Thread: Hey Blalock Lovers

All League

Hey Blalock Lovers

I openly admit I'm not a draft expert -- in fact, most of what I know comes from reading this board! But I look at LOTS of other mock drafts, and it seems NO ONE has Blalock going at 25 (or earlier)

Do you guys see something they don't? I don't really know anything about him, yet I'm PSYCHED to get him because of the way some posters here talk about him!!

My question has NOTHING to do with whether we should go O-Line or not -- I simply want a better understanding of what people see in Blalock, and I figured this was the BEST place to ask.
    Last edited by OCCH; 04-16-2007 at 05:06 PM.

All Pro
    we expect him to play OG for us

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH
    I openly admit I'm not a draft expert -- in fact, most of what I know comes from reading this board! But I look at LOTS of other mock drafts, and it seems NO ONE has Blalock going at 25 (or earlier)

Do you guys see something they don't? I don't really know anything about him, yet I'm PSYCHED to get him because of the way some posters here talk about him!!

My question has NOTHING to do with whether we should go O-Line or not -- I simply want a better understanding of what people see in Blalock, and I figured this was the BEST place to ask.
    NEED..the top 24 teams are looking at other positions that need to be addressed on their teams....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999
    NEED..the top 24 teams are looking at other positions that need to be addressed on their teams....
    I understand that -- but a lot of sites have him going WAY lower.

Are they clueless, or is there something SPECIFIC that makes him a fit for the JETS??
    Last edited by OCCH; 04-16-2007 at 06:50 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Blalock had the highest wonderlic score, if last year is any guide that counts for something. the guy is crazy smart. 4 year starter and captain, they love that too.

the Jets doubled up on OL when most fans had them taking only 1, that counts for something, the franchise prioritizes the position different than it did before.

Kendall and Moore are not good solutions, neither is Clements, Blalock could play all three positions LG, RG or possible RT.

the biggest reason i feel is the Jets are a team that desperately wants to run the football but can't - Thomas Jones didn't necessarily change that by just showing up. The other units like DL got better in FA (we hope), DB is relatively young group with some talent, but the OL is two rookies and not much else.

The Jets can't run the ball against NE and that's what it will take to win the division. That's why IMO Blalock fits their needs the best.

that being said the position of OL gets no better than 5-1 on any odds i'm setting - because they are at 25 anything can happen. DL despite the additions is still a real chance at 6-1, DB 7-1, WR 8-1 etc. they are all kinda longshots at 25.

Rookie
    I think the key for the Jets will be what the Chiefs do 2 picks before them. Rumor was Harrell was pegged for their pick, but now they've lost Shields to retirement (who, btw, exacted a little retribution by announcing his decision before the draft). Although WR is a need for them, o-line and d-line is most likely where they'll go. We may not have a shot at Blalock.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet
    I think the key for the Jets will be what the Chiefs do 2 picks before them. Rumor was Harrell was pegged for their pick, but now they've lost Shields to retirement (who, btw, exacted a little retribution by announcing his decision before the draft). Although WR is a need for them, o-line and d-line is most likely where they'll go. We may not have a shot at Blalock.
    in that case we'll have to go to plan B.

wait..

what's plan B?

All Pro
    OCCH, this is an excellent question and I was going to post something similar. I also have noticed that he vnever goes higher than 25 (and often falls to round 2 in mocks) AND often times, he is considered the 2nd or even 3rd best G in the draft (behing Grubbs and Sears) Are you guys intrigued b/c of his wonderlic and the fact that he's big? Is there more about this guy that you know that the "expert" don't?

Part of me would rather go elsewhere b/c I think you can get VERY GOOD GUARD VALUE at the end of round 2. I don't pick a G in round 1 unless he's all-world. RT? Yes. RG? No.

Practice Squad
    I am not trying to offend the Blalock lovers because I have already went down that road... so please don't take this as an threat to your egos.

