Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is our answer for a big HB leaving our Team in FA? (Askew, merged threads)

All Pro

Is our answer for a big HB leaving our Team in FA?

Jets Askew wants to make move from fullback to halfback
    Written by: Associated Press 3/1/2007
    Source:
    NEW YORK (AP) -B.J. Askew wants to change his identity on the football field.

After spending his first four NFL seasons with the New York Jets as a fullback, Askew intends to explore free agency and shop himself around as a halfback.

``Trust me, that's what I do the best,'' Askew told The Associated Press. ``Just because I've been able to play fullback at a competitive level, that was pleasing to a lot of people. Now, I'm at the point where I've had enough, and it's time for me to do what I do best.''

The 26-year-old Askew was drafted by the Jets in the third round in 2003 out of Michigan as a fullback. He had a reputation for being a versatile playmaker out of the backfield who can run, catch or throw big blocks.

Askew hasn't quite had that type of impact with the Jets.

``I've been one-dimensional,'' he said. ``And I'm not one-dimensional at all.''

Despite standing out on special teams, Askew has just 102 yards rushing on 27 carries and 12 catches for 73 yards in four seasons while being used mainly as a blocker. He hasn't scored a touchdown.

``I've waited four years and I haven't complained,'' Askew said. ``I sort of let things go the way they were going. A lot of people didn't know how much I fought with it. I fought with it almost everyday. Only my dad knew, and I'd tell him, `Man, I'm sitting here watching guys come in and out. All they need is to give me a chance, put the ball in my hands and let me do what I can do.'''

It doesn't seem as though that opportunity will come with the Jets, who appear to be ready to allow Askew to become a free agent.

``I think by being in free agency and me just going ahead and saying now to kill all the confusion, `Look, I want to play halfback, and if you guys don't want me to play halfback, then I'll test the market out,' then that's the route that I'll go,'' he said. ``The chances that the Jets re-sign me, I don't know. It's pretty much a toss up. They know what I can do. They'll just have to see if I'm what they're looking for.''

New York released veterans Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blaylock, and Curtis Martin will likely officially retire in the coming months. That leaves the Jets with Leon Washington and bulldozing Cedric Houston as the only halfbacks on the roster.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Askew claims he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds last offseason, an impressive time - especially for a fullback. He plans to show off that speed for any teams interested.

``I'm shooting for a 4.3 in workouts, so we'll see,'' Askew said. ``Trust me, I can do it. I'm going to go out there and showcase myself, sort of like the combine.''

Askew said he made his preference to play halfback known to the Jets last year, when the team used an ever-changing rotation of players at the position, including quarterback-turned-receiver Brad Smith.

``I thought for sure, `Oh, man. This is going to turn out good for me,''' he said. ``They just never gave it a chance.''

Askew said he put on 10 pounds last summer to be a more powerful fullback, but the Jets objected.

``They said they didn't want me to be that big, and I asked why,'' Askew said. ``They said, `Don't we plan on using you in the passing game?' So, then I said I'd drop it, and I got right back down to 235. At the beginning of the year, they were passing to me a little bit, but then, as the regular season started, it was like all of that stuff just changed.''

At Michigan, Askew was a productive halfback, but moved to fullback when Anthony Thomas decided to stay for his senior year.

``They told me, `Hey, if you want playing time, you've got to go to fullback because we're going to try to get Anthony the Heisman this year,''' he said. ``So, of course I went to fullback. I was a kid wanting to play football. That's all I wanted to do. I made the move and, unfortunately, I did too good a job.''

Askew references his college production for those who question if he could handle making the switch from fullback to halfback in the NFL. He finished his Michigan career with 1,580 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns, and had 83 receptions for 777 yards and six scores.

``This is something that everybody who knows me knows is something I want to do,'' Askew said. ``In the end, you've got to be happy. I can't imagine the depression I would feel if I went on and still played fullback and never got the chance to go to halfback. Then I'd be 40 or 50 wondering if I could've done it. I figure, `Hey, I'm a free agent. This is the perfect opportunity to change things.'''
    Obviously were not resigning him but I wish him well. he ran very well the only time he ever got the ball alot in the raider game. If he has 4.3-4.4 speed I could see a team trying him out in minicamp as a HB.

