Thread: No one knows what Raiders will do at#1?

No one knows what Raiders will do at#1?

Even more so this year. Usually when examine AL Davis draft history, you can make some educated guesses. For example AL Davis never trades down in the first round. (usually it would be safe to assume they would make the pick at number 1)

? Is Al Davis healthy enough to run the Raiders,as he has in the past?
    Something just hasn't been right IN Oakland. Kiffin seems to be calling all the shots.
    If you look at Raiders moves this offseason(coaching staff in particular) For the first time you can clearly say AL Davis, dosen't have his fingerprints over the coaching staff(They are all kiffins choices)
    another example , Alex Gibbs(respected oline coach )
    from very reliable sources,will be working with Raiders Olineman(parttime)
    this offseason. IF you don't know Alex Gibbs was once Raiders oline coach,who left Raiders and went with Shanahan to build denver Olines) Not on best terms with AL Davis . Says something about power kiffin has in Oakland to still be able to bring him in.

Look at personal moves this offseason. Raiders are bringing in a diffrent type of Players than what normaly see from Davis. Kiffin bringing in guys that fit his offense style. Even Raiders DRaft Bust(Brayton and D Gibson) have no guarantees that they will more than backups. (bnoth have played in past more where they were drafted, than how they have played.

So I say the draft Experts(Ie Bitonti) who use Al Davis past as their blueprint. Might be in for a rude awaking come draft time.
    Kiffin job is to improve Rai8ders offense and to implement his offense system. He knows what he looking for and like with his coaching staff will have more of say than his counterparts(previous raider coaches) in the draft.

Again what raiders do, Nobody knows and i wouldn't rule out anything this year. No one has a handle on lane kiffin yet.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-04-2007 at 09:42 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    it is definately up in the air and remember when we make a projection you don't agree with that doesn't mean we won't change it later

i think it will come down to what happens pre draft. if no randy moss trade and no QB signing i think you could be right about Al Davis changing his stripes and taking a QB - but there's still options like Green, Rodgers and Carr out there that could change everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175
    Even more so this year. Usually when examine AL Davis draft history, you can make some educated guesses. For example AL Davis never trades down in the first round. (usually it would be safe to assume they would make the pick at number 1)

? Is Al Davis healthy enough to run the Raiders,as he has in the past?
    Something just hasn't been right IN Oakland. Kiffin seems to be calling all the shots.
    If you look at Raiders moves this offseason(coaching staff in particular) For the first time you can clearly say AL Davis, dosen't have his fingerprints over the coaching staff(They are all kiffins choices)
    another example , Alex Gibbs(respected oline coach )
    from very reliable sources,will be working with Raiders Olineman(parttime)
    this offseason. IF you don't know Alex Gibbs was once Raiders oline coach,who left Raiders and went with Shanahan to build denver Olines) Not on best terms with AL Davis . Says something about power kiffin has in Oakland to still be able to bring him in.

Look at personal moves this offseason. Raiders are bringing in a diffrent type of Players than what normaly see from Davis. Kiffin bringing in guys that fit his offense style. Even Raiders DRaft Bust(Brayton and D Gibson) have no guarantees that they will more than backups. (bnoth have played in past more where they were drafted, than how they have played.

So I say the draft Experts(Ie Bitonti) who use Al Davis past as their blueprint. Might be in for a rude awaking come draft time.
    Kiffin job is to improve Rai8ders offense and to implement his offense system. He knows what he looking for and like with his coaching staff will have more of say than his counterparts(previous raider coaches) in the draft.

Again what raiders do, Nobody knows and i wouldn't rule out anything this year. No one has a handle on lane kiffin yet.
    Wha? 3 days ago you said the Raiders were taking Jamarcus Russell 100% guaranteed and you lambasted those people that had them taking Calvin Johnson. You were talking as you if you had a total handle on what the Raiders were going to do.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

once he wipes the drool off his chin I firmly expect Davis to take another defensive back for the sixth out of the last seven years....

TMahoney
    Alright, now this is slightly off-topic but here's what I would do if I were calling the shots in Oakland.

- Sign David Carr

- Trade Randy Moss and a fourth round pick for the Bucs second round pick

Draft:

With the first overall pick the Raiders select Calvin Johnson WR GA Tech

Pick 33 - Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
    Pick 35 - Ben Grubbs G Alabama / Ryan Kalil C USC
    Pick 65 - Josh Beekman OG Boston College / Doug Free OT Northern Illinios

Something along those lines for the first day of the draft and free agency. Go for a re-tread at QB because investing #1 overall money into QB with the offensive line they have now is a recipe for disaster. Trade Moss to a team that needs him and use that pick to further bulster the trenches. And who knows, Carr could ressurect his career out West.

