Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sleeper NT????? Your thoughts???

Rookie

A sleeper NT????? Your thoughts???

Several junior college prospects were added last minute to the list of underclassmen. They included Northwest Mississippi Community College defensive tackle Walter Thomas, a one-time highly recruited interior defender from Galveston-Ball High School in Texas. He spent one year at Oklahoma State before heading to the J.C. ranks, but measuring at roughly 6-foot-3 and 335 pounds and having been timed in the 4.9-second range in his prep days, he may raise some eyebrows.

size and speed to play 3/4 NT... Any info on him?????

Come on Bit, it is a big ugly for you...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    nh this is a deeep sleeper! gotta do some homework on the guy, i have to admit he is not on my radar right now - as a general rule the league really isn't interested in JC guys but there is always a need for size. Good find i will get back to you...

Rookie
    If this guy had to drop down to juinor college because of his grades then yes this guy could possibly be a sleeper pick, but if he dropped down because of his skill and talent, he probably is just another big body.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet#24Eventually
    If this guy had to drop down to juinor college because of his grades then yes this guy could possibly be a sleeper pick, but if he dropped down because of his skill and talent, he probably is just another big body.

one name for ya'- Larry Brackins.....

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    nh this is a deeep sleeper! gotta do some homework on the guy, i have to admit he is not on my radar right now - as a general rule the league really isn't interested in JC guys but there is always a need for size. Good find i will get back to you...

Please do since I value your opinion... Maybe a low round or UDFA project but numbers jump off the page

JetsInsider.com Legend
    our man at the Texas vs The Nation saw him at the weigh in and had this to say:

Walter Thomas, DT, North Mississippi CC – Your star of the weigh-in. He drew reactions ranging from gasps to smiles to a simple shake of the head in disbelief. Thomas is 6’4” 370. He’s got some baby fat, but he’s a legit 335 without it, and that’s without the benefit of a formal weight training regimen – just natural size. His upper body weighs more than I do, and I love fried food. His body screamed NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    check in tomorrow for practice report!

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/texasnation.cfm

Rookie
    Thanks for keeping on this... sounds like a lower round or UDFA prospect that could be stashed on the PS and developed for a yr and then compete at NT.. I like the comments of a natural body size... getting him on an NFL regiment sounds crucial...

your thoughts on him?
    has anyone shown interest in him?
    Last edited by nhjet; 01-30-2007 at 09:06 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet
    Thanks for keeping on this... sounds like a lower round or UDFA prospect that could be stashed on the PS and developed for a yr and then compete at NT.. I like the comments of a natural body size... getting him on an NFL regiment sounds crucial...

your thoughts on him?
    has anyone shown interest in him?
    my thoughts are he sounds like could be a riser into maybe the first day due to the fact there's absolutely NO REAL SIZE in this draft at DT - the planet theory in action - he's going to always have weight issues but all the great NT do - Adams, Williams, Washington etc.

here's his day 1 comments from practice yesterday

Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi CC – Unstoppable when he got a good push, showed a good spin move (!) and was astoundingly nimble for a guy his size (think Gabe Watson at his best during Senior Bowl practices last year – dancing bear). Seemed to tire, and then get second wind. Didn’t excel on every play but was dominant when he did. Got lots of individual coaching and encouragement. Talk of the scouts in the stands. Jags practically drooling on him

Top 5 Players

Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi JC
    Josh Swogger, QB, Montana
    Nick Smith, C, Fresno State
    Brent Curvey, DT, Iowa State
    Stephen McCoy, CB, Texas A&M-Kingsville

Rookie
    you right about that planet theory... He sounds like a young Ted Wasington type... interesting to see that Jaguars have expressed an interest in him considering their 2 DTs... I guess they are planning for the future. smart move.. now that we determined that he may go in the first day, you can not stash him on the PS but he could come in on obvious rushing downs to get some experience.

I would love to see the jets get this guy and make him a rotational NT for yr 1 with hopes of a full time after that.

Off subject, are you excited at all by Adrian Clarke signing? To me it is encouraging that he signed with the jets knowing how tough our minicamps are and may demonstrate he is serious about weight loss.. At one time this guy was very high thought of..

Wiil he be on the board in the 5th round? I would take a shot at a huge NT with unlimited upside. With tools like that and a coaching staff that is as good as ours, as well as the leadership from some of the other outstanding players we have on our roster, I think that this kid could be unbelievable for us. It might even allow us to play D'Rob at some DE. Can you imagine this kid and Carriker as well as a pass rushing OLB that can get after it in a big way?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet
    Off subject, are you excited at all by Adrian Clarke signing? To me it is encouraging that he signed with the jets knowing how tough our minicamps are and may demonstrate he is serious about weight loss.. At one time this guy was very high thought of..
    not really - i never really was a buyer on Clarke when he was a prospect, and the fact he's bouncing around the league isn't good. I guess he's a better prospect than Ed Blanton but what is that really saying?

Rookie
    Based on what the analysis is of him, and his size, sounds like he dropped down to juinor college because of grades or playing time(coaching staffs just sometimes single guys out and make examples of them).

Sounds like a good prospect to me, I was high on Gabe Watson last year and he did ok in the pros(didn't exactly have the greatest coaching staff). With coaching from our staff this guy sounds like a real possibility.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Rookie
    Hmmm, looks like a big guy, lol.

All League
    The name Walter Thomas is as NFL as it comes; I don't know if that is as important as his size, technique or speed though.

All League
    Any update, Bitonti? Checked DD for the snippet you had on him today. A shy fellow who weighs in not that much under 400 lb; bet he isn't that way if you get between him and his food.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death
    Any update, Bitonti? Checked DD for the snippet you had on him today. A shy fellow who weighs in not that much under 400 lb; bet he isn't that way if you get between him and his food.
    check the texasnation link at the top of this page, there was a short snippet about him today - the scouts are apparently all over him.

All League
    check the texasnation link at the top of this page, there was a short snippet about him today - the scouts are apparently all over him.
    Cheers. What chance does this guy have of getting pulled into the NFL, and how? In the draft or through being signed for a practice squad or something?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death
    Cheers. What chance does this guy have of getting pulled into the NFL, and how? In the draft or through being signed for a practice squad or something?
    planet theory dictates a man mountain like this doesn't make it past the end of round 7... i don't even know if he will make it past round 3 (Pouha didn't)

There's no weight at DT in this draft, someone will probably take a chance far earlier than expected.