Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: NFL Countdown Updated Mock Draft

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,566

    NFL Countdown Updated Mock Draft

    1-25 Darrelle Revis CB
    2-59 Quentin Moses OLB/DE
    2-63 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE
    3-89 Brandon Mebane DT

    I like the first three picks because they fill immediate needs and add quality depth and 3 positions where trying to upgrade. I think if were not able to target a upper echelon DE in the first round then targeting one of the better CB's in this draft makes a whole lot of sense. I'm willing to bet anyone here on JI that the Jets will draft a CB on day one of the draft.

    Revis is one of the top 3 CB's available in the first round, and he has starter potential in the first year, plus he returns kicks very well, you know how Mangini likes versitality in his players.

    Moses has been falling a bit in the projections because of his timed speed, but if you put him on the edge as the LOLB in the 3-4 his athletic ability he will make lots of plays. I like the idea of him and Thomas on the outside edges. If he's still around which is very iffy, I would consider this a steal considering he was originally projected as a first round pick.

    Ikaika Alama-Francis, wow. Did anyone catch his highlights on the NFL network as the sleeper pick on the first day? Well if you didnt, let me tell you, he has the size and speed and strenghth to be a starting pro bowl DE for years to come. He's as fast as say a Abe, and as strong as the Peppers.
    The thing is he hasnt played a whole lot in Hawaii, and has limited experience.
    But I'm not saying he's a first round pick in my opinion because I'm a Jet fan, I'm saying this because of what I saw in the clips. He's a great prospect. Now prospects are always 50/50. A lot of his development will depend on his dedication to his sport and the scheme his put in. If they reached for him in the first round I would understand it considering the lack of talent at his size.
    6-5/285 is a 3-4 DE on any team in the NFL.

    I hate this pick of Mebane, he doesnt have the size or strength to play the 3-4 nor is he fast enough to play end. I would change this to my surprise pick and definate need to -> Jason Hill WR

    He has the size and hand eye coordination to become our 3rd receiver instantly. He's speed is phenomenal at 4.32 which is something were going to have to replace with a draft day trade of McCareins. I like his toughness as he should be able to step right in because he played in a fast passed run-gun system at Washington State.

    If we got those 4 players in the draft I would say everyone should be pleasntly surprised and definately happy. I will say this, I dont expect the Jets to sit pat after the first round. I think there going to trade up and get someone in the upper part of round two. And were going to need to address to OG position, which was obviously not addressed in rounds 1-3. I'm not sure if there is equal talent at that position on the second day, but I'm willing to say there isnt.
    Last edited by BrickHouse; 03-20-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: name change

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,409
    Who is Moore? Do you mean Mebane?

    I would actually consider him a very good pick in the 3rd round. He's a little lighter than you would hope for in a NT prospect, but he has good strength and a low centre of gravity which is very important for a NT. I'd be very pleased with that haul. Not sold on Moses as an OLB but, at that point in the draft, he's worth the risk IMO.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,566
    I guess we differ in what we would want in a DT. He's a little light and not strong enough to hold up at the point of attack. I'm not sure where we would place him at on the DE spot? Certainly not the NT position.

  4. #4
    Moses is a terrible choice for OLB.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,675
    I don't think Jason Hill is going to last until pick 89 after running that blistering 4.32 40'...
    I see a team like the Patriots taking him earlier than anyone expects.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse
    I hate this pick of Mebane, he doesnt have the size or strength to play the 3-4 nor is he fast enough to play end. I would change this to my surprise pick and definate need to -> Jason Hill WR
    disagree

    besides the fact that 4.3 WR don't last to round 3, Mebane is a quality run stuffer, who has been a big time prospect for a while. Could definately improve the NT rotation, in fact he's the highest rated NT on my board.

  7. #7
    I am not a big fan of Moses. I think he's been falling not just because his speed is poor but because he's looked bad for the past year. Where is that game-changing player everyone saw his junior season? I'd pass on him.

    Alama-Francis could be a great player. But how much has he recovered from his chest injury? I guess we could wait for him since we have a starting DE now. But I want to make sure he'll have a full recovery before I'd say he's worthy of a 2nd round pick.

    I really like Mebane as a potential DL. He looked great at the Senior Bowl. His low center of gravity and strength were obvious. He definitely looks like he could 2 gap. And in round 3 would be great value. I'd be all over that pick.

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,903
    Do we really have a need for Moses to become Mangini's "Willie McGinest" with BT on the roster and the extension he was just given?

    Further, does it really seem like the FO would choose a player like Moses who so heavily underperformed in his senior year?

    I say no to both.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    What bothers me is he has us picking Moses over Woodley.

    Obviously he didnt really follow what the Jets have been doing?

    They are the complete opposite of eachother (Moses/Woodley)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse
    1-25 Darrelle Revis CB
    I know the general consensus is that you could get a quality guard in the latter rounds. But to me, there's nothing more enticing, than drafting Justin Blaylock in the 1st round, in hopes of having a young, dominant offensive line in the future.
    I've always believed that the secondary is - secondary. At the very least, I'd like to see the Jets grab Harrel or another promising DT with their #1.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,566
    If I had a choice in the first round without any trades at #25 to pick a OL or a CB, at this point I would go CB. I say that because if we do it gives us a chance to trade Barrett, and I think there may be better value in the second round for a OL rather than a CB.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,192
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever
    I am not a big fan of Moses. I think he's been falling not just because his speed is poor but because he's looked bad for the past year. Where is that game-changing player everyone saw his junior season? I'd pass on him.

