Thread: My Personal Opinion: Revis Will Not be Returning Punts for Us

Hall Of Fame

My Personal Opinion: Revis Will Not be Returning Punts for Us

I'm ecstatic with the pick of Revis as I think that a physical, in-your-face and bump-you-at-the-line type CB was our defenses' second biggest need behind an immovable NT (which wasn't available to us yesterday). With that being said; a starting CB (especially one drafted #14 OVR and cost us a 2nd round pick to acquire) is just far too valuable to a defense (especially ours since we attack a lot and leave our CBs out on islands) to have him returning punts IMO.

Now I know that there has been plenty of exceptions (Deion Sanders, Pacman Jones, Reggie Bush split duties with Michael Lewis,etc), but for everyone one of them there are a handful more players that are dynamic return men but just don't do it because of their value to the team overall (Santana Moss, Champ Bailey, Brian Westbrook, Deltha O'Neal, Nate Clements, etc.)

It really comes down to the personal preferences of the coach. And, a lot of people are pointing out that Justin Miller doesn't return punts so they're saying that punt returning is a "point of weakness for us." If you remember, Leon Washington took over punt return duties mid-season and he never muffed a single catch and did a pretty darn good job.

Due to that fact (that Leon Washington is very capable and dynamic runner himself in open space), I don't think Revis will be returning punts for us (at least not primarily) as I think he will be too important to our defense as a whole.

All Pro
    While I think Leon did a wonderful job returning punts last year, I also feel that we coveted Revis because he's a dual threat. I think Mangini will try him out at PR, and see hiw explosive he can be.

I think he's more valuable as our future shut-down corner, so I wouldn't be outraged if that's all he did.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    While I think Leon did a wonderful job returning punts last year, I also feel that we coveted Revis because he's a dual threat. I think Mangini will try him out at PR, and see hiw explosive he can be.

I think he's more valuable as our future shut-down corner, so I wouldn't be outraged if that's all he did.
    And you could be absolutely right. For example, guys like Santana Moss, Brian Westbrook, and Nate Clements did indeed return punts their rookie seasons but not really much at all after that. Revis could possibly be used in a role like that until he shows whether or not he is indeed THAT important to the defense or not.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    I'm ecstatic with the pick of Revis as I think that a physical, in-your-face and bump-you-at-the-line type CB was our defenses' second biggest need behind an immovable NT (which wasn't available to us yesterday). With that being said; a starting CB (especially one drafted #14 OVR and cost us a 2nd round pick to acquire) is just far too valuable to a defense (especially ours since we attack a lot and leave our CBs out on islands) to have him returning punts IMO.
    Like that alot!

Disagree because of one sentence:

Last year, Reavis had PR's for TD's of both 79 yards & 73 yards (while also playing CB in each game). He's faster than SAR running to a woman's shoe store!

Now I know that there has been plenty of exceptions (Deion Sanders, Pacman Jones, Reggie Bush split duties with Michael Lewis,etc), but for everyone one of them there are a handful more players that are dynamic return men but just don't do it because of their value to the team overall (Santana Moss, Champ Bailey, Brian Westbrook, Deltha O'Neal, Nate Clements, etc.)

It really comes down to the personal preferences of the coach. And, a lot of people are pointing out that Justin Miller doesn't return punts so they're saying that punt returning is a "point of weakness for us." If you remember, Leon Washington took over punt return duties mid-season and he never muffed a single catch and did a pretty darn good job.

Due to that fact (that Leon Washington is very capable and dynamic runner himself in open space), I don't think Revis will be returning punts for us (at least not primarily) as I think he will be too important to our defense as a whole.
    While I agree with you that Revis will not be returning punts for us, I believe it will be for a different reason. Revis has struggled at times with punt returns and must eliminate the fumbles or he will quickly become just a cornerback.

As for the fact that we didn't have a NT available to us: Alan Branch was staring us in the face at 14. When the Jets first traded up, I thought he may be one of the possible targets. I'm not disagreeing with the pick of Revis, as I see Branch as a classic underachiever in the NFL because of his questionable work ethic, but we did have the space-eater we need available at 14.

If Revis is our starter CB I don't think he will return punts. If they are playing him at nickle he'll get PR duty. But Revis is good enough to start. So I can't see him playing special teams also.

Leon did fine last year. I'd rather see a 3rd reciever with some speed be the PR if it's not Leon.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    There's a difference between having a capable punt returner and an absolute home run threat. 10 times out of 10, if you have the home run threat on your team, you have him return punts.

Hall Of Fame
    Revis will return punts until the 1st time he gets clocked then that will be it. Teams think of these guys as weapons but the moment they get whipped out on special teams and miss time as a starting Cb they will change theri tune. Sure he might go back there for a playoff game or something or until he becomes a starter but once he is a starter off he comes. Look at the history of these type of players, other than Deion Sanders most don't end up returning much. Too risky to let your prize CB get hammered on punt returns.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mario8723
    While I agree with you that Revis will not be returning punts for us, I believe it will be for a different reason. Revis has struggled at times with punt returns and must eliminate the fumbles or he will quickly become just a cornerback.

As for the fact that we didn't have a NT available to us: Alan Branch was staring us in the face at 14. When the Jets first traded up, I thought he may be one of the possible targets. I'm not disagreeing with the pick of Revis, as I see Branch as a classic underachiever in the NFL because of his questionable work ethic, but we did have the space-eater we need available at 14.
    I'd add we also would have had Branch available at 25.

I think if Revis isn't returning punts it will be mainly because playing CB could sometimes take too much out of him. May depend on what the offense does each drive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Another exception would be Aaron Glenn the 9th player chosen in the 94 draft!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mario8723
    And that is why I said we didn't have a space-eating NT available to us. There was no way Mangini and Tannenbaum were going to draft a guy with his questionable work ethic in the first or second round of the draft.

Taking a flyer on a guy with a questionable work ethic but a high upside late in the draft is one thing; taking one 14th overall or high in round 2 is another.

All Pro
    I was actually going to start a thread on this. I don't think Revis will return punts because frankly he's a good PR but by no means is he great.

-He averaged 10.3 yards a return against college competition. Which is good but not exactly eye popping.

-He had the 2 TD's in back to back games that everyone talks about but those were his only two of the year.

To Savage's point, he's no where close to as good a PR as Aaron Glenn was coming out of Texas. Glenn's duties as starting CB and PR his rookie year proved to be too much and he muffed some punts and never became a regular returner.

Revis doesn't have a multiude of moves. He should be a great CB but he's a so so punt returner and I think the duty could detract from his focus on defense. Therefore, I'm fine with Leon, Miller or J-Mac returning punts next season.