Given how thin we are at RB, it doesn't seem smart to let a guy like Askew go. If he is running those types of numbers (4.4) at his size, he may have the ability to play RB in the NFL. He played at Michigan so the guy must have some talent. He knows our system, he's cheap and still young. I am surprised the coaching staff doesn't hang on to this guy to leave our options open.

Then again they saw him evey day in practice. So they must not be too impressed. But really, can he be any worse than Barlow?

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe BJ shoulda practiced without a t-shirt more often.

All League
    Considering the fact that Mangini played anyone who would help him win I find
    Askew's beef hollow. Cotchery was buried for two years and he made an impact,
    Thomas was considered a bust and he made an impact. Maybe if Askew stayed
    on the field more he would have been used more.

Veteran
    I had no idea the Jets were intent on letting him go untill I read the newspaper today.
    Who else do we have to fill that role? Did we hold onto that Tight end we drafted last year that got hurt? I remember talk about using him as a fullback. Any change this means they have a legit interest in Brian Leonard?

Hall Of Fame
    Hodgins is still here, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    Given how thin we are at RB, it doesn't seem smart to let a guy like Askew go. If he is running those types of numbers (4.4) at his size, he may have the ability to play RB in the NFL. He played at Michigan so the guy must have some talent. He knows our system, he's cheap and still young. I am surprised the coaching staff doesn't hang on to this guy to leave our options open.

Then again they saw him evey day in practice. So they must not be too impressed. But really, can he be any worse than Barlow?
    He's not going to resign with us for the league minimum, which is what we are probably offering. He's had 4 yrs here and didn't really make an impact. im guessing he's anxious to move on.

Not sure how much he'll get on the market, but its more than he'll get here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Obviously were not resigning him but I wish him well. he ran very well the only time he ever got the ball alot in the raider game. If he has 4.3-4.4 speed I could see a team trying him out in minicamp as a HB.
    No.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater
    THANK YOU! I knew we had someone else but i couldnt remember who and it was really bothering me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Hodgins bigger, much more of a blocking fullback, no?

Banned
    I suggested we try him out last year at HB, but if the coaches didn't want to use him... then there must be a reason why, despite all the praise BJ has for himself. I trust the coaches more. Our perception of ourselves is ALWAYS quite different than the perception others have of us.

imo askew seemed to be dinged up quite a bit and never seemed to stay on the field much. he did show some ability to catch and run but i doubt if he could be an effective runner unless he got a good line. one thought, i wonder if the jets ever tried him at te like the raiders did with christiansen way back when.

Anybody read this article about Askew

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6519340

Jets fullback Askew wants to be halfback
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 4 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - B.J. Askew wants to change his identity on the football field.

NFL free agency
    Division-by-division previews:
    NFC: East | North | South | West
    AFC: East | North | South | West
    Top free agents:
    QB | RB | WR/TE | OL | DL | LB | DB

After spending his first four NFL seasons with the New York Jets as a fullback, Askew intends to explore free agency and shop himself around as a halfback.

"Trust me, that's what I do the best," Askew told The Associated Press. "Just because I've been able to play fullback at a competitive level, that was pleasing to a lot of people. Now, I'm at the point where I've had enough, and it's time for me to do what I do best."

The 26-year-old Askew was drafted by the Jets in the third round in 2003 out of Michigan as a fullback. He had a reputation for being a versatile playmaker out of the backfield who can run, catch or throw big blocks.

Askew hasn't quite had that type of impact with the Jets.

"I've been one-dimensional," he said. "And I'm not one-dimensional at all."

Despite standing out on special teams, Askew has just 102 yards rushing on 27 carries and 12 catches for 73 yards in four seasons while being used mainly as a blocker. He hasn't scored a touchdown.

"I've waited four years and I haven't complained," Askew said. "I sort of let things go the way they were going. A lot of people didn't know how much I fought with it. I fought with it almost everyday. Only my dad knew, and I'd tell him, 'Man, I'm sitting here watching guys come in and out. All they need is to give me a chance, put the ball in my hands and let me do what I can do."'

It doesn't seem as though that opportunity will come with the Jets, who appear to be ready to allow Askew to become a free agent.

