Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Jets possibly interested in Bears RB Thomas Jones.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Rumor: Jets possibly interested in Bears RB Thomas Jones.

After rough ride, Jones hits stride

January 29, 2007

BY MIKE MULLIGAN
    Staff Reporter

MIAMI -- The Bears wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without running back Thomas Jones, but Jones might have been here without the Bears.
    It's a distant memory now, but last April the hot rumor had the Indianapolis Colts -- the Bears' opponent in Super Bowl XLI on Sunday -- shopping for Jones before the draft. They had lost the franchise's all-time leading rusher, Edgerrin James, to free agency and quarterback Peyton Manning's agent, Tom Condon, also happened to represent Jones.

Getting a running back like Jones for the open running lanes that Manning's offense creates was an intriguing proposition. The Bears were thought to be looking for a first-day pick for Jones, but the Colts balked at the price and decided to find their running back in the April draft, where they selected Joseph Addai.

''That was one of many rumors,'' said Jones, whose name also came up in trade talk during training camp, this time in a proposed deal with Denver for wide receiver Ashley Lelie. ''It's just rumors. I didn't really pay much attention to that whole situation. I was just working out trying to get myself better.''

Jones wound up dropping Condon and signing with Drew Rosenhaus. He didn't attend the Bears' offseason program. The starting job was awarded to Cedric Benson until he went down with an injured shoulder in training camp. Jones came back from a hamstring injury and resumed his role as the primary back. Benson came on later in the year and the combination of the two backs has made the running game the strength of the Bears' offense.

Jones was at his best in the NFC Championship Game against New Orleans. His 123 yards on 19 carries set a franchise postseason record. Jones carried the ball eight straight times on an eight-play, 69-yard scoring drive. He scored two touchdowns in that game after scoring two the week before against Seattle.

He became the first NFL player since Denver's Terrell Davis in 1997 to rush for multiple touchdowns in two straight playoff games in the same postseason.

Jones needs one touchdown in the Super Bowl to break the Bears' postseason record. Center Olin Kreutz said Jones' ability as a runner speaks for itself, but the things that make him a great teammate run deeper.

''That stuff is all obvious, but the stuff you don't see is the work ethic,'' Kreutz said. ''He's always in the weight room. He's always studying film. He even sees stuff and tells us what he sees and how he wants a play blocked. Thomas deserves everything he gets because he's a real pro.''

Nonetheless, you can use a starter's pistol to mark the beginning of Jones trade talk when the Super Bowl ends. The hot rumor is that one of the New York teams is going to make an offer to the Bears -- either the Giants to replace Tiki Barber or the Jets to replace Curtis Martin.

Salary much lower than Benson's

Jones has one year left at $2.5 million on the four-year contract he signed as a free agent out of Tampa Bay. He's the lowest-paid Bear this side of coach Lovie Smith, but with more than $15 million invested in Benson, it's only a question of time before Benson takes over. And, indeed, Benson has played well enough to show he's capable of being a starter.

''Once the season is over, whatever happens is going to happen,'' Jones said. ''I am happy to be here in Chicago. I am happy to be on this team, to be a part of what we're doing here. But at the same time, it's a business first so you never know what is going to happen. You can never tell.

''I am just excited to be here and either way, regardless of what the situation is, I am tough enough to handle whatever comes my way. I will prepare for whatever happens, just as I have prepared for whatever has happened in the past.''

Smith says the story line of Jones and Benson hasn't been discussed much of late because there is no issue between the two players. He said it takes time for relationships to develop and that's what has happened here.

''People haven't talked a lot about what they see now -- Thomas and Cedric like this most of the time,'' Smith said while interlocking his fingers. ''Two guys in the same backfield that are team players and help support each other and do what the team has asked them to do.''

Jones hasn't had the smoothest ride in his football career. Drafted by Arizona, Jones struggled with the Cardinals and it wasn't until he was traded to Tampa Bay that his career started to blossom. He moved on to the Bears but was brought in for a scheme directed by coordinator Terry Shea and was deemed a poor enough fit in Ron Turner's power running scheme that the Bears drafted Benson.

''It's been a tough road to get to this point, a very tough road,'' Jones said. ''I have had to go through a lot of different things. I really had to test my character to find out how bad I wanted to get here. I made it through all the obstacles.

He's keeping the faith

''The main thing I have always found is that I never gave up on my ability and I never lost faith that God would put me in a good position. Those two things along with my family have helped me overcome a lot of negative situations that could have come into my career or made me so discouraged that I didn't want to play anymore.''
    Instead, the coal miner's son will welcome about 20 family members -- including younger brother Julius, the Dallas Cowboys running back, to the offseason home he keeps in Miami. They'll get to see him in the Super Bowl.

And maybe the Colts will regret not making a deal.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-29-2007 at 09:15 AM.

All League
    The guy plays in the NFC. No way he can deal with the speed and power of the AFC.

No thanks. Look at the Great Daunte Culpepper. Bring Mcnabb over here if he can stay health. He would look average. Shoot Chad Pennington would be the second coming in 49er town with his AFC credentials.

Banned
    Every available RB is going to be rumored to be in either ours or the Giants' offseason plans.

