Thread: DVD Recording Agian (merged)

All Pro

Burning DVDs from Home Video

Ok so i went and bought a video software Pinacle Solutions or soemthing like that and i have been transferring home videos to my pc. Adding graphics and music and what not - but now i am ready to turn it into a movie and burn it...

Are there special DVDs that i should buy... Meaning i want to bea ble to play them in DVDV players and not just PCs.

All Pro
    DVD+R I assume.

I got a Samsung VCR/DVD+R combo. 1 button on the fly copies. But it is very slick at detecting copyrighted VHS tapes.

Ive tried the conversion of a PC and unless you have a LARGE hard drive, you may have complications duplicating to DVD, because the video file is huge.

All Pro
    i went with the software so i would be able to add pictures and music and what not

Rookie
    If you're just talking about what discs to buy, DVD-R or DVD+R.
    DVD-R are compatible with more players (older players).

As for Brand, there are differences in quality.
    I will only burn important stuff to either Taiyo Yuden (the best), or Verbatim.
    Most stores sell junk, Maxell, TDK, etc.
    Spend a couple of minutes, and go through these two web pages... it should answer any questions you have... the rest of the site can answer any other questions, you may have about DVD burning, etc (links on the left of the page)...
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Banned
    GO +R. all players now adays support it and -R takes longer to burn and is usually more expensive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by burf
    If you're just talking about what discs to buy, DVD-R or DVD+R.
    DVD-R are compatible with more players (older players).

As for Brand, there are differences in quality.
    I will only burn important stuff to either Taiyo Yuden (the best), or Verbatim.
    Most stores sell junk, Maxell, TDK, etc.
    Spend a couple of minutes, and go through these two web pages... it should answer any questions you have... the rest of the site can answer any other questions, you may have about DVD burning, etc (links on the left of the page)...
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

thanks for all the help

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by burf
    Taiyo Yuden (the best)
    that's good advice, i do a lot of this for clients at work and they are the best... as for compatibility, newer DVD players will play most any kind, it's the older that have problems... also, off-brand DVD players play more - sony machines, for example, can be finicky - the rewritable (RW) ones will play on more machines that the -R or +R... but Taiyo Yuden DVD-R should be fine and plenty compatible.

Rookie
    The TY a bit more expensive, and if you're not careful, there are a lot of TY fakes out there... but ya still can get good deals at reputable online retailers.
    I just got 100 DVD-R for under $25... not one coaster

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

i like supermediastore.com, usually has good prices in bulk...

Rookie
    Good choice

All Pro

DVD Recording Agian

Sorry i asked this question a few montsh back but i can't find the thread.

I just spent two montsh uploading and editing home videos. It totalled about 110 minutes of footage. I used a Fuji DVD/R disk to burn to. The disk was 4.7 Gb /120 minutes. When i went to burn it asks for qulaity of video and i clicked best. Well after 1 1/2 hours of burning it only had enough to get half the footage...

WHat did i do wriong.. are there bigger DVD/R media's i can write to?

Thanks for the help

Veteran
    If you did the dvd is XP mode you only get 1 hours

SP mode will give you two hours. There is not much different in quality between XP and SP in my eyes. I do most of my stuff in SP.

After SP is LP which runs 4 hours. You do start to notice a difference though in quality. I use LP for some movies that go over 2 hours. It looks like something you something you would record in SLP if you were taping to VHS.

Hope that helps.

All Pro
    i have no idea what mode it was - i will check tonite.

thanks

All Pro
    heh...funny this thread came back to life.

Last night I transferred video from my camcorder of my 6 month old to my DVD/R.

At first I used a Sony DVD+R and burned at XP speed. The disc played fine in the unit, but when I tried it in a SONY DVD player, it said it could not play it. Hmmm. It would not work on 2 PC's or my PS2 either.

So I changed to a HP DVD-RW. Burned at XP again. This time, it worked fine on all platforms.

Very strange, but I think its because with a DVD+R, you can only 'intialize'. With a DVD-RW, you can 'format'.

Whatever, it worked

Undrafted Free Agent
    I agree on the -R because it is more compatible with older DVD players.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Hey I hope this isnt hijacking too badly, but can anyone recommend a good VCR/DVD recorder combo for the $?

Im not real interested in moving stuff over from VHS to DVD so much as I am just looking for a good player that will play most if not all DVD formats.

Also on these combo players, can you record live TV onto DVD, just as if you were recording a TV show onto a VHS tape?

Thanks fellas!

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    Hey I hope this isnt hijacking too badly, but can anyone recommend a good VCR/DVD recorder combo for the $?

Im not real interested in moving stuff over from VHS to DVD so much as I am just looking for a good player that will play most if not all DVD formats.

Also on these combo players, can you record live TV onto DVD, just as if you were recording a TV show onto a VHS tape?

Thanks fellas!
    i just bought an insignia unit at best buy for ~$150, you can do all of the above and it's very compatible with both DVD media and file formats (divx, wmv, jpeg, et al). replaced a sony that would mostly recognize only sony DVD-R's. in my experience, the cheaper brands (insignia, apex, etc.) are more compatible, the 'names' are more finicky.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by isired
    i just bought an insignia unit at best buy for ~$150, you can do all of the above and it's very compatible with both DVD media and file formats (divx, wmv, jpeg, et al). replaced a sony that would mostly recognize only sony DVD-R's. in my experience, the cheaper brands (insignia, apex, etc.) are more compatible, the 'names' are more finicky.
    Thats good to know, I was eye-balling one at Best Buy at lunchtime today. Is Insignia overall a pretty decent brand?

There are certain brands I will NEVER buy ever again (i.e. Sharp, RCA) because of past nightmares, just wondering if Insignia is decent enough to plunk my money down on thanks!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    And yeah, I dont want finicky, I just want somethat that I can play bootlegged movies on

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    Thats good to know, I was eye-balling one at Best Buy at lunchtime today. Is Insignia overall a pretty decent brand?

There are certain brands I will NEVER buy ever again (i.e. Sharp, RCA) because of past nightmares, just wondering if Insignia is decent enough to plunk my money down on thanks!!!
    it seems fine so far... i also have an insignia duyal screen dvd player in the car, works great. i think it might be best buy's house brand, probably made by another company that sells its own brand as well...