Thread: Now, I don't propose they do something for the sake of DOING SOMETHING......

All League

Now, I don't propose they do something for the sake of DOING SOMETHING......

But, C'mon ALREADY!!

Look, the Jets were a LUCKY 10-6 last year and were able to to compete for a playoff spot while masking a BUNCH of holes with duct tape, spit, and bailing wire...and some good coaching for a change.

That being said, you can't stand pat (no pun intended) and stay the same, nor can you stubbornly ignore 50% of your ability to bring in new talent. Right now, the Jets are seeing players they could sorely use possibly or certainly go to division rivals (Porter and Thomas). or get signed without even a phone call from the Jets.

No, the Jets are NOT "a player away", but if you have a need and the opportunity arises to get a guy who knows the system, has a good track record, and could be immediately productive, you at least have a cup 'o coffee with them to see what it may take.

The point is, a front office must remain flexible in its plan to better the team, and bottom line, the front offices job is to procure TALENT to that end.

No, the Jets shouldn't go "Danny Snyder" on the market, but when there are semmingly perfect fits for what the Jets need....why let those guys go to Division rivals without even a peep?

As far as Tannenbaum and Mangini SAYING they probably won't be big players in free agency with 20+ MILLION in cap space (with the cap probably going up even MORE next season), and then actully NOT being players in Free agency, thats being stupid-honest, a trait of the Edwards regime.

The Jets have deficiencies....big ones. The Jets have Money....LOTS. There is some talent, the type the Jets need, on the free agency market (some gone already). DOn't just doe something for the sake of DOING SOMETHING, but for crissakes, at least make the effort to see if any of those guys would be good fits and feasable to bring in.

Finally, to address two FALLACIES being bandied about recently:

A. "Teams OVERSPEND the first two days of free agency". BULLSPIT! Its the BEST PLAYERS all getting signed early (A. Thomas, Nate Clement etc), and they are simply being paid what the market demands. You can't low ball talent anymore, guys are too aware of their worth and agents get MARKET VALUE. Is it expensive? Yeah, but $$$$ is the difference between getting an impact player or a "JAG".

B. "These guys are on the wrong side of 30".. CRAPOLA!! Yeah, Porter is around 30, but he is a BADDASS, a Leader and has not had much (if any) decline in production. How would the Jets D be with a true BADDASS Vocal Leader and recent SB winner be? How about A. Thomas? What is he, 29? 30? Guy can still rush the passer, cover and be a terror. Nate Clement? Old?
    Nope.

Whatever, the Jets have put themselves in a position with a 10-6 year that they pretty much have to compete this year. SB? No, probably not, but the addition of a key FA to augment the team AND some mid-range type talent to solidify the core along with a good draft would go a long way to being competitive this year and into the future.

Veteran
    This is a team being built for the future, not overloaded until the wheels fall off in two years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The concept I keep seeing over and over and over here on JI is that:

"The Jets cannot let Player X go to Division Rival Y without at least making a phone call, i.e. trying to get that player themselves"

And I can say is this......what if the Jets (Tanni-Mangini) simply do not WANT player X at the price the market has set? What if they don't want him at all, for whatever reason they (on the inside) see fit to think?

Is it possible that the Jets simply didn't want Adalius Thomas for his likley pricetag? And if so, is that good enough?

Worse, should we be critical that the Jets didn't try to land players we want (but they didn't) oe at least try to drive up the price (Which could result in either us signing a plyer we didn;t want for more than we wanted, or withdrawing a deal in shame and giving our FO a bad rep to player agents).

Trust me, I am as anxious as any of you to hear we did SOMETHING to make this team better (sign a QB maybe? Lol, just kidding...maybe). But really, we simply HAVE to let Mangini and Co. do what they think is best, and see how it turns out. That have earned that right by fooling almost all of us in 2006, and making the team we all just KNEW was a 4 win or 5 win team, and making it a 10 win team, weak opponents and luck nonwithstanding.

I was a douber from day 1 on Mangini and he shut me up. So till he fields a stinker doing it "his way", I think he and Tanny deserve the benifit of the doubt. Nothing more, nothing less. A little fan trust that they know what they are doing, and will do everything possible to give us fans a winner.

Till they prove that idea wrong.

All League

O....k....

Quote Originally Posted by CUJet
    This is a team being built for the future, not overloaded until the wheels fall off in two years.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Signing a BADASS prototype 3-4 end with the ability to be verstile for the supposed 3-4 multi-front D we allegedly run OR maybe a shutdown corner will really have the "wheels falling off in 2 years".

That whole Pick up a key free agent or 2 to round out the roster theory really blew up in the Pats and Colts faces the past few years...

Face it, the Jets are at a SERIOUS Talent Deficiency when compared to the upper tier of the AFC, and if its not improved, Mangini will be able to prove he can coach inferior talent to overachieve to a Playoff berth but no Championships. The rich get richer, the bottom feeders improve to mediocre, and the Jets....Stay the same. Almost, but not quite good enough since 1997....new names, same results.

This ain't 1975. The future is NOW in the NFL

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1
    Yeah, Porter is around 30, but he is a BADDASS,
    Compelling reasoning.

Nate Clement? Old?
    Nope.
    Not old, just the most expensive defensive FA in the history of the NFL.

You can't deny that your argument is severly weakened by the fact that all this whining is aimed at getting one player - Joey Porter. If the Jets sign him, all this crap goes away. Considering the fact that Porter would not improve the team THAT much, it proves your argument to be a bunch of hogwash.

Veteran
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Signing a BADASS prototype 3-4 end with the ability to be verstile for the supposed 3-4 multi-front D we allegedly run OR maybe a shutdown corner will really have the "wheels falling off in 2 years".
    Over paying for the flavor of the day badass who's looking down the hill will cause the wheels to fall off.

rollz i's