Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will steer the Jets in '07: Pennington or Clemens? (merged)

All League

Who will steer the Jets in '07: Pennington or Clemens?

http://www.sportsline.com/

Chad Pennington had a so-so season for the Jets in 2006 and Eric Mangini has said the competition will be open come training camp. That means second-year player Kellen Clemens, a player the Jets love, could be in line to push Pennington out.

All League
    I say we get rid of Noodle arm. we all know he can't beat a top 10 defense or win in the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm bringin it back!

All League
    had a dream last night Clemens was the starter and we were undefeated going into the giant game. of course we could play the giants in the 2nd week which wouldn't mean much

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    I say we get rid of Noodle arm. we all know he can't beat a top 10 defense or win in the playoffs.
    I thought you were a Chad supporter?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is an interesting topic that really has never been discussed.

Is Pennington the QB for the Jets?

All League
    Didn't Pennington beat like 4 or 5 top 10 defenses this year? I know New England and the Vikings were 2 of them. i think the Bills may have been the 3rd and i can't remember who the 4th was.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I'm bringin it back!

Hall Of Fame
    check your facts before you throw **** at the wall.......

All Pro
    JetsMike, is that really you? Sarcasm perhaps?

All Pro
    Pennington will be our starter to begin the season. Mangini understands that Pennington will bring a certain level of success and leadership to this team until another QB is ready to take over. It would be too much of a risk to start the season with an untested and unproven young QB.

If Pennington struggles and the team degrades from this past season, I would expect to see Clemens come in at some point. If Pennington takes us to the playoffs again or simply has a winning season, the true QB competition will take place in the summer of 2008.

You are so right, get rid of that bum Pennington, bring in David Carr a proven winner

Quote Originally Posted by parafly
    Pennington will be our starter to begin the season. Mangini understands that Pennington will bring a certain level of success and leadership to this team until another QB is ready to take over. It would be too much of a risk to start the season with an untested and unproven young QB.

If Pennington struggles and the team degrades from this past season, I would expect to see Clemens come in at some point. If Pennington takes us to the playoffs again or simply has a winning season, the true QB competition will take place in the summer of 2008.

I see pretty much the same scenario, i think you hit the nail on the head

Hall Of Fame
    I'm a fan of whoever WINS the QB competition in training camp.

I personally, have no doubt in my mind that will be Penny, but who knows...........

Barring injury, Pennington will start. Chuck will get a look in training camp but I don't think he'll be ready yet.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly

Completely agree.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    Didn't Pennington beat like 4 or 5 top 10 defenses this year? I know New England and the Vikings were 2 of them. i think the Bills may have been the 3rd and i can't remember who the 4th was.
    Miami

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Miami
    The guy still has a noodle arm and can't beat good teams. If he can last 4 or 5 games without getting hurt he would be lucky.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Miami
    Thats right, it was Miami 2 times which would be 4 top 10 defenses but 5 times during the season.

Veteran
    The Q asks, "Who will steer the Jets in 07?"

A: Eric Mangini

I have complete faith that Eric and Mike T will choose the players that give us the best chance to win. If Clemens absorbs the O playbook and is mature enough to lead the huddle, I have no doubt that he'll start over the less physically gifted Chad. If he's not ready, Kellen will sit and learn.

Let also recall that the Jets could still make a play for Schaub or another UFA. You never know.