Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What players are you avoiding?

All Pro

What players are you avoiding?

There was a couple of people in last years draft that I didnt like sooo much that I actually was happy that another team drafted them.

Last year for me it was Lendale White.

This year so far its Quinn Pitcock in the first round. IMO he is like a 3rd round player, and Ill be happy when another team drafts him. Hes a team captain, and has intangibles which makes me fear we draft him.

Who's the Prospect you fear the Jets will draft on the first day?

All League
    Didn't think he would have a 1st round grade...
    What position would the Jets use him at? DE?
    Doesn't seem to have a true position in the 3-4...

I also thing Pitcock is an overrated 3rd round talent. But with Mangini's emphasis on character, we'd likely draft him over somebody like Moss who has a minor blemish on his record (even though Moss is an athletic superfreak).

In general I value productivity far over combine numbers (40 time, bench presses, etc). I think the game is played on the field not in the gym. So I'm always suspicious of guys who are touted strictly for their good numbers.

One of the guys this year like that is CB Marcus McCauley from Fresno St. He runs a 4.3 something on the track but was complete crap covering anyone last year. Here's what one draft guide says about him "Struggled mightily at times in 2006 and didn't have a great senior year". Yet he's still seen as a 1st round choice by some.

It's so much easier to just quote a fast 40 time than to actually watch some tape and see if they can play. I think McCauley has bust written all over him.

Hall Of Fame
    DeMarcus Tyler - Non-Mangini player

Quinn Pitcock - I don't feel his play matches his hype

Marcus McCauley - People love that he runs a 4.3, but he gets burned often because he takes too many chances

Ted Ginn Jr - Everytime I look at this guy, he reminds me of Troy Williamson. Amazing speed makes people ignore the fact that he has not produced at the level of any other potential First Round Pick. He isnt physical at all, a good bump and run neutralizes him, and his hands and route running are questionable IMO.

Brandon Meriweather - Non-Mangini Player

Kenny Irons - Too similar to Leon Washington, a bit stronger and a bit slower, but not the compliment we need. Plus it always raises a red flag to me when a guy gets worse his senior season.

Any TE before Round 3 - All are overhyped because of a weak TE draft. Not worth the pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    I also thing Pitcock is an overrated 3rd round talent. But with Mangini's emphasis on character, we'd likely draft him over somebody like Moss who has a minor blemish on his record (even though Moss is an athletic superfreak).

In general I value productivity far over combine numbers (40 time, bench presses, etc). I think the game is played on the field not in the gym. So I'm always suspicious of guys who are touted strictly for their good numbers.

One of the guys this year like that is CB Marcus McCauley from Fresno St. He runs a 4.3 something on the track but was complete crap covering anyone last year. Here's what one draft guide says about him "Struggled mightily at times in 2006 and didn't have a great senior year". Yet he's still seen as a 1st round choice by some.

It's so much easier to just quote a fast 40 time than to actually watch some tape and see if they can play. I think McCauley has bust written all over him.
    Man, I was typing when you posted this, but agreed 100%

Although I don't think one pot test in college would hold the Jets back from drafting someone. I think they're looking for smart, hard-working, dedicated players who don't act like they are bigger then the team and Jarvis Moss fits that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    DeMarcus Tyler - Non-Mangini player

Quinn Pitcock - I don't feel his play matches his hype

Marcus McCauley - People love that he runs a 4.3, but he gets burned often because he takes too many chances

Ted Ginn Jr - Everytime I look at this guy, he reminds me of Troy Williamson. Amazing speed makes people ignore the fact that he has not produced at the level of any other potential First Round Pick. He isnt physical at all, a good bump and run neutralizes him, and his hands and route running are questionable IMO.

Any TE before Round 3 - All are overhyped because of a weak TE draft. Not worth the pick.

Any of those four would make me cringe. Good choices.

What other prospects do you guys hate?

Some other guys I'm not too enamoured with:

Brady Quinn
    He performed poorly in pressure situations (2 bowl games and, largely, his entire senior season). That doesn't bode well for a starting NFL quarterback.

Leon Hall
    He got toasted by some athletic USC receivers. What's he going to do when he lines up against Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt ?