Justin Blalock is horribly overrated by this board. He is obviously not the best offensive lineman in the draft, if he is so he would be considered a lot higher. In fact he is not even the clear cut consensus #1 guard in the draft. I agree that he would be an upgrade for the line but it is not a huge need. We have much bigger needs on the team.

How many of us wanted to throw up when Peyton Manning and Tom Brady marched down the field in the 4th quarter with ease? Remember this year when Manning marched down in the 4th quarter and scored a TD to take the lead, then Justin Miller ran the insuing kickoff for a TD, and with less then 2 minutes remaining, Manning went back down the field scored again and won the game? That was some of the sickest sh** I've ever seen. Our defense could not rush the passer and our CB's could not even compete against their WR.

How about getting some weapons for Pennington now and when Kellen Clemens takes over he has some targets that are ready. Coles and Cotchery can't be the only options. Our starting TE's career year was 300 yards and 4 TD's.

But for some reason Justin Blalock would be more important then getting a WR, TE, corner, safety, or pass rusher. Some even post mock drafts of the Jets taking 2 OL with their first 2 picks...

I would not mind if the Jets indeed draft Blalock... but I would much rather have some of the other talent that is available.

My conclusion is that they have a fetish for offensive lineman. My friend has a fetish for petite girls, and there is nothing I can say to make him like taller full figured women so why even bother... Just agree with them until the draft comes or all hell breaks loose.

And for you earlier question, yes they like Blalock because he is big. They do not think that the other high quality guards, which are better values, and can be had in the second, third, and even 5th round are big enough.
    Last edited by Mangini; 04-18-2007 at 01:26 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangini
    I am not trying to offend the Blalock lovers because I have already went down that road... so please don't take this as an threat to your egos.

Justin Blalock is horribly overrated by this board. He is obviously not the best offensive lineman in the draft, if he is so he would be considered a lot higher. In fact he is not even the clear cut consensus #1 guard in the draft. I agree that he would be an upgrade for the line but it is not a huge need. We have much bigger needs on the team.

How many of us wanted to throw up when Peyton Manning and Tom Brady marched down the field in the 4th quarter with ease? Remember this year when Manning marched down in the 4th quarter and scored a TD to take the lead, then Justin Miller ran the insuing kickoff for a TD, and with less then 2 minutes remaining, Manning went back down the field scored again and won the game? That was some of the sickest sh** I've ever seen. Our defense could not rush the passer and our CB's could not even compete against their WR.

How about getting some weapons for Pennington now and when Kellen Clemens takes over he has some targets that are ready. Coles and Cotchery can't be the only options. Our starting TE's career year was 300 yards and 4 TD's.

But for some reason Justin Blalock would be more important then getting a WR, TE, corner, safety, or pass rusher. Some even post mock drafts of the Jets taking 2 OL with their first 2 picks...

I would not mind if the Jets indeed draft Blalock... but I would much rather have some of the other talent that is available.

My conclusion is that they have a fetish for offensive lineman. My friend has a fetish for petite girls, and there is nothing I can say to make him like taller full figured women so why even bother... Just agree with them until the draft comes or all hell breaks loose.

And for you earlier question, yes they like Blalock because he is big. They do not think that the other high quality guards, which are better values, and can be had in the second, third, and even 5th round are big enough.
    We got Thomas Jones as a weapon for Pennington, now to make that weapon efficient we need help on the offensive line. Blalock fits the bill with his size, intangibles and his background. Our front office showed last year that they will look to build that team from the trenches and that's the right way to go.

If opposing defenses can rush Pennington or if they can forget about running game, then we can have all the skill players in the world, it won't matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    Blalock had the highest wonderlic score, if last year is any guide that counts for something. the guy is crazy smart. 4 year starter and captain, they love that too.

the Jets doubled up on OL when most fans had them taking only 1, that counts for something, the franchise prioritizes the position different than it did before.

Kendall and Moore are not good solutions, neither is Clements, Blalock could play all three positions LG, RG or possible RT.

the biggest reason i feel is the Jets are a team that desperately wants to run the football but can't - Thomas Jones didn't necessarily change that by just showing up. The other units like DL got better in FA (we hope), DB is relatively young group with some talent, but the OL is two rookies and not much else.

