Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relevant PFW Whispers

Banned

Relevant PFW Whispers

Word is Patriots LB Tedy Bruschi, by all accounts, is coming back in 2007, but he won't continue in a full-time role. We hear Bruschi's shortcomings in pass coverage, which were illustrated in the AFC title-game loss to the Colts when he couldn't keep up with TE Dallas Clark, make him a liability in that area and likely mean he'll be filling a part-time role as his career winds down.

Though he'll be an unrestricted free agent, Dolphins DE Vonnie Holliday told PFW that he would prefer to stay in South Florida, and the return of defensive coordinator Dom Capers is a big reason why. "No one wants to rebuild and go through that whole process of learning a new defense, but it happens," he said. "But the opportunity to come back here and continue to play on a team that I'm very familiar with and for Coach Dom Capers, a guy I've gotten to know very well over the last year and who I have tremendous respect for, would be an excellent opportunity and one I look forward to."

We hear that the Jets may go after Patriots OLB Tully Banta-Cain in free agency and that the Patriots may be willing to let him go after he was effectively benched in his last two playoff games -- against San Diego and Indianapolis.

A lot of people around the league believe that New England will make a big run at free-agent LB Adalius Thomas if he enters free agency. Thomas is a Patriots type of player across the board -- with great size, instincts and love for the game.

CBS analyst Steve Tasker told PFW that the Bills still believe in RB Willis McGahee but that his limitations keep him from being considered an elite back. "I think there are some things Willis doesn't do as well as other top backs. He's a power runner. He runs downhill and he doesn't hop, jump and skip, but that also means he doesn't hop, jump and skip in pass routes, and they have to tailor pass routes for him. So that's a limitation, although he catches the ball well and runs well after catching it. But he's more of a screen-pass guy and a swing-type guy. He's not going to split out, catch it in the slot and make a guy miss."

We hear the Jets were a bit surprised that Richie Anderson left for Arizona to be the Cardinals' TE coach after just one year as the Jets' assistant WR-TE coach. Word is Anderson is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and this move has put him on the fast track up the coaching ladder.
    Anyone know anything about this Banta-Cain guy? Seems to me like he'd be another Patriots reject that wouldn't bring us any closer to being better than them... Looking at his stats, it seems like he's had 2 or 3 big games, and then disappears for the rest... Am I missing something?
    Last edited by EY; 02-11-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Practice Squad
    Pats going after the big ticket (Adalius THomas) and we get their scrub. I am not to keen on that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dinamite
    Pats going after the big ticket (Adalius THomas) and we get their scrub. I am not to keen on that.
    I agree 100%

I'm not in favor of going after Thomas myself... But if they get Thomas, and we take the guy he's replacing, to me, that just seems like another step in the wrong direction.

The only way this makes sense is if he's a total depth signing, and doesn't cost us anything.

Banned
    I don't for one second believe that the Jets would be content to get B-C, while NE gets Adalius. I can't imagine a scenario in which the Jets FO wouldn't at least attempt to lure in Adalius first, then maybe B-C is the plan B.

Intriguing rumors... but lets remember that the offseason just started, there'll be plenty more rumors and all of them should be taken with a grain of salt.

All Pro
    No Banta please, why do we want a guy who got benched during the Pats biggest games.I don't want the Pats leftovers, why don't we make a push for Thomas and at least make an effort.He can add to some leadership to this defense on and off the field.I don't want to over pay for anybody ,at the same time I don't want to be cheap either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    No Banta please, why do we want a guy who got benched during the Pats biggest games.I don't want the Pats leftovers, why don't we make a push for Thomas and at least make an effort.He can add to some leadership to this defense on and off the field.I don't want to over pay for anybody ,at the same time I don't want to be cheap either.
    I just think Thomas will get too expensive when all is said and done...

Though the prospect of having starting OLBs A.Thomas and B.Thomas does have a great deal of novelty value.

Rookie
    i wonder how the jets didnt know anderson was wanted and why they didnt make him a counter offfer to stay.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    I just think Thomas will get too expensive when all is said and done...

Though the prospect of having starting OLBs A.Thomas and B.Thomas does have a great deal of novelty value.
    You might be right, but at least we should make an effort to get him and show some interest. Some veterans like the fact to be able to play for an HC who shows the smarts and class act of possible being an NFL elite. You never know, veterans pay attention to other coaches around the league .It wouldn't hurt this F.O to show something.But NO BANTA.... B.Thomas, A. Thomas on the outside and Vilma and Hobson in the inside. With Carriker ,D Rob and Ellis on the line. That's a nice front 7 if you ask me.

If we are able to get Carriker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    You might be right, but at least we should make an effort to get him and show some interest. Some veterans like the fact to be able to play for an HC who shows the smarts and class act of possible being an NFL elite. You never know, veterans pay attention to other coaches around the league .It wouldn't hurt this F.O to show something.But NO BANTA.... B.Thomas, A. Thomas on the outside and Vilma and Hobson in the inside. With Carriker ,D Rob and Ellis on the line. That's a nice front 7 if you ask me.

