's a link to their website, it has links to all the cars being auctioned.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

Anyone see this last night?

jetswin, I was looking over their inventory for vett's and it reminded me of what I gave up in 1970. When I got home from Vietnam in early '69, I bought a used '66 coupe in your neck of the woods (Scarsdale)...a 427 complete muscle car.

The family moved to FL in September of 70...drove the car down and after several months of sweating my ass off because of no AC, I traded it in on a 1970 350...they gave me a whopping $1600 on a trade. Needless to say, that car is worth a nice chunk of change now...been through 6 vett's since then...my vett days are over though.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    ...I'm sure there are a ton of car guys here, fyi the Barrett Jackson auction was on last night from Scottsdale, I think it continues tonight. This is must see TV for car lovers, there are a ton of muscle cars this year, I guess they have now become the most desirable and most affordable collectables. Here's a link to their website, it has links to all the cars being auctioned.

Not last night. A couple of nights ago, it was in Florida I think. They sold several pristine condition 60's type vehicles for less than 20 grand! T-Bird included! I like that show!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanFL
    jetswin, I was looking over their inventory for vett's and it reminded me of what I gave up in 1970. When I got home from Vietnam in early '69, I bought a used '66 coupe in your neck of the woods (Scarsdale)...a 427 complete muscle car.

The family moved to FL in September of 70...drove the car down and after several months of sweating my ass off because of no AC, I traded it in on a 1970 350...they gave me a whopping $1600 on a trade. Needless to say, that car is worth a nice chunk of change now...been through 6 vett's since then...my vett days are over though.
    Not so fast.........

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carli...tNumber=1269.1

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanFL

the old vettes in great shape bring in a fortune. They had a guy that was buying a Mercedes 280sl, who is famous for restoring vettes. Check out the show it's on the speed channel

JetsFan2012
    this is on tv? what channel and time?

Banned
    Is this a current live auction or a re-run of last years auction?

SAR I

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    this is on tv? what channel and time?
    Speed channel (I think ch. 56 on cablevision) prime time

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Is this a current live auction or a re-run of last years auction?

SAR I
    live...very tempting lol

JetsFan2012
    Speed channel (I think ch. 56 on cablevision) prime time

sweet

I've been downloading old reruns of the British show Top Gear. Has anyone ever seen that? It's an awesome show. I watched one segment last night when they profiled the orgasmic 1954 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I watch this show every year for the past 3 years or so. Or how ever long its been on SPEED. My father and I were planning to go to it but never did.

Im pretty sure it goes on until Saturday or Sunday. I watch it every night to dream lol.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I almost cant even watch because I get so damn jealous seeing some of those rides...

Rookie
    It's not a rerun. They have it every January for about 3 or 4 days. Very addicting to watch even if your not a car nut. Love the muscle cars from when I grew up. You'll learn about the different types of restoration, matching numbers, stuff like that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TomsRiverJet
    It's not a rerun. They have it every January for about 3 or 4 days. Very addicting to watch even if your not a car nut. Love the muscle cars from when I grew up. You'll learn about the different types of restoration, matching numbers, stuff like that.
    Yeah Palm Beach and Arizona. This year is in Arizona.

Hall Of Fame

its AMAZING what a muscle car goes for if it's all original parts. I was looking for a '68 camaro for my wife, she's always wanted one, and I figured they must be pretty cheap.

boy was I wrong

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    its AMAZING what a muscle car goes for if it's all original parts. I was looking for a '68 camaro for my wife, she's always wanted one, and I figured they must be pretty cheap.

boy was I wrong
    wait for the new retro ones coming out, they'll be cheaper and look just like the '69's