I like Thomas Jones a lot, but he's getting a bit old as far as RBs go. If the Bears' asking price is very reasonable it might not be such a bad idea to take him and use him and Leon for 2 or 3 years until we can draft another good back.

The funny thing is Jones is a similar type of back that Martin was. A slasher/cutback runner.

Hall Of Fame
    good, we need to get the JETS name connected to every RB available, Jones, Hunt, Portis, Turner, so the GM's tannenbaum will be negotiating with won't know who he truly wants....

All League
    I like Thomas Jones but I wouldn't offer more than a 4th round pick for him. It can't be stated enough how easy it is to find a RB. No need to panic on this position. Use our high draft picks and free agency dollars on defense defense defense. Pass rushers are very hard to find and we have none of them. Running backs are super easy to find.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    Every available RB is going to be rumored to be in either ours or the Giants' offseason plans.

I like Thomas Jones a lot, but he's getting a bit old as far as RBs go. If the Bears' asking price is very reasonable it might not be such a bad idea to take him and use him and Leon for 2 or 3 years until we can draft another good back.

The funny thing is Jones is a similar type of back that Martin was. A slasher/cutback runner.

isn't this almost a year old??

Weren't the Jets interested in Thomas rumors surfacing when Martin was put on the PUP list???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY

Weren't the Jets interested in Thomas rumors surfacing when Martin was put on the PUP list???

I think a rumor went out that the Jets inquired about Jones, but the Bears, thinking the Jets were desperate for a back, asked for too much.

If you remember at the beginning of training camp, the Bears were said to be seriously looking at trading Jones away because Cedric Benson was going to get his shot.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    This article was published today.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®

You may be thinking of Anthony Thomas.

it's going to cost a lot to trade for the super bowl mvp.

Seriously why has every single analyst forgot how awful the colts are against the run? If I were to pick a team to beat to the colts I think it'd look almost exactly like this Bears team.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    No hes right, the jets were talking to a number of teams seeing who was available. The bears and all other teams , such as the falcons with Duckett, were asking for a lot. Finally the Jets bit on the niners saying they would take a 4th or whatever it was for Barlow.

But yea we need the Jets to be linked to alot of the possible available running backs in the league to drive down some of the cost for possibly getting one. Personally, I think Leon and either a late round filler back could do the job behind a better offensive line. Mostly the right side of the line. Get better run blockers in there and no matter who you put in the backfield they will be effective.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    no..it was Thomas Jones...the Jets could've had Anthony Thomas, who I beleive did not play in '05, for a song...

All League
    I've changed my thinking towards getting a "feature back". After hearing Mangini's
    press conferences he liked the idea of having multiple RB's that the opposition has to
    defend against. Therefore I think we will be looking for a complement to Washington
    and seeing the load split between two backs (12-15 carries each).

Hall Of Fame
    we already wasted a 4th on Barlow, if we use another pick for a RB it should be one that we actually draft

now if they will consider McCareins for Jones then I'd pull teh trigger on taht

Veteran
    This is what I’ve been saying the past month. I hope we get this guy. He's upset with his situation and would be a great pick up. He’s the real deal and has proven himself. Sounds like a Mangini guy - hard working, good teammate.

trade justin for a 3rd or 4th then trade that and our 3rd or 4th(if we get a 3rd move our 4th next year if we get a 4th move our 3rd next yr) for him then draft Hunt at 25 release or trade blaylocke for a 5th and trade Houston for a 3rd and a 6th. pick up Leonard with the skins pick then defense/ 2 WR's rest of the way. rb and fullback problem solved for the next several years.
    or trade barton and the 25th pick for a higher pick to get a stud LB, trade houston and the our second round pick to get back into 1st round or to leap frog our skins pick pick up HUNT then Leonard and follow the trading of jmac and blaylocke for picks and pick up a project speed burner WR then stick to defense and o-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman
    it's going to cost a lot to trade for the super bowl mvp.
    I couldn't agree more

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron
    trade justin for a 3rd or 4th then trade that and our 3rd or 4th(if we get a 3rd move our 4th next year if we get a 4th move our 3rd next yr) for him then draft Hunt at 25 release or trade blaylocke for a 5th and trade Houston for a 3rd and a 6th. pick up Leonard with the skins pick then defense/ 2 WR's rest of the way. rb and fullback problem solved for the next several years.
    or trade barton and the 25th pick for a higher pick to get a stud LB, trade houston and the our second round pick to get back into 1st round or to leap frog our skins pick pick up HUNT then Leonard and follow the trading of jmac and blaylocke for picks and pick up a project speed burner WR then stick to defense and o-line.
    What world do you live in where Blaylock would be tradeable for anything and Houston would be worth a 3rd and a 6th?

Come to think of it, what world do you live in where McCareins is worth a 3rd?

If Tanny could trade those three guys for those picks, then he's a magician.

TMahoney
    no..it was Thomas Jones...the Jets could've had Anthony Thomas, who I beleive did not play in '05, for a song...
    I think it was Julius Jones, not Thomas.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TMahoney
    I think it was Julius Jones, not Thomas.
    It was definitely Thomas Jones. Like someone mentioned above, rumors were flying that Thomas Jones was on the trading block because the Bears were going to hands the reigns over to Cedric Benson.