If we are able to get Carriker.
    That last part is a big IF. Carriker is a long shot at this point with SF and PITT picking ahead of us and 3-4 DE being a need for both teams. I'd love it, but it's not likely.

As far as A. Thomas goes, I wouldn't mind throwing our hat in the ring if for no other reason than maybe we steal him cheap, not likely, but better yet... we drive up the price for NE if they are in fact interested.

Hall Of Fame
    I think the rumor that the Jets are going aftre Canta-Play is just nonsense. Ask Pats fans, he's a scrub. The media is just keen on the story line of the Jets going after Pats players. There is never any citation to what such rumor is based on.

Remember, the sports media makes a lot of stuff up they hide behind the term "speculation." Plus, the No. 1 group of guys who talk to the media for which this rumors are based are sports agents. It may very well be the case that Canta-Play's agent wants to get his client's name out there and one way is to start a rumor about the Jets being interested.

Hall Of Fame
    We hear that the Jets may go after Patriots OLB Tully Banta-Cain in free agency and that the Patriots may be willing to let him go after he was effectively benched in his last two playoff games -- against San Diego and Indianapolis.

A lot of people around the league believe that New England will make a big run at free-agent LB Adalius Thomas if he enters free agency. Thomas is a Patriots type of player across the board -- with great size, instincts and love for the game.

if we go after the scrub, and let the pats get thomas, that would be a huge blunder.

All League
    I don't see it. Look at the numbers - the Jets have a better player in Victor Hobson. More physical against the run, better in coverage, higher sack total.

As for Thomas, for those who may be insinuating it, it wouldn't make much sense for the Jets. I know he's good, but he'll be 30 the time the season starts.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSRULE05
    I don't see it. Look at the numbers - the Jets have a better player in Victor Hobson. More physical against the run, better in coverage, higher sack total.

As for Thomas, for those who may be insinuating it, it wouldn't make much sense for the Jets. I know he's good, but he'll be 30 the time the season starts.
    Hobson is not better then Thomas.Don't forget who surrounds Thomas on that defense so don't even bring in numbers..

Hall Of Fame

dude, hobson got turned inside so many times this year on outside runs, it was sickening.

the age is a legitimate concern, as is the cast around him, but he played all front 7 positions, and S for the ravens

that's simply unheard of flexibility. he's a 270 lb freak

hobson may be able to play 2 positions in a 3-4. dude, its not even close

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'd much rather draft Woodley or Spencer at #25.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I'd much rather draft Woodley or Spencer at #25.

I LOVE woodley. Isn't 25 too high for him ? what are the chances he'll be around at 37 ?

Hall Of Fame
    I don't want to see the Jets go after Thomas and it'll be laughable if the Patriots do. Granted, he's a very good player for the present, but he's already getting older and is going to be looking for a HUGE payday. In a few years, whoever pays Thomas is going to be stuck with a huge contract for an old player.

As far as Banta-Cain, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets were interested. HOWEVER, there is no interest there in him as a starter. You have to realize something, the Jets have no REAL depth at OLB. Hell, the Jets only really have one prototypical OLB on their entire roster. The rest of their guys are all ILBs or 4-3 LBs. Banta-Cain would add another guy who fits the OLB mold onto the team, has familiarity with Mangini and could provide some depth, nothing more. As long as he comes cheap, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot. If he stinks it up so badly that he's not even a valid option at OLB, then cut him. How much worse could he possibly be then our backup LBs we had this year?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green
    I don't want to see the Jets go after Thomas and it'll be laughable if the Patriots do. Granted, he's a very good player for the present, but he's already getting older and is going to be looking for a HUGE payday. In a few years, whoever pays Thomas is going to be stuck with a huge contract for an old player.

As far as Banta-Cain, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets were interested. HOWEVER, there is no interest there in him as a starter. You have to realize something, the Jets have no REAL depth at OLB. Hell, the Jets only really have one prototypical OLB on their entire roster. The rest of their guys are all ILBs or 4-3 LBs. Banta-Cain would add another guy who fits the OLB mold onto the team, has familiarity with Mangini and could provide some depth, nothing more. As long as he comes cheap, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot. If he stinks it up so badly that he's not even a valid option at OLB, then cut him. How much worse could he possibly be then our backup LBs we had this year?
    Yeah he was familiar with Beli's scheme too and he gets benched in their two biggest games . Shows you how much trust they have in him.Thomas might be looking for a big payday,but it doesn't hurt to try and get him or make the Pats efforts tougher.I don't want another Chatham type or another Kassell type just to feel a roster spot.If Cain is our only option then I'm willing to try,but I hate the fact of this so quick to show interest for a player who basically the Pats are happy to let go.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    dude, hobson got turned inside so many times this year on outside runs, it was sickening.

the age is a legitimate concern, as is the cast around him, but he played all front 7 positions, and S for the ravens

that's simply unheard of flexibility. he's a 270 lb freak

hobson may be able to play 2 positions in a 3-4. dude, its not even close
    I said Hobson was better than Banta-Cain, not Thomas.

Hall Of Fame
    I said Hobson was better than Banta-Cain, not Thomas.

that splains it !