Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: How can I copy my Video Cassettes to DVD?

OT: How can I copy my Video Cassettes to DVD?

How can I copy my Video Cassettes to DVD?
    The VCR/DVD recorder I bought wont allow it? A message comes up that the cassette cant be copied.

I've tried putting scotch tape over the pushed in tab on the cassette but this hasnt worked.

Thanks!

Come on now guys I could really use some help here seeing as I just blew $200 on this machine.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

commercial VHS tapes (movies etc.) have copy protection on them. maybe that's why it won't copy it...

All Pro
    Maybe because your trying to copy a copyrighted VHS tape to DVD?

Got that but is there a way to circumvent? legal/illegal

sima godvd...p/u at best buy

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSYANKS71
    Got that but is there a way to circumvent? legal/illegal
    There's a gizmo you can buy that allows you to bypass the copy protection. I have no clue where to get hold of one, but I've heard of it from people I know who've done it.

Edit: I'd bet this gizmo is illegal, and probably not for sale at Best Buy.

Hall Of Fame
    If you play your video on a normal video cassette recorder and take the Video and audio out to a TV, it should record to a DVD recorder; ie., provided the video is visible on the TV. Sometimes you see a message saying this is copy protected, are you sure you want to play this " press the play button again to start". If you see the message just play button and record on DVD recorder.

I know you have a cassette to DVD recorder which you can't disable the copy protect signal; however, anything you can see as video on a TV can be recorded to anything with no copy protection.

Banned
    What is the point of ripping when you can just buy a remastered version of these movies on DVD for $7.99 to $14.99? Not worth your time methinks.

SAR I

I have a collection of 300 movies on VHS.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    What is the point of ripping when you can just buy a remastered version of these movies on DVD for $7.99 to $14.99? Not worth your time methinks.

SAR I
    precisely.

didnt that machine of yours come with a booklet called "instruction manual"? read it

Quote Originally Posted by 5xl
    precisely.

didnt that machine of yours come with a booklet called "instruction manual"? read it
    Are you really that stupid as to waste your time writing such an idiotic post. I mean come on chief...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    How can I copy my Video Cassettes to DVD?
    The VCR/DVD recorder I bought wont allow it? A message comes up that the cassette cant be copied.

I've tried putting scotch tape over the pushed in tab on the cassette but this hasnt worked.

Thanks!
    I was looking into one myself, but then decided against it and just got a DVD recorder since I didnt have that many VHS memories I wanted to cherish.

I highly suggest finding a site where you can just get those movies on DVD-R.
    This way you wont waste your time dubbing all those movies onto DVD-Rs. 300 movies has got to take a looong time...

All League
    If your just trying to copy Movies and not home movies, i would suggest returning that recorder and get a DVD Writer for your PC, a copy of DVD Fab and a subscription to Netflix...you could get all your 300 movies back that way...

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream
    If your just trying to copy Movies and not home movies, i would suggest returning that recorder and get a DVD Writer for your PC, a copy of DVD Fab and a subscription to Netflix...you could get all your 300 movies back that way...
    Thanks for the great suggestion Stream. But wont I have the same problem with the DVDs?

All League
    Thanks for the great suggestion Stream. But wont I have the same problem with the DVDs?
    The other consideration is the quality of picture you'll end up with

Depending on how old and used the original VHS is the quality of the transfer isn't going to improve on DVD

Because VHS is an analogue format each time you copy it you lose a generation(the signal strength degrades slightly and you end up with a worse picture)

At least if you buy or download a clean copy on DVD you won't lose the quality.And you can re-write til your hearts content without losing additional quality
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 04-16-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Banned
    I have a collection of 300 movies on VHS.
    The effort involved to burn a DVD of each of these movies is considerable, and the entire point of a DVD player and HD televisions is to increase the picture quality and thus the enjoyment of the movies.

While I understand that purchasing these 300 movies in DVD format, used, for say $10 each will set you back $3000, at least every time you reach back to watch Hitchcock's "Vertigo" or Kubrick's "Space Odyssey" or Hoffman's "The Graduate" you'll be seeing a razor sharp image on razor sharp equipment.

You'd be better off buying a brand new VCR and watch the tapes directly than dubbing them over to DVD. There will be loss of picture quality, and it's going to take you 600 hours to do all that re-recording.

You can sell the tapes for $3 each and repurchase them used on DVD for $3000, which nets down to $2100 out-of-pocket. I know what you spent on those tapes over the years....must have been in the neighborhood of $6000......$2100 is a bargain for the jump in quality.

Trust me.

SAR I

Veteran
    Are you really that stupid as to waste your time writing such an idiotic post. I mean come on chief...
    says the man that would waste his time burning VHS movies to DVD. the quality of the dvd copies would be horrible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    You can sell the tapes for $3 each
    Who in god's name is paying 3 bucks a pop for VHS tapes? Sign me up for that, I've got boxes upon boxes of movies on VHS.