Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falcons' Kerney voids deal, enters free agency

Veteran

Falcons' Kerney voids deal, enters free agency

I didnt see this posted yet.
    NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Feb. 24, 2007) -- Atlanta Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney voided his contract, and potentially lucrative free-agent options could make it difficult for the team to re-sign their top pass rusher.

Kerney opted out of the final two years of his contract to explore his options as an unrestricted free agent, the team confirmed.

Even though he is coming off an injury, Kerney may top the field of free-agent defensive ends. Three other top defensive ends -- Dwight Freeney of Indianapolis, Cincinnati's Justin Smith and New Orleans' Charles Grant -- have been designated by their teams as franchise players.

The Falcons don't have the option of placing a franchise tag on Kerney because he does not have an expiring contract.

It may be difficult for the Falcons to make a competitive bid for Kerney. The team is only about $10 million under the salary cap and with new coach Bobby Petrino seeking to add balance to a run-oriented offense, offensive line and wide receiver may be priorities.

Kerney, 30, made 105 consecutive starts before he suffered a torn right pectoral muscle in the ninth game last season. He was leading the team with 4 1/2 sacks at the time of the injury.

Kerney ranks third on the Falcons' career list with 58 sacks. The injury may have reminded Kerney, a 1999 first-round pick, that this may be his last chance for a big contract.

"I've only got about five more years to play, and I've got to make the most out of it," Kerney told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "As great as it would have been to finish my career with Atlanta, where everybody, especially the fans, have been great to me in my eight years there, the business side is there."

Kerney, a first-round pick in 1999, earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2004 after setting a career high with 13 sacks. He had 12 sacks in his 2001 breakout season.

There were early concerns that Kerney (6-5, 273) would be too light to be an effective run-stopper, but he bulked up during his career and even started at end in a 3-4 scheme.

After Kerney's injury last season, 2004 fourth-round pick Chauncey Davis started at left end.

The Falcons spent big money -- and a first-round draft pick -- on the defensive end position when they acquired John Abraham before last season. The team sent the No. 15 overall pick in last year's draft to Denver in a three-team trade after agreeing to a six-year deal with Abraham.

Injuries limited Abraham to only eight games last season.

The Falcons also could lose fullbacks Justin Griffith and Fred McCrary, kicker Morten Andersen and receiver Ashley Lelie as unrestricted free agents.

Backup quarterback Matt Schaub is a key restricted free agent. Linebacker Demorrio Williams also is a restricted free agent

Hall Of Fame
    I think this guy would be a GREAT addition to our front four. Seems to have "under the radar" numbers. A guy that doesn't get an awful lot of press but yet at the same time has very nice numbers.

What's weird though, is WHY did he decide to void the remaining year on his contract??

I know he's a NY guy, but wasn't he happy in Atlanta? Wouldn't he WANT to remain in Atlanta if at all possible??

All League
    It would be great for the draft if they could get either Kerney or Adalius Thomas to give us a good pass rush. Depending on who they actually get, they might have a chance at Carriker or Woodly in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    Wouldn't he WANT to remain in Atlanta if at all possible??

I'm sure Kerney and his agent looked at all of the cap money available and saw there was no competition for DE if he came out. He'd be #1. He's 30 years old now so he's still young enough to get a big contract. But if he stayed for the last 2 years of his deal in Atlanta, he probably wouldn't get a big deal after that. It's a smart move on Kerney's part to become a free agent this year.

Could he help the Jets - I don't think so. The article says he's played 3-4 DE but he's 25 pounds lighter than ideal. If he's getting all of those sacks he's playing 1 gap penetration. So he'd have to change his style to play for us. Add to that he's coming off of a big injury.

I think there are much better ways for us to spend our cap money this year other than on Kerney (Adalius Thomas, one or two OL, etc).

Banned
    no interest at all. we don't need to get EVERY white free agent.

Buyer beware on this one. He is 30+ coming off an injury plagued season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic
    Buyer beware on this one. He is 30+ ....
    FYI: A. Thomas will be 30 next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic

I've thought about that as well. But Thomas is 29 as of today. He's never had a serious injury. And he didn't play that much early in his career. So there's not much wear on the tires.

I now think Adalius Thomas would be a GREAT pickup.

Hall Of Fame
    I think this guy would be a GREAT addition to our front four. Seems to have "under the radar" numbers. A guy that doesn't get an awful lot of press but yet at the same time has very nice numbers.

What's weird though, is WHY did he decide to void the remaining year on his contract??

I know he's a NY guy, but wasn't he happy in Atlanta? Wouldn't he WANT to remain in Atlanta if at all possible??
    I thought the Jets base D was a 3-4........

Doesn't seem to fit a 3-4 D

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart
    Doesn't seem to fit a 3-4 D

Thomas would be a 3-4 OLB for us. His main job would be to rush the passer. His 11 sacks last year shows he's pretty good at that. He'd be a great bookend with Brian Thomas. We need impact players on our defense since Vilma has disappeared.

And Adalius is big enough (270) to handle the run while still athletic enough to drop into coverage occasionally. He was great at all these things with the Ravens. So he'd be the perfect LB for the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    Thomas would be a 3-4 OLB for us. His main job would be to rush the passer. His 11 sacks last year shows he's pretty good at that. He'd be a great bookend with Brian Thomas. We need impact players on our defense since Vilma has disappeared.

And Adalius is big enough (270) to handle the run while still athletic enough to drop into coverage occasionally. He was great at all these things with the Ravens. So he'd be the perfect LB for the Jets.
    I thought this thread was about Kerney - that is who I was referencing...

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookBarringer
    .... whats wrong with WHITE free agents???? I don't know you, so I can't accuse you... but thats a pretty racist thing to say.

... anyway, if they are a good player and fit what we are looking for what difference does their color make???

... That being said... I don't want Kerney.... he'd be to expencive, and he's an injury prone old guy.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 02-25-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart
    I thought this thread was about Kerney - that is who I was referencing...

Woops - that's my mistake. I must have A. Thomas on the brain !

No, Kerney doesn't fit on our defense at all.

Veteran
    What does that have to do with anything? You're right, maybe an ALL-BLACK team would give us a better chance at winning the division.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325
    It would be great for the draft if they could get either Kerney or Adalius Thomas to give us a good pass rush. Depending on who they actually get, they might have a chance at Carriker or Woodly in the draft.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get both...that would be amazing for pickups in FA (throw Clements into the mix), then go into the draft, get some great RB, fortify the lines, and go out and tear up the '07 season. So, I'm a little overly optimistic, but hey...it's the offseason.

"I've only got about five more years to play, and I've got to make the most out of it," Kerney told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "As great as it would have been to finish my career with Atlanta, where everybody, especially the fans, have been great to me in my eight years there, the business side is there."

So, what's he saying here...sounds like a player that's more interested in the big wind fall than playing for the ring...I'd pass.

Rookie

Because the man is SMART

Every single team has an a$$load of caproom. Teams are stupid with this much money available for them to spend. He's looking to cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic
    Thanks Brother Fanatic.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic
    Buyer beware on this one. He is 30+ coming off an injury plagued season.
    Heh an injury plagued season? I didn't know making 105 straight starts then tearing a muscle in your chest makes you injury plagued. Didn't know that...

All League
    Yeah because A. Thomas is white right? Moron.