Thread: Smoke and Mirrors

Rookie

Smoke and Mirrors

I get suspicious of many of these riser/faller predictions just before the draft. Many of them are prompted by the scouts themselves who are either trying to get guys to fall at the expense of a reach moving up, or trying to stay coy on the guys they really love. The media prints what they hear from the scouts, so the scouts control the buzz... for the most part. Certainly the best observations are usually from Gil Brandt, Rick Gosselin, and other local guys (like some of our own...e.g. Bitonti) who are not relying on the media snippets, which can be deceiving.

Why is it, for example, that the media is yapping about Revis and Houston who are certainly great prospects with great measurables, but there is no media attention to Leon Hall, nor Michael Griffin? Why is it that Branch is getting slammed despite the fact that he was the key to the Michigan defense last year? He made Woodley a better player by taking double teams, not the other way around. Then there are guys who are projected as second to mid-round picks that noone is talking about but the scouts are considering taking very high in the draft, and who will surprise folks on draft day (e.g. Casey Hampton, when he showed up in the mid-first round for the Steelers, B.Thomas at 22?, Logan Mankins...)

The last few weeks before the draft are a bit of a game. Trying to get guys to fall, trying to keep quiet on other guys that are truly rising up boards. Key is to figure out the truth amidst the smoke and mirrors.

So questions for you draftniks are:
    1) Who is being over-hyped to make guys fall if he goes high?
    2) Who is being under-hyped by scouts (dead on the radar) but they will go very high?
    3) Who is being blasted with the hopes that he will fall?

You can consider kids in any round.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet
    I get suspicious of many of these riser/faller predictions just before the draft. Many of them are prompted by the scouts themselves who are either trying to get guys to fall at the expense of a reach moving up, or trying to stay coy on the guys they really love. The media prints what they hear from the scouts, so the scouts control the buzz... for the most part. Certainly the best observations are usually from Gil Brandt, Rick Gosselin, and other local guys (like some of our own...e.g. Bitonti) who are not relying on the media snippets, which can be deceiving.

Why is it, for example, that the media is yapping about Revis and Houston who are certainly great prospects with great measurables, but there is no media attention to Leon Hall, nor Michael Griffin? Why is it that Branch is getting slammed despite the fact that he was the key to the Michigan defense last year? He made Woodley a better player by taking double teams, not the other way around. Then there are guys who are projected as second to mid-round picks that noone is talking about but the scouts are considering taking very high in the draft, and who will surprise folks on draft day (e.g. Casey Hampton, when he showed up in the mid-first round for the Steelers, B.Thomas at 22?, Logan Mankins...)

The last few weeks before the draft are a bit of a game. Trying to get guys to fall, trying to keep quiet on other guys that are truly rising up boards. Key is to figure out the truth amidst the smoke and mirrors.

So questions for you draftniks are:
    1) Who is being over-hyped to make guys fall if he goes high?
    2) Who is being under-hyped by scouts (dead on the radar) but they will go very high?
    3) Who is being blasted with the hopes that he will fall?

You can consider kids in any round.
    1) Jarvis Moss
    2)Dwayne Jarrett
    3)Leon Hall

JetsInsider.com Legend
    with this thread title i thought we were gonna be talking about the Jets 2006 offense

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    with this thread title i thought we were gonna be talking about the Jets 2006 offense
    hehehe

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti

Or mabe signing a Veteran backup with as much experience as the guy you drafted in the 2nd round last yr.

Veteran
    1) Who is being over-hyped to make guys fall if he goes high? Greg Olsen (maybe Aaron Ross)
    2) Who is being under-hyped by scouts (dead on the radar) but they will go very high? Adam Carriker
    3) Who is being blasted with the hopes that he will fall? Alan Branch

1. If you've actually watched him play over the years he's not that imressive. Overall this is an extremely weak TE class and I wouldn't pick any in the first round, but I think he'll end up being a top-20 pick. As for Aaron Ross... I just don't really like him that much.

2. He was obviously hot for a while but lately everyone's been focusing elsewhere. I rarely hear about him anymore and I've seen him falling to the late teens/early twenties on some websites. I think he'll end up being a top-12 pick.

3. Many regarded him as being the best defensive player in the draft a couple of months ago, and I was one of them. I still say he's one of the better player in this draft and based on pure talent alone should go top-6. He's only falling because he had a poor offseason, but that happens every year to many players, so there's nothing you can do about it.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-25-2007 at 02:03 PM.