Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Patriots have put the rest of the NFL on notice!

JetsInsider.com Legend

The Patriots have put the rest of the NFL on notice!

Signing Adalius Thomas, trading multiple picks for Wes Welker, showing interest in both Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth? The Patriots are not trying to maintain continuity here. This isn't Patriot business as usual. Something is different this year. They are making a concerted, no-holds-barred effort to get one more championship in the immediate future while the key pieces (Pioli, Belichick, Brady, Seymour, Samuel, etc.) are still in place.

This is a team that was one drive away from a SB this past year, possibly one 3rd down conversion away in fact. They are abandoning the old strategy of pursuing value, building through the draft and keeping an eye towards the future. Whether this is because Belly/Pioli know that their time remaining with the Pats is short, or for some other reason that we don't know about, one thing is for sure - The Pats have put the NFL on notice that they mean business and are in a "win now at all costs" mode.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good.
    That strategy often blows up in a teams face...

I think that Little Bill is loading up for one last run. I have read several times that he has contemplated retiring after this upcoming season. Maybe those rumors are true. Maybe this is his last Hura.

Veteran
    Is Dan Snyder running things up there?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Signing Adalius Thomas, trading multiple picks for Wes Welker, showing interest in both Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth? The Patriots are not trying to maintain continuity here. This isn't Patriot business as usual. Something is different this year. They are making a concerted, no-holds-barred effort to get one more championship in the immediate future while the key pieces (Pioli, Belichick, Brady, Seymour, Samuel, etc.) are still in place.

This is a team that was one drive away from a SB this past year, possibly one 3rd down conversion away in fact. They are abandoning the old strategy of pursuing value, building through the draft and keeping an eye towards the future. Whether this is because Belly/Pioli know that their time remaining with the Pats is short, or for some other reason that we don't know about, one thing is for sure - The Pats have put the NFL on notice that they mean business and are in a "win now at all costs" mode.
    No offense, but this is an idiotic post. Nothing's changed....they've always paid for value and talent, where do you see an overpayment in any of the moves they've made? (especially in lieu of Welker only getting 5 years and 18 mil vs the 37 originially talked about)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe
    I think that Little Bill is loading up for one last run. I have read several times that he has contemplated retiring after this upcoming season. Maybe those rumors are true. Maybe this is his last Hura.
    I think it's Kraft realizing that he's got maybe 3 years left in Brady and Belichick and being determined to win another ring before it's back to the dark ages.

I mean, if he just didn't trade Branch last year they'd have won it all. When Brady needed someone to step up and make some clutch catches in Indy, no one was there.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend

I have to disagree...

Thomas. They desparately needed a proven LB. Look who was on the field in the AFC championship game.

Brady. A blocking tight end to replace Graham.

Welker. Replace Troy Brown.

As far as Moss or Stallworth...can anyone deny the Pats need in that area? This was a team with alot more holes then people think. The moves are just an attempt to fill them. They just happen to come early in free agency.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gmogmo
    No offense, but this is an idiotic post. Nothing's changed....they've always paid for value and talent, where do you see an overpayment in any of the moves they've made? (especially in lieu of Welker only getting 5 years and 18 mil vs the 37 originially talked about)
    Always paid, but never overpaid for mediocre talent.

You cannot honestly believe that Wes Welker is worth trading multiple picks for, can you? Hell, he's even still overpaid at 18 million. Jerricho Cotchery got just 2 million more then that and he proved a hell of a lot more last season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by gmogmo

Offense taken.

Overpayment is not just $$$. The Pats gave up a 2nd and 7th rounder for Wes Welker, they are pursuing "non-character" guys like Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth (who is currently in a substance abuse program). The Pats who usually wait a few days into FA to find value signed the top defensive free agent (in my opinion) right out of the gates. My point is that something is different up there right now. In the past the Patriots would rely on "the system" and a guy like Deion Branch was expendable. Now guys like Wes Welker are being acquired for drammatically more than the Jets got Thomas Jones for. Again, it's not just money....I wouldn't say the Pats are mortgaging the future but they certainly aren't planning for it!

It is their last hura. That's why it's gonna' be so sweet to watch it implode completely! It's not like the Patsies to reach so badly like they're doing. This is a complete 180 degree turm in their personality and they'd better hope it works. Otherwise, no one can save them... This is gonna' be fun because we all know how the football bounces and that's in strange ways that you don't expect. Something crazy is gonna' happen to that team. Some kind of injury or something will derail the hell out of everything.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    I think it's Kraft realizing that he's got maybe 3 years left in Brady and Belichick and being determined to win another ring before it's back to the dark ages.

I mean, if he just didn't trade Branch last year they'd have won it all. When Brady needed someone to step up and make some clutch catches in Indy, no one was there.

SAR I

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I

SAR I
    i remember feeling giddy when I read this yesterday.

Still Giddy.

Veteran
    This just in Patriots coach Bill Belichick has scheduled a press conference in order to "put the NFL on notice"

"I just wanted to put you guys on notice and tell you all that we're gay and we're proud!"

Well the head coach certainly has put us all on notice.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB
    It is their last hura.
    hura?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Always paid, but never overpaid for mediocre talent.

You cannot honestly believe that Wes Welker is worth trading multiple picks for, can you? Hell, he's even still overpaid at 18 million. Jerricho Cotchery got just 2 million more then that and he proved a hell of a lot more last season.
    So they gave up another pick at the leagues insistance...close to the last pick in the draft. That's a killer all right.

The 2nd round pick? I can live with it. How likely is it that the player selected then will A) contribute immediately, and B), ever contribute at all? With Welker there's absolutely no doubt he will step on the field from the git-go and replace Troy Brown.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    I have to disagree...

Thomas. They desparately needed a proven LB. Look who was on the field in the AFC championship game.

As far as Moss or Stallworth...can anyone deny the Pats need in that area? This was a team with alot more holes then people think. The moves are just an attempt to fill them. They just happen to come early in free agency.
    Ahhh. The rare, somewhat realistic Pats fan.

All League
    I have to disagree...

Don't worry, FF. These are jet fans after all. Next week, they'll be calling the Pats cheap again because they're still 17M under the cap "those cheap bastids!"

Moderator VIP Visionary
    hura?
    Sounds like Equadorian legal tender.

"Thomas cost us our last hura."

Ok, that sucked. You got one, Foxy?

Veteran
    Offense taken.

Overpayment is not just $$$. The Pats gave up a 2nd and 7th rounder for Wes Welker, they are pursuing "non-character" guys like Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth (who is currently in a substance abuse program). The Pats who usually wait a few days into FA to find value signed the top defensive free agent (in my opinion) right out of the gates. My point is that something is different up there right now. In the past the Patriots would rely on "the system" and a guy like Deion Branch was expendable. Now guys like Wes Welker are being acquired for drammatically more than the Jets got Thomas Jones for. Again, it's not just money....I wouldn't say the Pats are mortgaging the future but they certainly aren't planning for it!
    Great Post. Agree with everything you said. What the Pats gave up for Welker makes what we gave up for Jones all that much sweeter!

All Pro
    Yep looks like the Patriots are spending their cap money. They are signing players to fill holes on the team. And they are trying to win the Super bowl.

I think thats why Kraft pays them