Paul Posluszny
    Overrated because of the LB tradition at Penn State. Was injured much of his senior year. Has he recovered ? Honors student / team captain / Mangini kind of guy ! (I wouldn't mind as a 2nd rounder, just not 1st round talent)

Tank Tyler
    Lazy underachiever who has JAG written all over him

Adrian Peterson
    He will tease with great athleticism & performances and then get hurt, missing games. Repeat cycle until retirement.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 01-21-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Banned
    in the first two rounds, the jets should avoid brian leonard. too many other holes to fill and he's not an every down back. and rotating him with leon washington isn't a good solution because then we'd just have 2 specialty backs and the offense remains predictable. he's a luxury piece for a team with no glaring needs but could use an extra weapon, like the pats, eagles or bears. pass.

Hall Of Fame
    A few more

Leon Hall - I didn't list him because the Jets have no chance of drafting him, but watching him in the Ohio State and USC games made me realize just how overrated he is. Dwyane Jarrett caught for 200 yards and 2 TDs on this guy.

Quentin Moses - Always raises a red flag when someone drops from 11.5 Sacks to 4.5 Sacks. Disapointing Senior Season.

Joe Staley - I don't think he'll be a bad player, but he's not enough of an impact in the Running game to be a good fit on the Jets.

Antonio Pittman - I don't think he'll be a bad player, but see what I said about Kenny Irons. Too small to be a up-the-middle Runner that were looking for.

Troy Smith - MVP of the Toronto Argonauts

Chris Leak - MVP of the Newark YMCA touch football league

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    in the first two rounds, the jets should avoid brian leonard. too many other holes to fill and he's not an every down back. and rotating him with leon washington isn't a good solution because then we'd just have 2 specialty backs and the offense remains predictable. he's a luxury piece for a team with no glaring needs but could use an extra weapon, like the pats, eagles or bears. pass.
    I don't agree with you at all, but you're not going to change your mind and there's a 100 Leonard topics so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Quentin Moses - Always raises a red flag when someone drops from 11.5 Sacks to 4.5 Sacks. Disapointing Senior Season.

Moses is super athletic and was a great performer his junior year. He was a pre-season top 5 pick. Then he stunk it up his senior year so he's fallen down the draft boards. But I'd still be happy to get him at 25.

There's some risk but he's a legitimate top 5 pick his junior year. I'd take the chance he'll bounce back to his previous level of play.

All League
    Interesting thread.

Apart from the obvious ones, I'd not go for:

Kenny Irons, Poslusny, and actually I'm not sold on Carriker as yet.

I also wonder where the 'intangibles/good characeter'' end for Mangini and the 'footballing ability' begins. If they pass on Jarvis Moss because of 'character issues' I will be very pissed off.

All Pro
    Jamarcus Russell,Paul Poslusny,Woodley

Banned
    last year it was D'brick, and this year i dont necessarily have one yet

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets4ever51
    last year it was D'brick, and this year i dont necessarily have one yet
    D'Brick was the best player available to us at pick no. 4, and we had the added bonus that he filled a need in the roster. I take it you are not impressed with the Brick? I was very impressed with his season, as a rookie, and at his weight, but I know some around here weren't that taken with him.

Rookie
    Kenny Irons

All Pro
    Moses is super athletic and was a great performer his junior year. He was a pre-season top 5 pick. Then he stunk it up his senior year so he's fallen down the draft boards. But I'd still be happy to get him at 25.

There's some risk but he's a legitimate top 5 pick his junior year. I'd take the chance he'll bounce back to his previous level of play.
    Absolutely. He's a perfect fit for the OLB in the 3-4. If I'm not mistaken he is also an All Academic student, smart kid and a team captain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death
    D'Brick was the best player available to us at pick no. 4, and we had the added bonus that he filled a need in the roster. I take it you are not impressed with the Brick? I was very impressed with his season, as a rookie, and at his weight, but I know some around here weren't that taken with him.
    read the post....LAST YEAR!! it was D'brick, i just didnt want to take an OL that high....i hated doing that.... and i still up to this day don't beleive he was the best player available at that spot

Adrian Peterson
    He will tease with great athleticism & performances and then get hurt, missing games. Repeat cycle until retirement.

Here here on Peterson. However I don't think we are the only ones lageman.
    I have a huge gut feeling he'll still be on the board when the Jets are up.

...and on that note I don't see how you could pass him by!!!