Thread: with 28,000,000.00 to spend

Veteran

with 28,000,000.00 to spend

how many star free agents will the jets be interested in signing? looking at the jets schedule this year.makes me think that the jets will take a step back and will not be in contention for the division title.will tanny open up the purse strings and sign some star free agents? I think that tanny will continue to go with building through the draft and wait till next year to sign free agents.

All League
    I think the division will be more even next season; I think the Pats will come back to the pack even more, and I think Buffalo will improve. I can't see us signing many 'star free agents'; Tanny has already said the guts of the side will be built through the draft, and also there will be a stack of clubs with a lot of cap room, so there will be a stiff competition for the 'star FA's'.

All League
    This thread will probably get alot more attention in the main board since it's not really related to the draft.

I don't think the Jets are all about big time free agents. I think they may go after Samuel though, that may be the one place they spend some cash if they Patriots stick to thier usual plan and let all of thier top guys go. Other than that i would expect some more under the radar signings like Brad Kassel and Andre Dyson which panned out in one case and the other not too much so far. Look at how important Dyson was for this team though, that was a great signing.

All League
    IMO that 28 Million does not include the resigning of Bryan Thomas ( 4Million)
    signing your Draft picks (4 million) extending Cotchery ( 5 million ?) resigning
    Clement (2million ?).... Money goes fast... 13million left for your free agent shopping spree

Jets aren't the only team with money to burn...there are a lot of teams with some heavy duty deep pockets this offseason.

I'd like to see us sign at most 2 free agents.

CB - either Clements (Bills) or Samuel (Patriots). It would both help us and hurt a division rival.

G - Eric Steinbach (Bengals) or Kris Dielman (San Diego). Maybe Derrick Dockery (Washington) or Jordan Black (KC) if the first two didn't work out. We need to upgrade Moore and add some experience to the line. And all of these guys are young and could play for years.

While these signings would help the Jets, I seriously doubt that the teams will let them go. So these players will likely be franchised or resigned.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 02-04-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    I'd like to see us sign at most 2 free agents.

CB - either Clements (Bills) or Samuel (Patriots). It would both help us and hurt a division rival.

G - Eric Steinbach (Bengals) or Kris Dielman (San Diego).
    I'd rather get Clements and Dielman. I'm not sold on Samuel being the corner we think he is, he was in his contract year and he has a tattoo on his arm that reads "get paid", not the type of guy that I would want while Clements has been one of the top corners in the league for a few years now. He's been extremely solid his whole career.

And I like Dielman better, not sure why, just do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet#24Eventually
    I'd rather get Clements and Dielman. I'm not sold on Samuel being the corner we think he is, he was in his contract year and he has a tattoo on his arm that reads "get paid", not the type of guy that I would want while Clements has been one of the top corners in the league for a few years now. He's been extremely solid his whole career.

And I like Dielman better, not sure why, just do.

Those would be my choices as well. I think Samuel is a little full of himself. And Dielman has been on one of the best run blocking units in the game. Steinbach was arrested for public drunkeness or something like that. Nothing huge but still not a good sign.

If we got Clements and Dielman I'd be very happy.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 02-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Veteran
    if we landed clements and dielman that would open up many opportunity's during the draft..we could actually move up and try to land marshawn lynch, and grab a DE/OLB with our 2nd..right there our team will be 100% better...remember tanny said he wanted to first focus on filling needs in FA..OL,CB are big holes and it could lead to us getting some real play makers in the draft with out worrying about another need...honestly i want to see clements, dielman, and sands in green and white this off season, and trade our 1st and washingtons 2nd up for lynch...then take the next best OLB in the draft with our 2nd
    Last edited by NYJets69; 02-04-2007 at 05:02 PM.