Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samardzija giving up Football

Hall Of Fame

Samardzija giving up Football

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6385348

Cubs prospect Jeff Samardzija, a record-breaking receiver at Notre Dame, is giving up football for baseball, FOXSports.com has learned.

Samardzija, a right-handed pitcher, was the Cubs' fifth-round pick last summer and projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft.

He signed a $7.25 million contract with the Cubs and went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in seven starts at Class A last summer before returning to Notre Dame for his senior football season.
    Wow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    yeah i kinda saw this coming - given the choice between getting your head torn off over the middle or casually pitching until you are 45 (for more money) why risk it? R44 and I had this discussion for months and while i agree with riggo he will probably be less happy and less successful this way, it's the smarter move. No one will judge the Shark negatively for being a white dude at the pitcher position. People will judge him as a white NFL WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    yeah i kinda saw this coming - given the choice between getting your head torn off over the middle or casually pitching until you are 45 (for more money) why risk it? R44 and I had this discussion for months and while i agree with riggo he will probably be less happy and less successful this way, it's the smarter move. No one will judge the Shark negatively for being a white dude at the pitcher position. People will judge him as a white NFL WR.
    Still I expected him to try and do both since that's what he was saying all along. I figured the Bears would pick him up at the end of round 2 and he could be an All-Chicago player.

All Pro
    I thought it would be cool to see someone do a little Bo and Deon action.

Hall Of Fame
    I would not be surprised if the Cubs had sweetened the pot for Samardzija so that he would go strictly with baseball.

Baseball outfielders can play both sports (Bo, Deon, Brian Jordan) but pitchers can't because no MLB ballclub would spend money on a pitcher (which position is inherently dangerous to the player's health) who would also jeapordize his health in football. Pitchers break down under the wear-and-tear of pitching all the time, even though the clubs baby the player. MLB clubs don't need to put such a player in further danger in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair Thomas
    I thought it would be cool to see someone do a little Bo and Deon action.
    the fans want it but the coaches want a guy who is fully committed to one sport. Shark's two sport skills are actually a detriment in this day and age.

Banned
    yeah, i was kinda hoping he would go play baseball cause i wanted to see what he could do in the nfl...

oh well.

bottom line is the almighty dollar... $8M GUARANTEED to play a sport that does far less damage to your body and a much longer career.

As a 2-sport athlete, he'll probably go mid 2nd round at best and wouldn't be offered much in guaranteed monies (probably $5M perhaps in SB).

TMahoney
    This is a shame.

Not only because I'm a Notre Dame fan, but because baseball is simply not as entertaining as football, and The Shark could have been a star if he played in the NFL.

It would have been great to see him play both, but with the way contracts are negotiated these days, professional athletes are barely allowed to play a pickup game of basketball in their free time, let alone another sport professionally.

Personally, if I Samardzija, I'd take less money from both sports just to be able to play both.

Samardzija got 10M guaranteed from the Cubs with a no-trade clause. So he's financially set for life right now.

His fastball has been clocked in the high 90's (up to 99 mph). So he has the ability and the size teams like (6-5, 220). But he's obviously never concentrated on pitching exclusively - he's always been spending half or more of his time on football.

Like the Cubs FO, I think he'll become much better as a pitcher when he starts working on it every day for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    Personally, if I Samardzija, I'd take less money from both sports just to be able to play both.
    At the same time, playing football increases the injury risk by like say, 500%. One serious injury in football would also knock him out for baseball as well.

I'm pretty sure if he were going to play both sports, he'd get FAR less guaranteed monies from both sports AND potentially end up on IR for both sports as well.

Veteran
    Does the name Drew Henson ring a bell? Could have been a first rounder in the NFL. Instead goes to baseball. How did that end up working out? Yeah, he ended up coming back to football.

TMahoney
    I hear ya Riggins.

He definitely has a better chance at being a successful NFL player over the MLB.

But I wanted to see him play both. I don't care what people say about contracts, or what coaches say about full commitment to one sport.

He could have played 2 sports professionally, and wanted too, but both leagues wouldn't have it and made him choose. A dumb move IMO by the NFL. If you're a coach or GM you could've had this player at a cheaper price because he plays baseball too, and he could have been an excellent asset to your team. He's a monster after the catch, in the red zone...basically he's just an amazing athlete with great hands.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29
    Does the name Drew Henson ring a bell? Could have been a first rounder in the NFL. Instead goes to baseball. How did that end up working out? Yeah, he ended up coming back to football.
    True, but Samardzija is a better baseball player than Henson was. Henson was a project 3rd baseman, while Samardzija is a starting caliber pitcher.

Banned
    can't say i would've done the same, not because of my dislike of baseball, but the fact that in baseball, on average it is 3-5 years before a player who was drafted ever plays in the bigs, baseball and basketball are the sports where nowadays you get f ucked around before you do wat u were drafted for....PLAY...in football, if you are drafted, and you make the team, you get 1 shot, and if you dont perform for the time elapsed on that given shot, your cut plain and simple, you look at the past 5 NBA drafts, a large majority of those players aren't even playing as of now, and don't even mention baseball

Hall Of Fame
    i agree with the above. Riggs you know, b/c I drafted him in our mini-mock for Denver, and you were looking at him for Chicago I think.

With all of this unfolding, you have to questin his heart for the game of football...

Not a mangini guy, not a darth vader guy.

All League
    Problem is if someone waves 8 million smackers under your snoz and says: "you can have this! Just sign on the dotted line!", most people would give up quite a bit for that. I reckon the young man would love to play football, but the money says other wise. Plus, when you get money involved, you tend to get a whole heap of people giving you 'advice' for a fee: and that advice would be to take the larger amount of money because that means their percentage take will be bigger.

Will there ever be another Bo Jackson? I'd take half a Bo Jackson, to be honest, or even a quarter; provided that person didn't have the dodgy hips.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

that's so easy for you to say, no?

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    that's so easy for you to say, no?
    Yes it is.

He'll still be a millionaire.

And its not like he left school early from University of Miami and has only this 10 year window to make money for the rest of his life.

The Shark graduated from the University of Notre Dame. He'll be able to get a job even if an injury takes him out of both sports.

Hall Of Fame
    No one's even considering that he might like baseball more than football. When you factor in the guaranteed money and less likely to have chronic injuries in your old age - it's a no brainer.

That being said, the Cubs are absurd. 10 mil and a no trade clause? He's not a blue chipper. He has one pitch and didn't dominate the lowly Big East. His records against top RPI teams isn't good either.