The Jets can't run the ball against NE and that's what it will take to win the division. That's why IMO Blalock fits their needs the best.

that being said the position of OL gets no better than 5-1 on any odds i'm setting - because they are at 25 anything can happen. DL despite the additions is still a real chance at 6-1, DB 7-1, WR 8-1 etc. they are all kinda longshots at 25.
    Well said and I agree. Blalock is heads and shoulders better then RAMIREZ! GRUBBS/ SEARS are close to Blalock though. I strongly believe that BLALOCK will be a KC CHIEF! They just lost SHIELDS. And Dallas lost their starting OG. It will be tough for us to get Blalock.

Hall Of Fame

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mangini

if a team can't run or stop the run, you can have all the weapons in the world and they will do nothing! Running teams win!

How do you figure that BLALOCK is overrated? The guy was awesome in college. Most personnel scouts feel he is first round material. How many OGs are rated that high? Please list BLALOCK's obvious flaws( to you). You will find it is a short list! The guy is a beast and he can play either OG or OT. Show us another OLman with that flexibility that is a mauler in the roadgrader tradition! You are on the clock!

Banned
    if blaylock's not there at 25 grubbs will be. and grubbs is rated by most sources as the superior player. and it's tough to project OG besides vague tiers of players, and blalock and grubbs are on the same tier. so if the jets choose to go G, they will have that option.

Hall Of Fame
    If there is any postition on a team to 'overbuild' it's the o-line in my opinion. Everything starts with your o-line on offense. Your Rb's, WR, TE, QB performances all hinge on the o-line.

Also look at the Jets 1 or 2 years from now, when they should be ready to really challenge for a championship. Two years from now where are Kendall, Clement and Goodwin going to be?

Now I like Blalock by his performance, strength and smarts but if they chose to pick another o-lineman or two on the 1st day then I'd be fine with that. The big unknown in all of this is whether the front office likes one of our young backups enough to think they can be solid starters in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet
    if a team can't run or stop the run, you can have all the weapons in the world and they will do nothing! Running teams win!

How do you figure that BLALOCK is overrated? The guy was awesome in college. Most personnel scouts feel he is first round material. How many OGs are rated that high? Please list BLALOCK's obvious flaws( to you). You will find it is a short list! The guy is a beast and he can play either OG or OT. Show us another OLman with that flexibility that is a mauler in the roadgrader tradition! You are on the clock!
    No, they don't.

The reason you don't see many mocks outside of ones made by people on here with Justin Blalock going at #25 or above is because he is actually considered a reach at #25 and in most places is actually going in the Second Round.

This site has fallen in love with Blalock because of a combination of Need (A Dominating Run Blocker), Intangibles, and his Wonderlic score. But when it comes down to it, Justin Blalock will not be the best player available at #25. That's the truth.

Hall Of Fame
    The last time i update my mock draft spreadsheet (just after the combine) Blalock was the top rated guard on average ranking. Out of 27 sites I had surveyed he showed up on 25 of them and here was his rankings:

22, 47, 42, 35, 41, 29, 29, 18, 32, 28, 26, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 15, 31, 22, 25, 16, 22

The average (eliminating the highest and lowest number) = 28.74

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    No, they don't.

The reason you don't see many mocks outside of ones made by people on here with Justin Blalock going at #25 or above is because he is actually considered a reach at #25 and in most places is actually going in the Second Round.

This site has fallen in love with Blalock because of a combination of Need (A Dominating Run Blocker), Intangibles, and his Wonderlic score. But when it comes down to it, Justin Blalock will not be the best player available at #25. That's the truth.
    add to that experience {4 years starter at uber-high level competition}; versatility {RT/RG/LG}; great senior season {hey that sick Nebraska front 7 {which dominated Auburn {grubbs/d-worth/irons} did great against the UT OL....yeah right...they got thrown around; great post-season workouts; perfect fit stylistically {phone-booth blocker/mauler}...

Practice Squad

classic!