The defense is good in Oakland, they just need an offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    it is definately up in the air and remember when we make a projection you don't agree with that doesn't mean we won't change it later

i think it will come down to what happens pre draft. if no randy moss trade and no QB signing i think you could be right about Al Davis changing his stripes and taking a QB - but there's still options like Green, Rodgers and Carr out there that could change everything.
    I really don't think getting a veteran QB is going to change Raiders intentions whether they take a Qb or not. Because they most likely are going to get that veteran QB that can challenge for starting job next year(don't have to rush rookie QB) I don't think there any question about that.

Someone on Raider board , i thought brought up a very good point why Calvin Johnson made no sense for Raiders. http://www.fansinblack.com/x/showthread.php?t=23361

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by TMahoney
    Alright, now this is slightly off-topic but here's what I would do if I were calling the shots in Oakland.

- Sign David Carr

- Trade Randy Moss and a fourth round pick for the Bucs second round pick

Draft:

With the first overall pick the Raiders select Calvin Johnson WR GA Tech

Pick 33 - Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
    Pick 35 - Ben Grubbs G Alabama / Ryan Kalil C USC
    Pick 65 - Josh Beekman OG Boston College / Doug Free OT Northern Illinios

Something along those lines for the first day of the draft and free agency. Go for a re-tread at QB because investing #1 overall money into QB with the offensive line they have now is a recipe for disaster. Trade Moss to a team that needs him and use that pick to further bulster the trenches. And who knows, Carr could ressurect his career out West.

The defense is good in Oakland, they just need an offensive line.
    A very creative, outside-the-box strategy. I would like it if I were a Raider fan. I wonder what our frequent guest thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Wha? 3 days ago you said the Raiders were taking Jamarcus Russell 100% guaranteed and you lambasted those people that had them taking Calvin Johnson. You were talking as you if you had a total handle on what the Raiders were going to do.
    I still very confident that jamarcus Russell will be the choice if Raiders stay at one. Like I said AL Davis I can't remember ever trading back in first round. He usually makes the pick. ITs alot tougher to figure out Kiffin.(who knows if Browns make an offer Kiffin convinces Al Davis to take. Maybe he has a Qb that he can live with later in draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    once he wipes the drool off his chin I firmly expect Davis to take another defensive back for the sixth out of the last seven years....
    If the Raiders trade down (a strong possibility) I could see them taking Laron Landry.

With Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson in the Raider's past, Al Davis would love to have a guy like Landy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty
    If the Raiders trade down (a strong possibility) I could see them taking Laron Landry.

With Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson in the Raider's past, Al Davis would love to have a guy like Landy IMHO.

A starting safety duo of Michael huff and Laron Landry would be awesome .
    Seriously doubt Raiders go that route as they are expecting with hiring of Darren Perry(former steelers Db coach) that he can do for Raiders , what he did for Steelers safeties. Stuart Schweigert will continue to be starter with Huff. R Ryan believes M Huff and Thomas Howard are going to have asomugha type breakout season next year.

Raiders do trade down and go defense and it would most likely be on Dline. (Insurance for D Burgess) gaines Adams. Before the combine I would have said Alan Branch might have been option.

Quote Originally Posted by Alworth
    A very creative, outside-the-box strategy. I would like it if I were a Raider fan. I wonder what our frequent guest thinks.
    I don't know how accurate this is but according to Raiders /USC fans.
    Kiffins offense isn't built for a number 1 pick WR or a superstar WR . Thats why R Moss most likely will be moved- not going to be happy with amount balls thrown his way. There is a reason why Raiders signed D Rhodes(Kiffin told him will be used like R Bush . FB Justin Griffith(versatile Fb that catches very well out of backfield) Half of passes will be to backs.

Now on oline. I don't believe Raiders are going to go for oline as much as people think they are. Right or wrong the position seems to be the Raiders problems on oline was not so much personal,but outdated offense scheme and very bad oline coaching.

Raiders are going to more of a WCO offense where Qb will be taking three step drops than 7 step drops. Raiders are going to a zone blocking scheme(they are going to doing alot of cut blocking) than man to man blocking scheme.

Here looks like the plan. B Sims and R Gallery will compete for LT, and loser will play RT. Center- IF his knees hold up Jeremy newberry(very familiar with blocking scheme will be the center) Its critical you have a center in this blocking scheme. Ryan kalil there when raiders pick in second,
    and theres a good chance hes the pick.(insurance if Newberry leg dosenm't hold up) Wouldn't be supprised they trade back into first to get him.
    Knows blocking scheme and can step right in.
    Raiders are favorite to land Denver Fa guard Cooper Carlise(again he knows system and can step right in- temporary solution,
    with Last years rookie from cornell-Kevin Boothe as the other guard.
    Basically Raiders are counting on Tom Cable and alex Gibbs to coach the oline up.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-05-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    If the Raiders pass on Russell and Quinn, they will not only be set back 5 or 6 years, but it will definetly bring to question the competence of their front office.