Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Jets lose draft pick for Branch tampering?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Could Jets lose draft pick for Branch tampering?

I remember this being discussed a few months ago. Last week I heard a commentator mention that the league would likely take a look at the tampering accusations being levied by the Pats against the Jets after the season ends. The typical "punishment" doled out by the league in situations like this seems to be a draft pick....Is it possible this could be the outcome here? Are there any updates on this?

I would bet the Jets are guilty of tampering. I would be more nothing happens. If Branch was wearing a Jets uniform, negotiating a contract with the Jets at the NFL corporate offices while still on the Pats.....50/50 they get caught. Almost impossible to get caught.

All Pro
    Yes, it's true. The Jets have no draft pick!

TBP

Hall Of Fame
    Considering Branch didn't even end up with the Jets, it would be next to impossible to prove any sort of tampering.

Hall Of Fame
    Tampering is impossible to prove and rarely ever results in anything, especially considering Branch isn't even on the Jets. Nothing'll happen from it.

Tampering??? He was free too talk with any team about contacts how is that
    Tampering...In that case..what a about the Redskins....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Thunder
    Tampering??? He was free too talk with any team about contacts how is that
    Tampering...In that case..what a about the Redskins....
    Apparently, Mangini tampered not too soon after he left for the Jets

Hall Of Fame

In a Word, No...

No, the Jets will not lose any draft picks because:

1) There was no tampering. The Pats theory is laughable. They authorized Branch to negotiate with the Jets. The Pats contend the Jets tampered with Branch because they told them how much they were willing to give up for him (in terms of draft picks).

2) NO TEAM HAS EVER BEEN PUNISHED BY THE NFL TO GIVE UP DRAFT PICKS FOR TAMPERING Again, NO TEAM HAS EVER BEEN PUNISHED BY THE NFL TO GIVE UP DRAFT PICKS FOR TAMPERING.

The media keeps referring to the Parcells-Jets situation and the Belichick-Jets situation where a team was forced to give up draft picks because of tampering. That is not true. Paul Tagliabue and the NFL mediated an agreement between the Pats and Jets in those two situation. The draft pick exchange was the result of NEGOTIATION and NOT the NFL imposing a penalty on the team charged with tampering.

Practice Squad
    We should actually get a draft pick from the Pats for helping them get a #1 from Seattle for a 2nd round talent in Branch. There were not too many other interested teams at the time.

Undrafted Free Agent
    do we know that the Patriots accused the Jets of tampering? maybe I'm just being nutty here, and please correct me if anything is known that contradicts my theory.

I remember at the time the rumor was that NE asked the league to investigate the Jets. With the whole Deion thing going on at the time and the Jets having interest in him it was assumed that NE was accusing the Jets of tampering.

Well, during the NE/NYJ playoff game I was telling my girlfriend about the whole Belichick-Mangini "feud" and I mentioned Mangini taking the book NE had on Chad and giving it to him. "That's intellectual property. That's stealing." was the first thing out of her mouth (she's a consultant). I had never really thought about this, and when I told her NE hadn't done anything about it she thought it silly and said something like "sports is stupid sometimes."

What if NE did do something about it, and what if the complaint NE filed against the Jets was instead about Mangini stealing from them?

Yeah, I realize this is probably just a crazy theory and that if it were the case someone would have reported it because everything gets leaked. I'm just wondering if we know anything to disporove it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTomBrady
    do we know that the Patriots accused the Jets of tampering? maybe I'm just being nutty here, and please correct me if anything is known that contradicts my theory.

I remember at the time the rumor was that NE asked the league to investigate the Jets. With the whole Deion thing going on at the time and the Jets having interest in him it was assumed that NE was accusing the Jets of tampering.

Well, during the NE/NYJ playoff game I was telling my girlfriend about the whole Belichick-Mangini "feud" and I mentioned Mangini taking the book NE had on Chad and giving it to him. "That's intellectual property. That's stealing." was the first thing out of her mouth (she's a consultant). I had never really thought about this, and when I told her NE hadn't done anything about it she thought it silly and said something like "sports is stupid sometimes."

What if NE did do something about it, and what if the complaint NE filed against the Jets was instead about Mangini stealing from them?

Yeah, I realize this is probably just a crazy theory and that if it were the case someone would have reported it because everything gets leaked. I'm just wondering if we know anything to disporove it.
    Fate rules: It’s Pats-Jets: Coaches play out destiny
    By Michael Felger/ Patriots Beat
    Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist

Monday, January 1, 2007 - Updated: 07:03 PM EST

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Patriots [team stats] did the right thing yesterday at LP Field. They showed some pride and played to win against the Tennessee Titans [team stats].

And it turns out the winds of fate rewarded them. Rewarded all of us, actually.

Get ready for Mangini Bowl III.

Think we can get Bill Belichick to actually say the words, “Eric Mangini” this week?

Blowing into Foxboro next Sunday for a playoff game will be the New York Jets [team stats], whom the Pats lost to the last time they met, but who nevertheless present them the most favorable matchup among the AFC postseason entrants.

The Jets also provide the ravenous, insatiable media mobs in New York and New England a delicious, hand-delivered storyline, one you’ll probably be sick of by the time the week is out. Call it the return of the no-look handshake.

