Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: O:T, No more pappas as Denny Doherty passes away!

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    676

    O:T, No more pappas as Denny Doherty passes away!

    Denny Doherty of the Mammas and Pappas died today at age 66.RIP.I liked that group.It was great being a kid and listening to there music.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,253
    Even though I was a big doo wap fan The Mommas and the Poppas were really great. RIP

  3. #3
    "california dreamin" was a classic and my favorite hit of the group. love that song!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    They were a bunch of anti-establishment drug users and deserved all the evil that befell them. That's what happens when you abandon Christ and become an avatar of Satan.



    SAR I

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Here are the evil spawn of Satan, high on drugs, renouncing Johnson, renouncing Christ, setting the table for their early departure from this Earth.



    SAR I

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,555
    Ironically, the music I've been listening to over the last few weeks has been music whose strength was on vocal harmonies. My rotation has included The Beach Boys, The Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, The Jayhawks, and...of course, The Mamas and the Papas. Sad news.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II
    Ironically, the music I've been listening to over the last few weeks has been music whose strength was on vocal harmonies. My rotation has included The Beach Boys, The Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, The Jayhawks, and...of course, The Mamas and the Papas. Sad news.
    All of those groups are evil. Beware of reaping what you have sewn.

    The Beach Boys in particular; look at their hippie, drug-induced gaze as they renounce Nixon and Christ.



    SAR I

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy
    "california dreamin" was a classic and my favorite hit of the group. love that song!
    Definitely one of my favorite songs.

  9. #9
    SAR-not funny.
    RIP, Denny.
    The music they made was wonderful.

    "Monday, Monday..."
    No other song in the history of music sums that day up better than the Mamas and the Papas.

  10. #10
    RIP...us Nam guys kind of adopted that song while we were there. Most of us upon our return to the states came through California.

    http://www.links2love.com/love_lyrics_206.htm

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,400
    and isn't the Philips guy (McKenzie's old man) who has been a major junkie all his life, still alive and kickin??

    btw: I bet Doherty didn't choke on a ham sandwhich!

  12. #12
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,179
    RIP. I heard their song; I'm here now in DreamLand. NorDreamLand. So they are all gone?


    (SAR, I kept looking at your name on this thread and I am wondering: who died? No more pappas? Is that Mexican food? Who served Mexican food to JI? Disrepectfully hysterical... )

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    585

    dennys dead

    i used to see them at the bottom line when i lived in ny.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    The guy had one of the best voices in music during that era. Terrific group.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanintx
    i used to see them at the bottom line when i lived in ny.
    Lucky bastid. I was a little too young to have caught them.

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    and isn't the Philips guy (McKenzie's old man) who has been a major junkie all his life, still alive and kickin??

    btw: I bet Doherty didn't choke on a ham sandwhich!
    No !Philips died in 2001 at age 61,No more pappas!

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by brookshea
    Denny Doherty of the Mammas and Pappas died today at age 66.RIP.I liked that group.It was great being a kid and listening to there music.
    I remember them very well....the music I liked....Michelle Phillips was and remained for a long time,very hot !

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    They were a bunch of anti-establishment drug users and deserved all the evil that befell them. That's what happens when you abandon Christ and become an avatar of Satan.



    SAR I

    You taking over for SD99 for the weekend?


  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,074

    Thumbs up

    Denny was a great human being, 100% classy guy (from what I heard from other musicians who have met him) and the anchor for the Mamas and Papas. Feel very sad, didnt know he was ill.

    SAR, showing a 'lil bad judgement there buddy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7KrlDZ5Hkw&NR

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8LGZSaM7Wk&NR (never saw this video - cool)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWCvLVLM08 (Y Go Go dancers? lol)
    Last edited by Jetman73; 01-20-2007 at 02:34 PM.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,400
    Quote Originally Posted by brookshea
    No !Philips died in 2001 at age 61,No more pappas!

    didn't know that...and the only mamma left was pretty foxy at one time...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us