Thread: OT: ESPN: The List: Five Suggested Rule Changes

All Pro

OT: ESPN: The List: Five Suggested Rule Changes

ESPN: The List: Five Suggested Rule Changes
    The List: Cap break for veterans?

By Eric Allen
    ESPN.com
    Archive

The NFL is constantly tweaking its rules and with that in mind, here are five rule changes -- both on and off the field -- I'd like to see:

1. I'd like to see the salary cap tweaked so that veterans -- especially guys who have played with one team for a long time -- are taken better care of. It would be great if there was some special cap relief where a player could be paid over the cap amount after a certain length of service with one team.

2. A better health care and disability program must be instituted. We're seeing what players are going through after their careers are over and it's silly to assume that they are able to afford the myriad doctor's bills that are essentially the result of their careers.

3. Relaxed defensive pass interference penalties. It's time that the league thinks about changing the way it calls pass interference on the defense. Instead of having it be a spot of the foul call and an automatic first down, I'd like to see the NFL institute 15-yard and five-yard penalties for pass interference. Similar to how facemask penalties are called, there should be an option for a five-yard penalty with no first down in addition to the 15-yard penalty.

4. The NFL and NFLPA have to come up with a solution to help stem the concussion situation. Maybe it's time for a new helmet.

5. Players should return to picking the Pro Bowl participants. Too often, undeserving players are given the honor because they make enough noise to garner attention instead of producing on the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ric&id=2788420

I Ddefinetly agree with #5

Hall Of Fame
    #4 is very very important.

the technology is out there.

there is no excuse to still be wearing leather beanies on their heads.

Veteran
    How about the QB's wear flags so there are no more insane roughing the passer calls.

Banned
    the pass interference call is a tough argument.....

what if the PI breaks up a sure touchdown? or a 50 yard pass play?

they would be interfering on purpose..........

Banned
    1. There already are such cap mechanisms.
    2. The AVERAGE NFL salary is now over 2 million. Save some of your damn money. Or better yet, when you're done playing, get a friggin job. Why is the expectation that we should all work until we're seventy but a pro athlete should never lift a finger after they're thirty?
    3. Yes, let's give refs who have a hard enough time calling the game even more judgement lee-way.
    4. No helmet is going to stop concussions. These guys make their living by hurling themselves at other guys at top speed. The league should make it as safe as possible but there is only so much that they can do. The players choose to take these risks in order to make lots of money. Maybe they should spend some time looking into this themselves instead of expecting the league to do it for them.
    5. Players are just as bad at playing favorites if not worse.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon

The regular spot penalty would have to remain an option. I think that if the change were to take place, the options would be spot foul automatic first down, and 5 yard no automatic first down.

Hall Of Fame
    The NFL is constantly tweaking its rules and with that in mind, here are five rule changes -- both on and off the field -- I'd like to see:

1. I'd like to see the salary cap tweaked so that veterans -- especially guys who have played with one team for a long time -- are taken better care of. It would be great if there was some special cap relief where a player could be paid over the cap amount after a certain length of service with one team.
    THE LARRY BIRD RULE FOR THE NFL ? NAH, I LIKE PLAYERS MOVING AROUND, KEEPS EVERY TEAM IN THE RACE

2. A better health care and disability program must be instituted. We're seeing what players are going through after their careers are over and it's silly to assume that they are able to afford the myriad doctor's bills that are essentially the result of their careers. YES 100%. ITS A DISGRACE WHAT FORMER PLAYERS GO THROUGH

3. Relaxed defensive pass interference penalties. It's time that the league thinks about changing the way it calls pass interference on the defense. Instead of having it be a spot of the foul call and an automatic first down, I'd like to see the NFL institute 15-yard and five-yard penalties for pass interference. Similar to how facemask penalties are called, there should be an option for a five-yard penalty with no first down in addition to the 15-yard penalty. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. SO IF A 50 YARD PASS LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE COMPLETE, THE DB TACKLES THE WR BEFORE THE BALL GETS THERE AND TAKES THE 15 YARD PENALTY. HORRIBLE IDEA

4. The NFL and NFLPA have to come up with a solution to help stem the concussion situation. Maybe it's time for a new helmet. I DON'T KNOW HOW A HELMET STOPS THE LIQUID IN YOUR BRAIN FROM MOVING. ITS INSIDE YOUR HEAD !! I'M UP FOR ANYTHING THEY CAN DO, BUT THE PLAYERS ARE JUST SO FAST AND STRONG, ITS JUST ABOUT INEVITABLE NOW

5. Players should return to picking the Pro Bowl participants. Too often, undeserving players are given the honor because they make enough noise to garner attention instead of producing on the field. YES, PLAYERS AND COACHES

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon

i agree - maybe O gets the ball on the spot of the foul only, unless the ref rules he would have been able to catch & run, then give him the spot + yards - and no automatic first down, only give them th efirst if they're beyond the marker at the spot or after yards for interference with a catch and run.

or, just leave it. sounds too complex already.

