Thread: THE SPORTS HOOKUP: Let the Old Guys Play, Too!

All League

THE SPORTS HOOKUP: Let the Old Guys Play, Too!

http://thesportshookup.blogspot.com/...-play-too.html

The Sports Hookup examines a fantastic, almost utopian scenario in which a senior league is created for the NFL, much like the situation in the game of golf, which has the PGA Tour and the Champions Tour (formerly known as the Senior PGA Tour). Follow the link above to read the dream of The Sports Hookup. Comments are welcome.

All League
    Let the Old Guys Play, Too!

As many sports fans know, golf’s primary league is the PGA Tour, which is intended for the top players in the world. However, the sport also has the Senior PGA Tour (now known as the Champions Tour), which serves as a haven for those golfers getting a bit long in the tooth, losing some distance on their drives, and adding some strokes to their score totals. This situation got The Sports Hookup thinking: Why don’t other major American sports have leagues for players who have lost a step or three and cannot cut it in the primary league anymore? Why doesn’t the National Football League have playing opportunities in the new millennium for the retired stars of the 1980’s and 1990’s?

Picture this: Dan Marino lines up under center with Barry Sanders in the backfield, as Joe Klecko and Bruce Smith wait for their opportunity to do battle against Anthony Munoz and Tony Boselli in the trenches. Moments after Sanders takes the handoff, he is wrapped up by Mike Singletary, who sniffs the play out from his middle linebacker position.

In the Senior NFL, games would be played on the even-numbered weeks of the NFL season (Weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.), with each team having one three-week layoff and playing a total of seven regular season games. The 16-team league would feature the top two teams in both eight-team conferences making the playoffs and attempting to reach the Senior Bowl, to be played the Saturday before the Super Bowl.

An age-restriction would be enacted, preventing those former athletes over the age of 60 from participating in the league. Anyone above that threshold is likely too fragile to sustain the physicality of the league, even though it is much less severe than that which takes place in the NFL. In rare occasions, however, exceptions could be made for athletes who pass a rigorous physical examination and are deemed physically fit to continue play in the SNFL. The Sports Hookup speaks for all Jets fans when we say that we would get a kick out of seeing Joe Willie Namath tossing the rock around in a competitive environment.

You may be thinking, “Who wants to watch a bunch of old guys play football?” Please do not attempt to point out flaws in our thinking. This is a fantasy, a tantalizing thought of what could be, but what will likely never come to fruition. So please, just let us keep dreaming this dream. -CM
    posted by The Sports Hookup at 6:29 PM
    I think it'd be quite entertaining to see the old guys go at it. Of course most of them are out of shape and have joint problems, but that would make for some good entertainment, IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    I got a comment - why are you wasting your time blogging when our fantasy baseball rosters still aren't up? Get cracking, commish!

I was expecting to see the words "flag football" in there somewhere, btw

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    I got a comment - why are you wasting your time blogging when our fantasy baseball rosters still aren't up? Get cracking, commish!

I was expecting to see the words "flag football" in there somewhere, btw
    Haha. No worries, they're going up tonight. And by the way, Joe Willie don't play no flag football.

Veteran
    Worst idea ever.

The only reason there is PGA tour for old codgers is because it takes very little physical strain to swing a club, having old men hit each other and run around though is just asking injuries/on field heart attacks.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Blitz
    Worst idea ever. ~ having old men hit each other and run around though is just asking injuries/on field heart attacks.
    "...adding to the enjoyment, I might add!"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    especially if they spontaneously combust.

It would be like watching a Nascar ride go up in flames

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    Exactly! That's the genius of it all.

All League
    Bump! Check it out, guys.

EDIT: I got linked to Deadspin.com today! I've had 800 visitors so far today.
    Last edited by Mr. Yankee; 03-08-2007 at 06:10 PM.

All Pro
    Next we'll have "America's Top Model - Seniors Edition". Maybe we should file this under the GILF thread.