    Alama-Francis could be a great player. But how much has he recovered from his chest injury? I guess we could wait for him since we have a starting DE now. But I want to make sure he'll have a full recovery before I'd say he's worthy of a 2nd round pick.

    I really like Mebane as a potential DL. He looked great at the Senior Bowl. His low center of gravity and strength were obvious. He definitely looks like he could 2 gap. And in round 3 would be great value. I'd be all over that pick.
    Didn't Moses also bench something like 17 reps? He is slower, smaller and weaker then he should be IMO.

  13. #13
    17 reps is correct.

    My only problem with Mebane is that he has a certified learning disability. I wonder how this would affect his ability to pickup a complex defense like the one Sutton & Co. are running. For this reason alone, I can't see the Jets taking him. Outside of that, I agree with Bit that he is a nice prospect.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,192
    Quote Originally Posted by mario8723
    17 reps is correct.

    My only problem with Mebane is that he has a certified learning disability. I wonder how this would affect his ability to pickup a complex defense like the one Sutton & Co. are running. For this reason alone, I can't see the Jets taking him. Outside of that, I agree with Bit that he is a nice prospect.
    That didn't seem to hurt Vince Young

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mario8723
    17 reps is correct.

    My only problem with Mebane is that he has a certified learning disability. I wonder how this would affect his ability to pickup a complex defense like the one Sutton & Co. are running. For this reason alone, I can't see the Jets taking him. Outside of that, I agree with Bit that he is a nice prospect.

    Oh please. Here's what you tell a NT:

    "Line up across from the Center. When the ball is snapped smash into him. Grab anybody that comes by you on either side. Repeat until the game is over".

    I think he'll get it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    Moses is a terrible choice for OLB.
    Thanks for that insightful, cogent, well-researched and written reply.
    Could you possibly elaborate just a little bit further?

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,953
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan51
    Thanks for that insightful, cogent, well-researched and written reply.
    Could you possibly elaborate just a little bit further?
    Moses has just been blah since he exploded as a junior -- performance-wise during the year, and in his measured athleticism and performance in various post-season venues.

    He's slower than expected, weaker than expected, and perhaps not as interested in football as Mangini would like.

    He's simply plummeted from a top ten prospect to 2nd rounder or worse...

    I'd take Moses for the value in the 3rd round, but no earlier...

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse
    1-25 Darrelle Revis CB
    2-59 Quentin Moses OLB/DE
    2-63 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE
    3-89 Brandon Mebane DT

    I like the first three picks because they fill immediate needs and add quality depth and 3 positions where trying to upgrade. I think if were not able to target a upper echelon DE in the first round then targeting one of the better CB's in this draft makes a whole lot of sense. I'm willing to bet anyone here on JI that the Jets will draft a CB on day one of the draft.

    Revis is one of the top 3 CB's available in the first round, and he has starter potential in the first year, plus he returns kicks very well, you know how Mangini likes versitality in his players.

    Moses has been falling a bit in the projections because of his timed speed, but if you put him on the edge as the LOLB in the 3-4 his athletic ability he will make lots of plays. I like the idea of him and Thomas on the outside edges. If he's still around which is very iffy, I would consider this a steal considering he was originally projected as a first round pick.

    Ikaika Alama-Francis, wow. Did anyone catch his highlights on the NFL network as the sleeper pick on the first day? Well if you didnt, let me tell you, he has the size and speed and strenghth to be a starting pro bowl DE for years to come. He's as fast as say a Abe, and as strong as the Peppers.
    The thing is he hasnt played a whole lot in Hawaii, and has limited experience.
    But I'm not saying he's a first round pick in my opinion because I'm a Jet fan, I'm saying this because of what I saw in the clips. He's a great prospect. Now prospects are always 50/50. A lot of his development will depend on his dedication to his sport and the scheme his put in. If they reached for him in the first round I would understand it considering the lack of talent at his size.
    6-5/285 is a 3-4 DE on any team in the NFL.

    I hate this pick of Mebane, he doesnt have the size or strength to play the 3-4 nor is he fast enough to play end. I would change this to my surprise pick and definate need to -> Jason Hill WR

    He has the size and hand eye coordination to become our 3rd receiver instantly. He's speed is phenomenal at 4.32 which is something were going to have to replace with a draft day trade of McCareins. I like his toughness as he should be able to step right in because he played in a fast passed run-gun system at Washington State.

    If we got those 4 players in the draft I would say everyone should be pleasntly surprised and definately happy. I will say this, I dont expect the Jets to sit pat after the first round. I think there going to trade up and get someone in the upper part of round two. And were going to need to address to OG position, which was obviously not addressed in rounds 1-3. I'm not sure if there is equal talent at that position on the second day, but I'm willing to say there isnt.
    "He has the size and hand eye coordination to become our 3rd receiver instantly. He's speed is phenomenal at 4.32 which is something were going to have to replace with a draft day trade of McCareins. I like his toughness as he should be able to step right in because he played in a fast passed run-gun system at Washington State."

    I would like to know why Brad Smith should not be our #3 WR....

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    Moses has just been blah since he exploded as a junior -- performance-wise during the year, and in his measured athleticism and performance in various post-season venues.

    He's slower than expected, weaker than expected, and perhaps not as interested in football as Mangini would like.

    He's simply plummeted from a top ten prospect to 2nd rounder or worse...

    I'd take Moses for the value in the 3rd round, but no earlier...
    Didn't looked particularly intelligent either, had trouble following directions and focusing.

    Terrible agility as well compared to his counterparts.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    That didn't seem to hurt Vince Young
    nor Frank Gore or Julian Peterson...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us