Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Ok Docs what about an Adenoidectomy?

All League

OT - Ok Docs what about an Adenoidectomy?

My son just had what was supposed to be a routine adenoidectomy.

Somehow (details still coming in) they managed to set something on fire inside his nasal cavity just behind his uvula.

What we were told thus far is that the tube they put through his nasal cavity is what caught fire and they put it out by pouring ice water down his mouth and nose. WTF!?!?

I cannot find ANYWHERE on the web anything about this type of complication during the procedure... my wife who used to work at a hospital in Orlando called her friends there that are surgical nurses and they never heard of this happening.

They are telling us that the burn behind his uvula (behind his palate) has a burn about 1/2in by 1in. They tell us that there should be no ill effects from this and that it was simply a "mishap."

They say it "shouldn't" affect his speech or his ability to swallow.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Should I be asking some specific questions I may need answers to later? Should I be talking to someone in the legal field?

They are keeping my son overnight for observation. This is supposed to be a 30 minute procedure with 1 hour observation then release. I am pissed and my wife is nervous.

Thanks in advance.

- Tracey

JetsFan2012
    That sounds pretty ridiculous. Best of luck to your son.

Veteran
    Now thats something you dont hear everyday. Best of luck to him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    My son just had what was supposed to be a routine adenoidectomy.

Somehow (details still coming in) they managed to set something on fire inside his nasal cavity just behind his uvula.

What we were told thus far is that the tube they put through his nasal cavity is what caught fire and they put it out by pouring ice water down his mouth and nose. WTF!?!?

I cannot find ANYWHERE on the web anything about this type of complication during the procedure... my wife who used to work at a hospital in Orlando called her friends there that are surgical nurses and they never heard of this happening.

They are telling us that the burn behind his uvula (behind his palate) has a burn about 1/2in by 1in. They tell us that there should be no ill effects from this and that it was simply a "mishap."

They say it "shouldn't" affect his speech or his ability to swallow.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Should I be asking some specific questions I may need answers to later? Should I be talking to someone in the legal field?

They are keeping my son overnight for observation. This is supposed to be a 30 minute procedure with 1 hour observation then release. I am pissed and my wife is nervous.

Thanks in advance.

- Tracey

That sounds like soemone is not telling you everything. Im in the office right now. Tonight after 6:30 I'll talk to a buddy of mine who's an ENT and see what the story is. Until then good luck to your son and God Bless.

All Pro
    Are you sure the tubes that caught on fire weren't the type they put directly into the ear and going into the eustation tube? Seems to be the area?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I would have him examined by another doctor at a different hospital/location as soon as possible. Get an expert to review the report of exactly what happened and to examine your son to see if there could be any complications.

Could there have been a defective tool or piece of equipment used?

It's also not too early to talk to a lawyer unfortunately.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    I would have him examined by another doctor at a different hospital/location as soon as possible. Get an expert to review the report of exactly what happened and to examine your son to see if there could be any complications.

Could there have been a defective tool or piece of equipment used?

It's also not too early to talk to a lawyer unfortunately.

Maybe not a lawyer yet. But, an independent examine by a non-affiliated physician would be a very good idea.

Charter JI Member
    sorry to hear this, hope your boy is ok

btw, I've never heard of such a thing...I had an emergency appendectomy about a year ago, almost to the day

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fifty one
    Maybe not a lawyer yet. But, an independent examine by a non-affiliated physician would be a very good idea.
    ...and tell them you're going to do this - if they're less than helpful, i'd be very suspicious.

best of luck, hope your son recovers fully and quickly.

Veteran
    Ok, what has happened to your son is called an airway fire.

Basically what happens is that during adenoinectomy/ any other ENT type surgery...your son was intubated for the procedure.

The anesthesia machine (ventilator + anesthethetic gas) breathes for your son. It Provides anesthesia, as well as oxygen.

As we all know, oxygen is a source of fire. So during these procedures you generally try to put as low as oxygen as possible without causing low oxygen in your son.

During the procedure they use certain instruments to stop bleeding called a cautery. Sometimes, the spark can cause a fire inside the tube that is in your son. This is what has lead to your fire.

Generally, these things do not happen, BUT are not 100% guarunteed to not happen. I do not know what the anesthesiologist/ENT surgeon were using at the time; but this is what usually happens.

First step is to cut off the oxgyen to what is know as breathing room air, pull the tube out ASAP!!!