"I think by being in free agency and me just going ahead and saying now to kill all the confusion, 'Look, I want to play halfback, and if you guys don't want me to play halfback, then I'll test the market out,' then that's the route that I'll go," he said. "The chances that the Jets re-sign me, I don't know. It's pretty much a toss up. They know what I can do. They'll just have to see if I'm what they're looking for."

New York released veterans Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blaylock, and Curtis Martin will likely officially retire in the coming months. That leaves the Jets with Leon Washington and bulldozing Cedric Houston as the only halfbacks on the roster.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Askew claims he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds last offseason, an impressive time - especially for a fullback. He plans to show off that speed for any teams interested.

"I'm shooting for a 4.3 in workouts, so we'll see," Askew said. "Trust me, I can do it. I'm going to go out there and showcase myself, sort of like the combine."

Askew said he made his preference to play halfback known to the Jets last year, when the team used an ever-changing rotation of players at the position, including quarterback-turned-receiver Brad Smith.

"I thought for sure, 'Oh, man. This is going to turn out good for me,"' he said. "They just never gave it a chance."

Askew said he put on 10 pounds last summer to be a more powerful fullback, but the Jets objected.

"They said they didn't want me to be that big, and I asked why," Askew said. "They said, 'Don't we plan on using you in the passing game?' So, then I said I'd drop it, and I got right back down to 235. At the beginning of the year, they were passing to me a little bit, but then, as the regular season started, it was like all of that stuff just changed."

At Michigan, Askew was a productive halfback, but moved to fullback when Anthony Thomas decided to stay for his senior year.

"They told me, 'Hey, if you want playing time, you've got to go to fullback because we're going to try to get Anthony the Heisman this year,"' he said. "So, of course I went to fullback. I was a kid wanting to play football. That's all I wanted to do. I made the move and, unfortunately, I did too good a job."

Askew references his college production for those who question if he could handle making the switch from fullback to halfback in the NFL. He finished his Michigan career with 1,580 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns, and had 83 receptions for 777 yards and six scores.

"This is something that everybody who knows me knows is something I want to do," Askew said. "In the end, you've got to be happy. I can't imagine the depression I would feel if I went on and still played fullback and never got the chance to go to halfback. Then I'd be 40 or 50 wondering if I could've done it. I figure, 'Hey, I'm a free agent. This is the perfect opportunity to change things."'

All Pro
    He ran a 4.60 at the combine. FWIW
    Actually it's a Michigan Pro Day in 2003. Either way...
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 03-01-2007 at 12:44 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Good luck to him. He ain't going to be carrying the rock for us.

All Pro
    Not sure he has it in him. I do give him credit for never complaining.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater
    Yeah, and he's all the speed we need.

Askew mentions in the article that he made aloud his desires to play HB to our coaching staff - I have confidence in our guys that if he really was a diamond in the rough that he'd have gotten some more carries during the season, especially during the Houston/Barlow droughts we suffered as it went on.

Banned
    You gotta admit he's pretty determined... just the way he's talking .. I'm rooting for him!

And really he's allways been a pretty reliable reciever.. I dont' remember him droping many passes... and if he can actualy run a 4.3?.. wow.. even 4.4 for a 230 guy is nice!

I'd hate it if we let him go and he turns out to be a beast... but I'd have to trust our coaching staff and hope they evaluated him correctly...

Moderator VIP Visionary
    It's like the Riddle of the Sphinx. BJ Askew and his talent and his results...something doesn't add up. Very puzzling.

Maybe Barlow's entrance last year put ol' BJ on the backburner. But nothing from Tangini on "BJ has a shot this year", which is telling. I did like him running over that already-defeated Raiders team in 2005.

All Pro
    Aside from the MC Hammer haircut BJ Askew was a complete waste of a high draft pick, a 3rd round pick for christs' sake. He's the definition of a tweener, not a good bruising FB and too slow and not enough moves for a HB. Good riddance and I hope someone gives him a chance but he's never going to be a feature back in the league . . . Never (that's a captial N).

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322
    THANK YOU! I knew we had someone else but i couldnt remember who and it was really bothering me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Hodgins bigger, much more of a blocking fullback, no?
    and Tutt is still in the mix... he is very versitile and athletic being as he was a former college QB...