All League
    Regarding the posters who talk about concussions: There are specific helmets made which dramatically lower the chance of getting a concusion...whether the majority of NFL players wear them or not, I'm not sure.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89
    Regarding the posters who talk about concussions: There are specific helmets made which dramatically lower the chance of getting a concusion...whether the majority of NFL players wear them or not, I'm not sure.
    i'm pretty sure they don't, because of a $contract$ with riddell, who doesn't make that helmet.

All League
    This was introduced in 2002, the Riddell RevolutionT...in a study of HS players over 3 years it reduced the chance of concussion by 31%...not sure how that would carry over to the NFL though.

http://www.riddell.com/RevFacts.htm

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Here are my rule changes.

Start each half with a jump ball, just like in basketball.

No down-by-contact: the ball carrier is only "down" after he's held down and made to scream "UNCLE" by any means necessary

Holding penalties are settled by the guy that was held getting a free kick to the groin of the guy doing the holding

Settle ties with a 5-minute kill-the-guy-with-the-ball contest. Whoever has it when the clock runs out wins.

Anyone know the email for the NFL rules committee?

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318
    Settle ties with a 5-minute kill-the-guy-with-the-ball contest. Whoever has it when the clock runs out wins.
    how very PC of you...

All League
    The two things I think are ruining football the most are the ridiculous roughing the passer calls, and the automatic first down on illegal contact.

Veteran
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No. Fifteen yards is blatant, 5 yards is not, in a facemask call. Pass interference are judgement calls, and if it is blatant PI, it should be at the spot of the foul.
    4. Yes.
    5. Indifferent and I'm not alone. It's an all-star game.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise

THE LARRY BIRD RULE FOR THE NFL ? NAH, I LIKE PLAYERS MOVING AROUND, KEEPS EVERY TEAM IN THE RACE

2. A better health care and disability program must be instituted. We're seeing what players are going through after their careers are over and it's silly to assume that they are able to afford the myriad doctor's bills that are essentially the result of their careers. YES 100%. ITS A DISGRACE WHAT FORMER PLAYERS GO THROUGH

3. Relaxed defensive pass interference penalties. It's time that the league thinks about changing the way it calls pass interference on the defense. Instead of having it be a spot of the foul call and an automatic first down, I'd like to see the NFL institute 15-yard and five-yard penalties for pass interference. Similar to how facemask penalties are called, there should be an option for a five-yard penalty with no first down in addition to the 15-yard penalty. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. SO IF A 50 YARD PASS LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE COMPLETE, THE DB TACKLES THE WR BEFORE THE BALL GETS THERE AND TAKES THE 15 YARD PENALTY. HORRIBLE IDEA

4. The NFL and NFLPA have to come up with a solution to help stem the concussion situation. Maybe it's time for a new helmet. I DON'T KNOW HOW A HELMET STOPS THE LIQUID IN YOUR BRAIN FROM MOVING. ITS INSIDE YOUR HEAD !! I'M UP FOR ANYTHING THEY CAN DO, BUT THE PLAYERS ARE JUST SO FAST AND STRONG, ITS JUST ABOUT INEVITABLE NOW

5. Players should return to picking the Pro Bowl participants. Too often, undeserving players are given the honor because they make enough noise to garner attention instead of producing on the field. YES, PLAYERS AND COACHES
    Wow..... thats all, just wow.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No. Fifteen yards is blatant, 5 yards is not, in a facemask call. Pass interference are judgement calls, and if it is blatant PI, it should be at the spot of the foul.
    4. Yes.
    5. Indifferent and I'm not alone. It's an all-star game.

I agree and,
    6. GET RID OF THE BLOODY POISON PILL WHICH CAN BE USED IN RFA CONTRACTS