Hope all is well with your son. Please keep me updated.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty one
    Are you sure the tubes that caught on fire weren't the type they put directly into the ear and going into the eustation tube? Seems to be the area?

Absolutely sure. He wasn't having any work done on his ears. The Adenoidectomy was to relieve sinus infection issues not ear infections or anything like that.

My wife has already requested a report on it along with exactly what procedure, equipment/devices were used and so on.

We fully intend to take him to another Dr for opinion as soon as he is released.

My wife said that all his nose hairs are gone/burned away and there is dried blood in his nostrils.

All League
    Thanks for all the well wishes everyone... I don't think the injury is that serious, but I don't know what the on-going issues may be that arise from this as NO ONE has ever heard of this happening.

We just want to make sure we ask the right questions and get the documentation/information necessary if something does show up wrong.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    Absolutely sure. He wasn't having any work done on his ears. The Adenoidectomy was to relieve sinus infection issues not ear infections or anything like that.

My wife has already requested a report on it along with exactly what procedure, equipment/devices were used and so on.

We fully intend to take him to another Dr for opinion as soon as he is released.

My wife said that all his nose hairs are gone/burned away and there is dried blood in his nostrils.

Ok. I hope he is ok and a speedy recovery.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win
    Ok, what has happened to your son is called an airway fire.

Basically what happens is that during adenoinectomy/ any other ENT type surgery...your son was intubated for the procedure.

The anesthesia machine (ventilator + anesthethetic gas) breathes for your son. It Provides anesthesia, as well as oxygen.

As we all know, oxygen is a source of fire. So during these procedures you generally try to put as low as oxygen as possible without causing low oxygen in your son.

During the procedure they use certain instruments to stop bleeding called a cautery. Sometimes, the spark can cause a fire inside the tube that is in your son. This is what has lead to your fire.

Generally, these things do not happen, BUT are not 100% guarunteed to not happen. I do not know what the anesthesiologist/ENT surgeon were using at the time; but this is what usually happens.

First step is to cut off the oxgyen to what is know as breathing room air, pull the tube out ASAP!!!

Hope all is well with your son. Please keep me updated.

Awesome information... THANKS SO MUCH.

Charter JI Member
    I apologize for reading this too quickly and thinking you said appendectomy...I coudln't figure out how that could affect his sinus...still best wishes to your son.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    I apologize for reading this too quickly and thinking you said appendectomy...I coudln't figure out how that could affect his sinus...still best wishes to your son.

Veteran
    I'm an anesthesia resident (2 more years left!!), so I'm glad to be of assistance.

I have somethign to say about this matter. Maybe i'm biased, but it seems like there any mishap/unexpected outcome or event. It is automatically the Doctor's fault or the guy is an idiot. Now, I'm not saying that there are some careless docs out there or even borderline incompetent; but sometimes these things are unavoidable.

As a society, we've definitely become too letigious and sometimes don't realize that Sh!t happens.

Now I know your situation was unique, but I've seen a lot of patients who are basically for a meal ticket and waiting on the opportunity to SUE for malpractice. In turn this leads to more defensive medicine, increasing rise of health care and ultimate less than quality health care for everyone.

Thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    I'm an anesthesia resident (2 more years left!!), so I'm glad to be of assistance.

I have somethign to say about this matter. Maybe i'm biased, but it seems like there any mishap/unexpected outcome or event. It is automatically the Doctor's fault or the guy is an idiot. Now, I'm not saying that there are some careless docs out there or even borderline incompetent; but sometimes these things are unavoidable.

As a society, we've definitely become too letigious and sometimes don't realize that Sh!t happens.

Now I know your situation was unique, but I've seen a lot of patients who are basically for a meal ticket and waiting on the opportunity to SUE for malpractice. In turn this leads to more defensive medicine, increasing rise of health care and ultimate less than quality health care for everyone.

Thank you.
    I agree. fwiw, if there's no somewhat serious long term negative effects for your son you should not be calling a lawyer...

All League

Thank you.

I hear where you are coming from, and quite honestly neither my wife or I think the Dr's did anything wrong, we are concerned about whether or not faulty equipment or procedures caused the issue.

I understand how a fire can start, but the question is why did the fire start? What went wrong to cause it?

The most important thing though, is what can be the outcome of his injury due to this? Can this worsen his problem rather than alleviate it? Will scar tissue build up causing problems with breathing/swallowing? Is there now a greater risk for infection?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    I agree. fwiw, if there's no somewhat serious long term negative effects for your son you should not be calling a lawyer...

I agree with this except for the words in bold.