Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Jones stack up?

Rookie

Where does Jones stack up?

I have not seen as much of Thomas Jones as I would have liked. Where does he rank among starting NFL RB's? Who has a similar running style?

Hall Of Fame
    Very ripped and powerful for someone of his size, average at best speed.

I'd rank him in the Top half of RB's based on what he did the past 2 years but certaintly not Top 5 or anything like that. Could be flirting with Top 10.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jrochwa
    I have not seen as much of Thomas Jones as I would have liked. Where does he rank among starting NFL RB's? Who has a similar running style?
    Jones averaged 1300 yards last 2 years and shared the position with Benson. Full time he would have had over 1500 easy. Runs North-South, no dancing around. Very strong and can break shoulder tackles. Is a warrior and fight for ever inch which is why he has a lot of 10-15 yard runs. Not fast but is a load to take down in the open field. Blocks well and picks up the blitz. Fine pass receiver and will take out a DB when they try to tackle him. Team guy. Think of Ahmed Green 2 years ago and that's Thomas Jones

All Pro
    Jones is primarily a north-south runner, but he has some elusiveness. His most distniguishing characteristic as a runner is how hard he hits the hole. He runs with abandon.

He's easily in the top 1/3rd of starting tailbacks in the league. You can make an argument that he's the best back in the AFC East right now, although many would take Maroney or McGahee based on age.

All Pro
    It's been a long time since I wasn't scared of 3rd and 2 situations. For years, our best option was the dump to Chrebet or a handoff to Jumbo Elliot (or a yard-and-a-half sneak by Vinny combined with a friendly ref). It'll be nice to have a RB who you can count on to blast through on short yardage downs.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola
    Jones is primarily a north-south runner, but he has some elusiveness. His most distniguishing characteristic as a runner is how hard he hits the hole. He runs with abandon.

He's easily in the top 1/3rd of starting tailbacks in the league. You can make an argument that he's the best back in the AFC East right now, although many would take Maroney or McGahee based on age.
    Or Ronnie Brown but other than those 3 he's the best in the AFC East, unless Leon turns out to be better than him.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd put him around 12 or 13. Power runner. Hits the line hard. If our ol can open a hole for him you'll be amazed how quickly he's through it.

Hall Of Fame
    Does he have break away speed? What I mean by that is he finds himself out in the open will he be able to outrun the pursuit? Or is he like Curtis Martin, in that he gets out in the open all the time, but he never is going to outrun the backside pursuit?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    Does he have break away speed? What I mean by that is he finds himself out in the open will he be able to outrun the pursuit? Or is he like Curtis Martin, in that he gets out in the open all the time, but he never is going to outrun the backside pursuit?
    the majority of the time he will not be able to outrun defenders

Hall Of Fame
    He has a real burst at the line, but he won't outrun a lot of defenders.

All League
    Thomas Jones is a patient runner. He hits the hole hard and fast, plus he reads the field EXTREMELY well and waits for his blocks to develop...he is not a speed guy (that's why he is such a good compliment to Leon). However, what you might not see in his stats, as good as they are, is how good of a blocker he is. This guy is on par with Curtis in that dept. He can straight up block. He can also receive, maintains a high character and is a leader, both on the field and in the locker room. Everybody is trying to find out why this is a bad deal BUT ITS NOT. It is a win-win for everyone.

Chicago got value for a guy they would have loved to keep, but couldn't, and the NYJ get a premier back for 26 spots in the 2nd round. If you understand the draft you would know, that in reality, there is not much of a difference b/t players 25-100. So in reality, we got TJones for almost nothing. Chicago now gets a shot at two player who may grade out in the 1st round but slip into the early 2nd for whatever reason. And most important of all, TJones is happy with a new contract, a team & organization that wants him, and fans waiting to embrace him. Can't wait.

All Pro
    He is not just a North and SOuth runner. THis guy has a second gear to make it around the corner that we seemed to lack last year. It could also be that we weren't very good at sealing the ends either on the OL

All Pro
    Big upgrade at this position with TJ. N/S runner with power. Good speed in the thru the hole.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola

He's better than McGahee right now. McGahee seems to have lost the burst that he had a Miami, but does not have the same degree of power as Thomas Jones, although he still is a strong runner. Maroney has shown sparks, and he has youth so obviously he'd be the choice here, but lets see him with a whole 16 game workload. Thomas Jones has Leon Washington to work with who I see as a perfect complement. The Pats have Kevin Faulk, who doesn't impress me much as a 2/3 and the guy they signed from the Phins. As a whole the jets have the best tandem in the east but the Pats have the best RB.

All Pro
    My impression is no. His long last year was 30 yds, I think. But you can't have everything. We'll leave that to Leon.

Hall Of Fame
    The thing I like best about Thomas Jones on the field (because off the field I LOVE his character & work ethic) is this:

He will average over 4 yards per carry; but he'll do it by consistently getting somewhere between 2 and 8 yards per run.

He is not the kind of guy that will average 4 yards per carry with runs of; 1, 1, 0, 2, 28, 2, 1, 3, -2 yds. That is inconsistency with the occasional burst.

Jones consistently grinds out tough yards and moves the chains in the process.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    My impression is no. His long last year was 30 yds, I think. But you can't have everything. We'll leave that to Leon.
    He ran one for 50 in the superbowl.

Hall Of Fame
    hits the hole hard , but his longest run is like 60 yards, so I can't say break away speed. Good, tough, hard runner.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Someone else said patient which is a great description. He waits for a hole then he's through. All this without dancing around. No breakaway speed and he will be caught from behind, but he makes tacklers pay with a shoulder or stiff arm. I have seen every game he's played for the Bears and you will love this guy. He'll be your best player by the end of the year

Hall Of Fame
    from the daily news

"The Jets have a good combination," one GM said last night. "Thomas is much better as a combination back. He runs so hard, he's going to get beat up. He doesn't shy away from contact. He's got good hands, good vision. You can do everything you need to do in an offense with him. That's a good move for the Jets. I like Thomas Jones."