Thread: Troy Smith --- Mr. Heisman

All League

Troy Smith --- Mr. Heisman

Man this guy is falling, falling. Where do you think he'll wind up? Why is he not translating into a good NFL pro candidate?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB
    Man this guy is falling, falling. Where do you think he'll wind up? Why is he not translating into a good NFL pro candidate?
    Second day player. 4th rounder probably. Hes too short and doesnt project well as an NFL starting QB

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7
    Second day player. 4th rounder probably. Hes too short and doesnt project well as an NFL starting QB
    wow. that's a far slide.

A little trivia:
    [B]
    How many heismans have been selected on Day 2 of the draft?

Veteran
    im guessing hes a late 2nd to 3rd round pick.. the reason being is that hes only 6'

All League
    it has to more than his size. Brees is 6-0, Jeff Garcia is 6-1, Doug Flutie was 5 something.

All Pro
    I'd pick him in the 4th, if we had a pick and if he was there. I like the guy and think he can be a good pro. I wouldn't use a day one pick but, if he was there on the second day, I could't pass on him.

Hall Of Fame
    i personaly think this guys will be a steal......he lost lots and lots of money in that championship game.....and its a shame too.

this isnt tee martin, this guy cal ball.

All League
    Canada in 3 years tops

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    i personaly think this guys will be a steal......he lost lots and lots of money in that championship game.....and its a shame too.

this isnt tee martin, this guy cal ball.
    +1

Plus a BIG one.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB
    wow. that's a far slide.

A little trivia:
    [B]
    How many heismans have been selected on Day 2 of the draft?
    I recall one who ended up playing point for the Knicks 'cause it didn't look like he was getting drafted. (Ward)

Veteran

websites have the jets picking troy smith

some websites have the jets picking troy smith in the fifth round.I think that pick is worth a shot.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

this should make some people chuckle...

I have a tape on right now of the Ohio State/Iowa game from last season....a Saturday night game...Bob Davie and Kirk Hirbstreit are talking about Troy Smith....Davie says to Herbstriet, "okay Herb- you are in the NFL and you have to make the pick right now...who do you choose; Brady Quinn or Troy Smith?"

Herbstriet says, "well, you know"...

Davie replies.."nope- you've got to make the pick RIGHT NOW!"

Herstreit responds, "considering the way the NFL game is played today I gotta go with Troy Smith"....

CBTNY

How much can a QB's athleticism and productivity compensate for his height? A guy like Smith has a good arm, can run, has a strong build. He's also been productive at a top school. Can that make up for not being 6-5?

Maybe a creative OC could have Smith roll out more to get unobstructed passing lanes? I just want to believe that a player can still be a good QB even if he's not a giant. I mean Drew Brees is pretty good.

What's your take on how much lack of height limits a QB prospect?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY

I have a tape on right now of the Ohio State/Iowa game from last season....a Saturday night game...Bob Davie and Kirk Hirbstreit are talking about Troy Smith....Davie says to Herbstriet, "okay Herb- you are in the NFL and you have to make the pick right now...who do you choose; Brady Quinn or Troy Smith?"

Herstreit responds, "considering the way the NFL game is played today I gotta go with Troy Smith"....
    Not surprising considering his OSU bias...

But some accuse me for being biased so I'll shut up now...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    CBTNY

How much can a QB's athleticism and productivity compensate for his height? A guy like Smith has a good arm, can run, has a strong build. He's also been productive at a top school. Can that make up for not being 6-5?

Maybe a creative OC could have Smith roll out more to get unobstructed passing lanes? I just want to believe that a player can still be a good QB even if he's not a giant. I mean Drew Brees is pretty good.

What's your take on how much lack of height limits a QB prospect?
    Lack of height will always be a problem.....when you are a 6-0 passer and have linemen that range from 6-2 to 6-5 field vision is always going to be impaired and you won't see all the passing lanes, hence you'll be doing a lot of rolling outside the pocket to get a better view...

Fact is Smith is not near the athlete some want to make him out to be...solid but not a guy that can create ala Vick, McNabb, etc....the bigger point is his downfield arm and accuracy are average on a good day, which is a point people dismiss...

Hall Of Fame
    When a QB wins it, quite a few end up second day picks (if they are drafted at all): Danny Weurffel, Gino Toretta, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Ty Detmer

All League
    Troy is a leader with great character, can't say anything about the championship game but he won almost every other big game including 3 wins over Michigan and 2 of 3 in bowl games (and beating Michigan is more important to most Buckeye fans)

And forget about questioning 2nd day Heismans picks... How many Heisman winners have gone on to great careers in the NFL, not many! The Heisman is about his college career and Troy was a deserving winner. Especially when you consider the path he traveled.

I think he will be a day 1 pick and worst case be a good backup and great locker room guy with potential for a Brees like career in the NFL
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 03-07-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan
    Troy is a leader with great character, can't say anything about the championship game but he won almost every other big game including 3 wins over Michigan and 2 of 3 in bowl games (and beating Michigan is more important to most Buckeye fans)

And forget about questioning 2nd day Heismans picks... How many Heisman winners have gone on to great careers in the NFL, not many! The Heisman is about his college career and Troy was a deserving winner. Especially when you consider the path he traveled.

I think he will be a day 1 pick and worst case be a good backup and great locker room guy with potential for a Brees like career in the NFL

almost but not exactly...the Heisman is about the best player in college football for any given year rather than a college career....

your overall point is right on though; the Heisman goes to the best college football player, not the best NFL prospect in college football...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the Jags will take this player far too high, like second round. They don't have alot of obvious needs and are cornering the market on Non-white Qbs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY

lol - maybe Herb was thinking about the pro arena game