Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vick donates for funeral costs.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Vick donates for funeral costs.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10136054

Ex-Hokie Vick donates $10K to assist victim's families

April 19, 2007
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has teamed up with the United Way to donate $10,000 to assist families affected by the massacre at Virginia Tech, his former school.

"When tragic things like this happen, families have enough to deal with, and if I can help in some small way, that's the least I can do," said Vick, who played for the Hokies before being drafted No. 1 overall by the Falcons in 2001.

The Vick Foundation is collecting donations from local communities in both Atlanta and Virginia that will be placed in the United In Caring Fund for Victims of the VA Tech Tragedy and the special fund at the United Way of Montgomery, Radford and Floyd counties, which serves the Virginia Tech area.

Vick's foundation said the money will be used to provide help with funeral expenses, transportation for family members and other support services.

I find that to be very nice and thoughtful.

Veteran
    for a moment ther ithought it was Marcus Vick.

Veteran
    that almost pays for two funerals.... but in all seriousness its a classy move... and i wish the victims families the best

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    I find that to be very nice and thoughtful.
    Vick is a cheep bastard. Ten grand? The guy signed a $100 million deal with $30 million in guarantees and he offers $10,000 to his alma mater for the worst tragedy in the schools history? This is the equivalent of giving a homeless man a dollar.

Being "nice" and "thoughtful" would have been Vick paying for each and victim's funeral. For crying out loud, Shaq paid for George Mikan's funeral and that was close to $10 grand.

What a disgrace.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Vick is a cheep bastard. Ten grand? The guy signed a $100 million deal with $30 million in guarantees and he offers $10,000 to his alma mater for the worst tragedy in the schools history? This is the equivelent of giving a homeless man a dollar.

Being "nice" and "thoughtful" would have been Vick paying for each and victim's funeral. For crying outload, Shaq paid for George Mikan's funeral and that was close to $10 grand.

What a disgrace.
    LOL - I just had a similar post written out but deleted it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Vick is a cheep bastard. Ten grand? The guy signed a $100 million deal with $30 million in guarantees and he offers $10,000 to his alma mater for the worst tragedy in the schools history? This is the equivelent of giving a homeless man a dollar.

Being "nice" and "thoughtful" would have been Vick paying for each and victim's funeral. For crying outload, Shaq paid for George Mikan's funeral and that was close to $10 grand.

What a disgrace.
    That's the thing. He doesn't have to. He could have easily donated NOTHING.

JetsInsider.com Legend

What a disgrace.
    I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.

10 grand, with what he's made over the past few years is a joke. Vick blows 10 grand on a Friday night.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.

10 grand, with what he's made over the past few years is a joke. Vick blows 10 grand on a Friday night.
    It said he was teaming up with United Way plus his Charity plus the $10,000.

All League
    I guess I cant put down him givenig to funeral costs...but $10,000....the man sihts out hundred dollar bills....one stupid endorsement would pay for ALL the funerals ..sorry for the rant and Im sure ill catch a rash of **** but a hundred thou for this guy is nothin

Hall Of Fame
    Nice gesture but 50K would be more impressive.

JetsFan2012
    Agree with most of the above. I could afford to donate 10 grand, for chrissakes (if I cleaned out most of my bank accounts... but nevertheless!)

10 large MIGHT pay for two funerals.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    It said he was teaming up with United Way plus his Charity plus the $10,000.
    I know that, I read the article III.

Vick is one of the wealthist VT alums there is, 10 grand is pennies when it comes to funeral costs and memorials.

Veteran
    Vick is a cheep bastard. Ten grand? The guy signed a $100 million deal with $30 million in guarantees and he offers $10,000 to his alma mater for the worst tragedy in the schools history? This is the equivalent of giving a homeless man a dollar.

Being "nice" and "thoughtful" would have been Vick paying for each and victim's funeral. For crying out loud, Shaq paid for George Mikan's funeral and that was close to $10 grand.

What a disgrace.
    I think it's nice of him to be donating 10 grand. and easy for you to bash him under a nickname on the internet.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Agree with most of the above. I could afford to donate 10 grand, for chrissakes (if I cleaned out most of my bank accounts... but nevertheless!)

Thank you. I make a less than a 10th of what Vick makes and I could afford 10 grand. Vick might as well have paid nothing.

The thought doesn't count in this situation when the thought is the equivelent of a dollar.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    I think it's nice of him to be donating 10 grand. and easy for you to bash him under a nickname on the internet.

yes, Ron Mexico truly is a brilliant philanthropist

Hall Of Fame
    Thinker, go figure out the Imus Idaho joke okay.

What the heck are you talking about? Bash him under a nickname on the internet? My name is Steve Cordero and I'd go right up to Michael Vick and tell him that it is pathetic that with all his millions of dollars that he is donating pocket change to victims of the worst tragedy in his school's history. Don't you ever claim that I'm hiding behind a name on the internet. Know before you post.

Veteran
    Thank you. I make a less than a 10th of what Vick makes and I could afford 10 grand. Vick might as well have paid nothing.

The thought doesn't count in this situation when the thought is the equivelent of a dollar.

so does that mean your going to donate about a $1000

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thinker, go figure out the Imus Idaho joke okay.

What the heck are you talking about? Bash him under a nickname on the internet? My name is Steve Cordero and I'd go right up to Michael Vick and tell him that it is pathetic that with all his millions of dollars that he is donating pocket change to victims of the worst tragedy in his school's history. Don't you ever claim that I'm hiding behind a name on the internet. Know before you post.
    You can't tell him how to spend his $$ though.

All League
    why is it nice that he donated ten grand???because he had to??

Imo if he really cared and wasnt doing this because he "had" to, he'd have donated a sihtload more...jmo of course....under an internet screenname

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec

OK, so let's put it in perspective then.

Discount his rookie contract for a second, Vick's contract includes 37 million dollars in guarenteed money.

$10,000 is .02% of his salary.

In other words, if you have $10,000 total, that's the equivalent of you giving 2 bucks. To your alma mater, after the school's suffered the worst school massacre in the history of the nation.