Belichick’s coaching tree is scattered throughout the NFL, but he considers the branch that reached the Jets to be poisonous. Mangini, Belichick’s former ball boy in Cleveland and longtime assistant, took the Jets coaching job last year despite Belichick’s alleged protests. And adding insult to injury, Mangini then tried to lure some Pats assistants to New York with him before further poisoning the waters with holdout receiver Deion Branch last August.

The Pats filed tampering charges with the league over the Branch situation, and a ruling has yet to come down. But no arbiter is required to determine how Belichick feels about the Jets. They make him want to puke.

It’s been that way ever since he wrestled free of their clutches in order to come to the Patriots in 2000, an episode that included the infamous scene in which Jets team president Steve Gutman stepped to a podium and actually questioned Belichick’s sanity.

Those inside the walls of Gillette Stadium know that Belichick rarely refers to them as just ‘the Jets.” They are usually “the (expletive) Jets.”

All of which was a backdrop to the Pats’ two meetings with Mangini this year. In the week leading to both games, Belichick didn’t utter the name “Eric Mangini” but once or twice. At midfield following the first game, a 24-17 Pats win in New Jersey, Belichick gave Mangini a limp, cold-fish handshake that could not have been more petty. When Mangini won the rematch in Foxboro in November, 17-14, he managed to insert a few words before Belichick again lurched off to the locker room.

These two were absolutely fated to meet again at midfield.

As it turns out, the Pats would have faced the Jets regardless of whether they beat the Titans, but the fact that they did, 40-23, should only make Patriots fans feel better.

The win put the Pats in position to move up to the third seed had Indianapolis fallen at home to Miami. The Colts won, and the Pats were resigned to the fourth spot. That meant a likely date with the Broncos, a 9-point favorite over visiting San Francisco. And that’s when fate intervened. The 49ers pulled off the upset in overtime to send the Jets to Foxboro

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

i asked flowtrain about that, he seems to have some insight on these matters, he said no way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    We should actually get a draft pick from the Pats for helping them get a #1 from Seattle for a 2nd round talent in Branch. There were not too many other interested teams at the time.
    How about just a heartfelt "thanks" ?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thanks ARodKeyWestJetsFan, that seems to answer my question.

My only concern is that Felger is a hack. Right after the bolded part he throws in the "they make him want to puke" which is just speculative crap. I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw out assumptions as if they're fact.
    Last edited by ILoveTomBrady; 01-19-2007 at 10:23 AM.

All Pro
    Felger is a tool. I wouldn't take anything that armpit says, pro or con.

His objectivity has gone down the toilet in recent years as he drools over his
    favorite Patriot Hater, Ron Borges.

He writes this kind of heresay without attribution: Those inside the walls of
    Gillette Stadium know that Belichick rarely refers to them as just "the Jets.”
    They are usually “the (expletive) Jets.”

He is the white Tom Jackson and an even bigger idiot.

He's still pissed that his ****ty book "Tales from the Patriots Sideline" sucked and
    that Michael Holly's (Patriot Reign) was a huge hit.

TBP

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot
    Felger is a tool. I wouldn't take anything that armpit says, pro or con.

His objectivity has gone down the toilet in recent years as he drools over his
    favorite Patriot Hater, Ron Borges.

He writes this kind of heresay without attribution: Those inside the walls of Gillette Stadium know that Belichick rarely refers to them as just "the Jets.” They are usually “the (expletive) Jets.”

He is the white Tom Jackson and an even bigger idiot.

He's still pissed that his ****ty book "Tales from the Patriots Sideline" sucked and
    that Michael Holly's (Patriot Reign) was a huge hit.

TBP
    is that 'hearsay' or 'heresy'?

All Pro
    Hearsay in English Law and Hearsay in United States law = a legal principle
    concerning the admission of evidence through repetition of out-of-court
    statements.

THE HEARSAY RULE

Hearsay is "second-hand" information. It occurs when a witness testifies NOT
    about something they personally saw or heard, but testifies about something
    someone else told them or said they saw. Hearsay usually involves an
    attempt to get some crucial fact entered into evidence that cannot be
    entered into evidence by any other means. The constitutional due process
    danger that this represents is that it deprives the other side of an opportunity
    to confront and cross-examine the "real" witness who originally saw or heard
    something. The confrontation clause of the Sixth Amendment has never been
    interpreted so literally as to preclude hearsay evidence. Care must be taken
    to avoid hearsay from consisting of rumor, gossip, or scuttlebutt. There are
    times when hearsay evidence is perhaps the right thing to do -- as in cases
    where a young child has been molested -- and, there are times when hearsay
    evidence is the only thing to do -- as in cases where the original witness has
    died or is unavailable. At common law, there were five well-established
    exceptions to the hearsay rule, and these exceptions have been a part of the
    hearsay rule from the beginning. Today, there are almost three times as
    many exceptions (10-20 depending upon how you do the counting), and it's
    not that hearsay exceptions are a growing area of evidence law, but only
    that more practical reasons exist making it necessary to add more exceptions.
    The hearsay rule, its exceptions, and hearsay evidence are some of the most
    defining features of Anglo-American criminal justice. It is appropriate to think
    of the hearsay rule as the main exclusionary rule in all of evidence law.

TBP
    Last edited by The Boston Patriot; 01-19-2007 at 03:32 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot
    Felger is a tool.
    Truer words have never been spoken. But I like his wife!

Banned
    There wasn't any tampering.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Truer words have never been spoken. But I like his wife!
    You can have her, I'll take Tom's new squeeze.

TBP