Thread: Vick to the Raiders?

Vick to the Raiders?

"The Raiders are preparing to make a run at Michael Vick, according to NFL sources. The Raiders package would include receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter plus the No.1 overall pick in the 2007 draft for Vick and the Falcons first round pick (10th overall)."
    - foxsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    "The Raiders are preparing to make a run at Michael Vick, according to NFL sources. The Raiders package would include receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter plus the No.1 overall pick in the 2007 draft for Vick and the Falcons first round pick (10th overall)."
    - foxsports.com

If I were Atlanta, I'd do that in a heartbeat! I don't think Vick will ever really be a great quarterback. With Schaub waiting in the wings, Atlanta could still really do well. And it would stop a brewing QB controversy.

You'd have to figure at least one of Moss or Porter would revert back to glory days with the move. And with the number one pick, Atlanta could get Calvin Johnson. Talk about a dangerous set of receivers! Or maybe take that big tackle from Wisconsin to shore up their line.

Nothing but good for Atlanta if this trade happened.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 01-22-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Veteran
    Wow... that's a blockbuster if I ever heard one, and def an amazing deal for Atlanta... I wonder if they'd pull the trigger on either side before the HC's get settled.... esp with the Raiders not even having one yet.

Veteran
    The Falcons are $12 million under the cap and Vick's hit would be about $20 million.

Then they'd have to pay Moss and Porter.

Then they'd have to pay the 1st overall pick (Branch? Peterson? Quinn? Russell?)

No way this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    The Falcons are $12 million under the cap and Vick's hit would be about $20 million.

Then they'd have to pay Moss and Porter.

Then they'd have to pay the 1st overall pick (Branch? Peterson? Quinn? Russell?)

No way this happens.
    Same reason why a Vilma-Portis trade wouldn't work...

Veteran
    wow if i was atlanta i would do this in a heartbeat and take jamarcus russell...randy moss had his best years with a jamarcus russell type QB in culpepper

All Pro
    Can this be true? If so then Al Davis should be put down because he is officially crazy. There's 2 QB's available to them in the draft that are going to be better than Michael Vick ever will plus they don't have herpes or a weed habit.

I can understand dumping Porter and Moss but your bringing in the same type of player, an overpaid, me-first, thugish guy who is suppossed to be your leader. I don't want this trade to happen because I don't want Atlanta getting a Hershel Walker type deal and thus allowing John Abraham to get a ring.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets69
    wow if i was atlanta i would do this in a heartbeat and take jamarcus russell...randy moss had his best years with a jamarcus russell type QB in culpepper
    I think if Atlanta did this, it would be with the idea that Matt Schaub becomes their starter.

Of course, its never going to happen so its academic.

Banned
    Wow The Raiders Are Stupid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I think if Atlanta did this, it would be with the idea that Matt Schaub becomes their starter.

Of course, its never going to happen so its academic.
    Well they can go ahead and draft Russell or Quinn.

All League
    I don't fully understand the cap, how does trading Vick away count as cap?

Anyway, if I were the Falcons, while I like the #1, I seriously don't know about taking Moss and Porter, maybe just Moss, and maybe give them another pick.

Atlanta gets:

Randy Moss
    #1 Pick

Oakland gets:

Michael Vick
    #10 Pick
    5th Round Pick

That seems way more fair. The #1 pick could be used on someone good like Peterson, or maybe trade back down and get more picks, picking Johnson would be redundant, they have Schaub, and no one other than Peterson is worthy imo. I think that maybe they might wanna pass due to injury.
    Last edited by BIGKIDD325; 01-22-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325
    I don't fully understand the cap, how does trading Vick away count as cap?
    I believe the entire signing bonus gets accelerated into the current year. So if he had a 20M bonus over 5 years and you're in year 2 of the deal, 16M would hit your cap because of the trade.

It's good for the receiving team since they can cut the guy with no cap hit.

I think this was significant for one of the guys traded to the Jets recently (Barlow maybe?).

That would be an awful trade for Oakland.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    I believe the entire signing bonus gets accelerated into the current year. So if he had a 20M bonus over 5 years and you're in year 2 of the deal, 16M would hit your cap because of the trade.

It's good for the receiving team since they can cut the guy with no cap hit.

I think this was significant for one of the guys traded to the Jets recently (Barlow maybe?).
    ooo ok, thank you for the explanation

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Worst

Trade

Ever

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    If I were Atlanta, I'd do that in a heartbeat! I don't think Vick will ever really be a great quarterback. With Schaub waiting in the wings, Atlanta could still really do well. And it would stop a brewing QB controversy.

You'd have to figure at least one of Moss or Porter would revert back to glory days with the move. And with the number one pick, Atlanta could get Calvin Johnson. Talk about a dangerous set of receivers! Or maybe take that big tackle from Wisconsin to shore up their line.

Nothing but good for Atlanta if this trade happened.
    Your correct, this could also create a new beginning for Vick and the Raiders.
    The cap ramifications would be huge...This is a deal that would be good for the league, and all parties concerned, but IMO cash would be the problem

Banned

doomsday scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    - foxsports.com

when i first heard about this trade i thought it would be cool because it would shake things up. then i started thinking to myself that the falcons really have all the tools they need to get the job done and schaub would be a natural successor to vick and he's supposedly a decent qb. so i said to myself, would the falcons really need the number one overall pick or would they use that to trade down to acquire depth at key positions.

so who is the only team that has two first round picks in the 2007 draft...

the patriots. -- this is where i started hoping i was wrong.

the patriots can offer up their two first rounders for the falcons to take the number one overall pick in the draft and with that i don't think there is any way in hell they pass up the best reciever in the draft, calvin johnson. so then they'd have brady and johnson plus chad jackson from last year's draft and the existing core of recievers that they already have and well, we're screwed.

lets just hope that this doomsday scenario doesn't occur and im horribly wrong.

btw this was assuming that the vick trade could work.