Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just as I predicted, the disgruntled Asanti Samuel rears his ugly head!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Smile Just as I predicted, the disgruntled Asanti Samuel rears his ugly head!!!

Hate to say I told you so but........

Patriots | Samuel will not report to team's offseason program
    Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:02:56 -0800

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel will not report to the team's offseason program without a new deal in place, according to his agent, Alonzo Shavers. Although franchise-tagged free agents are allowed to participate, most players do not in order to protect their financial interests. Samuel is scheduled to earn $7.79 million in 2007 as the team's franchise player.

All Pro
    Pretty standard for a non-signed franchise player to sit out offseason workouts. He's not the first, and he won't be the last. If he gets hurt, his big money deal goes out the window. Just protecting his own interests, which the CBA allows him to do.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-12-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Ok here is the main part of the article published in Sunday's Boston Herald:

Samuel holds out hope for right deal
    By Albert Breer/ MetroWest Daily News
    Monday, March 12, 2007 - Updated: 01:44 AM EST

With a wide smile on his face, Asante Samuel [stats] denounced the perception yesterday that he’s a disgruntled employee of the Patriots [team stats]. But the fourth-year cornerback, who is not yet under contract, has been around long enough to know how quickly things can change.

After expressing his satisfaction with the progress in negotiations, Samuel was asked if his happiness meant a holdout wasn’t in the cards. He wouldn’t go that far.

“Like I said, everything’s looking good,” he responded after briefly pausing to consider the question. “We’ll have to see what happens.”

Reached later by phone, Samuel’s agent Alonzo Shavers added: “Everything right now is good.”

Shavers did say that Samuel will not report to the team’s offseason program, scheduled to open a week from today, without a new deal in place. While franchise-tagged free agents are allowed to participate, most stay away as a measure to protect their financial interests.

“I’m not going to talk too much about (the negotiations),” Samuel said. “But they’re happy, I’m happy, so everybody else should be happy too.”

“This is my (professional) birthplace,” he said. “This is my first team and I hope I’ll never have to play for another team.”

That feeling, in part, is why Samuel didn’t feel slighted on Feb. 16 when slapped with the tag.

Yeah, he's really pissed, all right

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel will not report to the team's offseason program without a new deal in place, according to his agent, Alonzo Shavers. Although franchise-tagged free agents are allowed to participate, most players do not in order to protect their financial interests. Samuel is scheduled to earn $7.79 million in 2007 as the team's franchise player.
    He doesn't have to as he is NOT under contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    He doesn't have to as he is NOT under contract.
    True

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Its business, not personal.

no franchised player shows up without first signing his tag. And why should he sign his tag earlier than he has to?

Taking advantage of all your options, much like the Pats did, is not being disgruntled. Its shrewd.

he just better hope he doesn't get injured in any freak accident --the Pats could always pull the tag if they want.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy1999

With a wide smile on his face, Asante Samuel [stats] denounced the perception yesterday that he’s a disgruntled employee of the Patriots [team stats]. But the fourth-year cornerback, who is not yet under contract, has been around long enough to know how quickly things can change.

After expressing his satisfaction with the progress in negotiations, Samuel was asked if his happiness meant a holdout wasn’t in the cards. He wouldn’t go that far.

“Like I said, everything’s looking good,” he responded after briefly pausing to consider the question. “We’ll have to see what happens.”

Reached later by phone, Samuel’s agent Alonzo Shavers added: “Everything right now is good.”

Shavers did say that Samuel will not report to the team’s offseason program, scheduled to open a week from today, without a new deal in place. While franchise-tagged free agents are allowed to participate, most stay away as a measure to protect their financial interests.

“I’m not going to talk too much about (the negotiations),” Samuel said. “But they’re happy, I’m happy, so everybody else should be happy too.”

“This is my (professional) birthplace,” he said. “This is my first team and I hope I’ll never have to play for another team.”

That feeling, in part, is why Samuel didn’t feel slighted on Feb. 16 when slapped with the tag.

