Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Any Jet Fans Happy With Our Off Season So Far?

  1. #1

    Any Jet Fans Happy With Our Off Season So Far?

    We came into this off season with a ton of needs. Our D-line and O-Line needed to be upgraded. We needed another quality corner back and a feature running back. So what have we done so far, we got a 29 year old running back (ancient by RB standards) and it cost us great draft position. Are there any Jet fans that are happy with this? Like most Jet fans, I came into this off season hoping that we'd use some of our 20 million dollars in cap room on one of these guys - A. Thomas, N. Clements, Steinbeck, C. Dielman or L. Davis. I would've settled for one of these guys - J. Porter, R. Hood or M. Columbo. I'm not a happy camper right now. And if anyone thinks that T. Jones is going to turn the Jets rushing game around - think again. You need running lanes to be a good running back.
    As far as I'm concerned, this off season has been a disaster so far (especially with the additions the Patriots and Dolphins have made) and the draft can't come soon enough.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    6,180
    two problems

    1 . we didnt have 20 million + thanks to chad incentives and cotchery's new deal.we started at 15 mill or something like that.

    2. outside of columbo and maybe hood. did you see the deals those guys on that list got. insane.

  3. #3
    yeah, you are thinking in the box. the new regime is thinking outside the box. i like all the moves made so far. and i trust the decisions being made. if you want big bucks to fly around in the first week of free agency then you should become a skins fan. and thomas jones is not slowing down yet. maybe in a few years but right now he has alot left in the tank and immediately upgrades our back field ten fold. we made a great trade there without giving up too much. mind you i try to be optimistic about the moves the jets make. there are enough buzz kills on here already.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro22
    two problems

    1 . we didnt have 20 million + thanks to chad incentives and cotchery's new deal.we started at 15 mill or something like that.

    2. outside of columbo and maybe hood. did you see the deals those guys on that list got. insane.
    What? Should we have not given Cotch a new contract?

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    What? Should we have not given Cotch a new contract?
    You extended a contract to a player that, so far, has been a "one-hit wonder".

    Does the PennyBoy $64 million contract ring a bell?

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    You extended a contract to a player that, so far, has been a "one-hit wonder".

    Does the PennyBoy $64 million contract ring a bell?
    Thats not what im saying. He said thanks to Cotch's deal. Like he is mad.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Thats not what im saying. He said thanks to Cotch's deal. Like he is mad.
    The Cotchery deal was a good move to lock him up relatively cheap.

    The only question was the timing.

    The Jets could have waited another year to see if he produces like he did last year.

    But all in all, it was probably a good move to lock him up

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    The Cotchery deal was a good move to lock him up relatively cheap.

    The only question was the timing.

    The Jets could have waited another year to see if he produces like he did last year.

    But all in all, it was probably a good move to lock him up
    I mean, I dont think you cna get worse. He looks like a stud.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I mean, I dont think you cna get worse. He looks like a stud.
    So did PennyBoy after the 2001 season.

    How has that turned out?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    You extended a contract to a player that, so far, has been a "one-hit wonder".

    Does the PennyBoy $64 million contract ring a bell?

    dude the guy is a young receiver in the league........and he has alot of obvious talent......

    you have to try and keep your good young players.....

    he didn't cost us a ton of money and his prognosis looks good

    there is no way you can look at that transaction as a bad move.......

    can he go on to be a disappointment? sure......but you can't go through lif ein the nfl letting every young player who looks to have the talent but is still a bit unproven go.........you'd wind up having to sign a bunch of veterans who may or may not be in decline and will cost a whole lot more money..... and bank on your draft picks year in and year out to be immediate contributors

    pennington's situation wasn't the same as cotch's at all

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,192
    I so ****ing excited I can't sleep at night. We signed a beast, a batting ram, a monster, a road grader, the king of all blocking FBs. The SB is such a guarantee that I'm buying my tickets as soon as they go on sale.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,412
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    So did PennyBoy after the 2001 season.

    How has that turned out?
    Yes, because he meant to get injured.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    dude the guy is a young receiver in the league........and he has alot of obvious talent......

    you have to try and keep your good young players.....

    he didn't cost us a ton of money and his prognosis looks good

    there is no way you can look at that transaction as a bad move.......

    can he go on to be a disappointment? sure......but you can't go through lif ein the nfl letting every young player who looks to have the talent but is still a bit unproven go.........you'd wind up having to sign a bunch of veterans who may or may not be in decline and will cost a whole lot more money..... and bank on your draft picks year in and year out to be immediate contributors

    pennington's situation wasn't the same as cotch's at all
    Um, reread my post.

    I said it was a good move by the Jets.

    The only risk is that he will be a "one hit wonder".

    If he produces like he did last year, it will be a great move by the Jets FO.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro22
    2. outside of columbo and maybe hood. did you see the deals those guys on that list got. insane.
    What's the old saying? "You have to spend money to make money". The same holds true for winning football games. Look, I'm all for spending wisely. But there comes a time when you have to take a chance on top notch talent like New England did, and open up your wallet.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    989
    IMO we have had a very good off-season thus far.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    0
    The FA market wasnt that hot this year. 2 or 3 really good players and a couple of mid-grades. I like what we did for not doing anything.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27
    We came into this off season with a ton of needs. Our D-line and O-Line needed to be upgraded. We needed another quality corner back and a feature running back. So what have we done so far, we got a 29 year old running back (ancient by RB standards) and it cost us great draft position. Are there any Jet fans that are happy with this? Like most Jet fans, I came into this off season hoping that we'd use some of our 20 million dollars in cap room on one of these guys - A. Thomas, N. Clements, Steinbeck, C. Dielman or L. Davis. I would've settled for one of these guys - J. Porter, R. Hood or M. Columbo. I'm not a happy camper right now. And if anyone thinks that T. Jones is going to turn the Jets rushing game around - think again. You need running lanes to be a good running back.
    As far as I'm concerned, this off season has been a disaster so far (especially with the additions the Patriots and Dolphins have made) and the draft can't come soon enough.
    You want a box of Kleenex tissues????
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-11-2007 at 03:04 PM.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Um, reread my post.

    I said it was a good move by the Jets.

    The only risk is that he will be a "one hit wonder".

    If he produces like he did last year, it will be a great move by the Jets FO.

    i was writing my post while you were making your subsequent post about cotchery

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh
    mind you i try to be optimistic about the moves the jets make. there are enough buzz kills on here already.
    There's also a lot of delusional Jet fans on here too. And if you're optimistic about getting a 29 year old running back with all of our other unfulfilled needs, then G-d bless you.
    I'm assuming, at the time, you thought the Barlow for a 4th rounder trade was good deal too?

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bedford, PA
    Posts
    2,148
    im alright with it so far i guess.. at first i wasnt very happy with the jones deal.... but ill wait to see how that pans out... wait till june after all the cuts have been made, only then will we really know if we had a successful off season.... untill then its really not worth getting all worked up

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us