Wow, not quite what A-Rod was spinning huh?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Wow, not quite what A-Rod was spinning huh?
    Well he got to pat himself on the back for oh, a minute or so....

Veteran

Yeah the interview was on TV the other night...........sounds like a deal is in place but not finalized. He had a smile on his face when he said "Everything looks good".

All Pro
    Just as i predicted. Another Patriots thread on the Jets Message Board.

Jesus

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Its business, not personal.

no franchised player shows up without first signing his tag. And why should he sign his tag earlier than he has to?
    I'm very familiar with the rules of a franchised player and what they are and aren't required to do.

If you think everything is fine and rosey, go right ahead.

Watch what happens if he doesn't get a new deal.

Samuel, I'm sure will play the year under his 1 yr franchise tender (assuming he signs it) but he will be cancer and a huge distraction in that locker-room.

Especially when you consider all the money the Pats are have been constantly throwing around in free agency this year.

Do you think Samuel is blind?? Do you think he is not watching what is happening all around him??

I'm telling you right now, the more big contracts the Pats throw at free agents, ala Thomas, Stallworth and Welcher, the less of a chance there is Samuel will get a new deal.

The only reason Samuel is smiling right now is because he thinks he has a new deal coming this year.

The Stallworth deal might have sealed Samuel's fate to play under the one year franchise tender.

Think he'll be smiling then???
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-12-2007 at 01:26 PM.

but he will be cancer in that locker-room.
    Really, you got that after reading that article????? I mean if you were talking about Lance Brigss, I'd be right there with ya, but seriously, after reading the whole article you feel justified saying that????

All Pro
    I'm very familiar with the rules of a franchised player and what they are and aren't required to do.

Samuel, I'm sure will play the year under his 1 yr franchise tender (assuming he signs it) but he will be cancer and a huge distraction in that locker-room.

Especially when you consider all the money the Pats are have been constantly throwing around in free agency this year.
    I'm with you, ARod. This will get ugly. Count on it. With Clement setting the bar so high (taking advantage of the excess cap room this year), you can bet Samuel will not settle for a long term deal any less than Nate got. And no way the Pats are throwing those kind of dollars at him. This will be fun to watch.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Are you kidding me Arod?

Every tagged player in the NFL sits out off-season workouts.

Why is this any different.

Give me a call when Samuel is not in the starting line-up come opening day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Really, you got that after reading that article????? I mean if you were talking about Lance Brigss, I'd be right there with ya, but seriously, after reading the whole article you feel justified saying that????
    No skippy, everything I typed in the quote below tells me that, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to read between the lines.

Do you think Samuel is blind?? Do you think he is not watching what is happening all around him??

I'm telling you right now, the more big contracts the Pats throw at free agents, ala Thomas, Stallworth and Welcher, the less of a chance there is Samuel will get a new deal.

The only reason Samuel is smiling right now is because he thinks he has a new deal coming this year.

The Stallworth deal might have sealed Samuel's fate to play under the one year franchise tender.

Think he'll be smiling then???

JetsInsider.com Legend

but he will be cancer and a huge distraction in that locker-room.
    I believe you said the exact same thing when the Pats acquired Corey Dillon.

How did that turn out?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Are you kidding me Arod?

Every tagged player in the NFL sits out off-season workouts.

Why is this any different.

Give me a call when Samuel is not in the starting line-up come opening day.
    A little panicky, are we? He will be in the starting line-up. Franchised and pi$$ed off.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard
    A little panicky, are we? He will be in the starting line-up. Franchised and pi$$ed off.
    That's fine with me.

Players with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove usually perform extremely well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    I believe you said the exact same thing when the Pats acquired Corey Dillon.

How did that turn out?
    Actually I don't recall saying that about Dillon TX.

I remember being surprised at the signing but I don't recall taking that stance.

In any event one thing has absolutely ZERO to do with the other.

2 completely different situations which I'm sure you are very much aware of.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication

Ouch...