All Pro

Jets sign 15 UDFA!!!!

Atleast 19 guys will be in camp.

Mike T just confirmed on Miked up.

Will be announced over course of week.

All League
    Interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Walter Thomas, please lord, Walter Thomas.

We had to know this was coming. The Jets draft was so thin, especially for the roster we have, the team had to be on the phone as soon as the possible to get guys in. Lets hope we find some diamonds in there that fell through the cracks.

Banned
    It'[s great they're looking under every rock, but let's not forget: they went undrafted for a reason. Trading up on both picks and basically bowing out the rest of the draft and then sigining all those free agents shows you how crappy this draft was after the cream of the crop went.

Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots
    It'[s great they're looking under every rock, but let's not forget: they went undrafted for a reason.
    I have to agree there. It's great to get a few bodies in camp. But I don't think it's necessarily a good strategy to plan your team's long term development around street free agents.

This draft, we were aggressive and it cost us some picks. We did get 2 guys who fit our system perfectly and might start from day 1. But I hope we don't have to do that too often in the next few drafts. I'm a big fan of having as many picks as possible.

Banned
    Thats good to hear for a couple of reasons.

1) It tells me once again, Tangini had a game plan and stuck to it.

2) They werent ok with taking a bunch of midgraders and instead wanted to take 2 impact players they had regarded as a top 10 pick and a 1st rounder who both fell beyond what they expected.

3) They recognized that this draft really wasnt that deep and that possibly UDFA's might be as valuable as any 2nd day pick.

4) Once again we go into training camp in a situation where no ones job is safe and open competition will be on again, which only leads to better production during training camp and better results on the field.

5) Tangini has recognized that we have 21 of 22 starters returning and we still need depth. We upgraded at our the 2 positions we didnt address during FA. And now we are looking for depth.

This makes me feel better about our draft.

Banned
    How 'bout that... Cue Integrity28 saying I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Anyone saying, "there's a reason they went undrafted" is quickly forgetting that last year the Jets FO was harshly criticized for drafting players in the middle rounds (you know the same rounds as the picks we traded away to move up) that "should have" went undrafted, such as: Schlegal, Eric Smith, Jason Pociask, Titus Adams, Drew Coleman

I ****ing knew it...

This year they didn't waste picks on the Eric Smith's and Pociask's, and instead used those picks a better way... and will acquire those E. Smith's as UFA's the way they should have last year.

I call this the Reggie Bush lesson. If we had trade up for Bush it would have cost us Mangold, Schlegal and ESmith (or something like that.) A price they likely would gladly have paid in hindsight.

This year we didn't miss our Reggie Bush x2 - we got our CB and ILB.

Its becoming painfully obvious that the Jets draft board does NOT align with the pundits we rely upon, and this year the FO realized that and exploited it. They knew what other teams would be looking at in certain parts of the draft and were able to leverage the value of the picks they deemed unessential to move up and get starters. At the end of the draft, players are available as UFA's that the Jets may have had 3rd or 5th round values for on their board.
    Last edited by Dr. Zaius; 04-30-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Veteran
    This is the guy I want.
    David Holloway

Height: 6-2
    Weight: 229
    Timed 40: 4.72
    Position: Outside/Inside Linebacker
    College: Maryland
    Strenghts:
    Motor runs non-stop. Quicker than faster. Intense and competitive. Smart with solid instincts. Tough and hard worker. Has some versatility. Terrific weight room strenght. Has lots of experience. Nice bloodlines. Special teams potential.

Weaknesses:
    Undersized and needs to bulk up. His timed speed is well below average. Poor tackler. He does not have fluid hips and is subpar in coverage. Strenght doesn't show up on the field. Too agressive at times. Isn't stout at the point of attack.

Notes:
    Began his college career as a walk-on but became a 3-year starter. A classic overachiever who just lacks the ideal measurables.

Rookie
    Mangini was a guest on NFL Network during the last round of the draft and at the end of his interview they asked him if he wanted to add anything.

Mangini said (paraphrasing) Yes - to all the guys out there who don't get drafted, the Jet's believe in open competition and with out many rookies, the Jet's would be a great place for them to sign.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots

It's great they're looking under every rock, but let's not forget: they went undrafted for a reason.
    Fair enough, but let's also not forget that for many many many years the draft was much longer than 7 RD's, and many outstanding players have been drafted in the 8th RD and beyond, and today those players would be UDFA's

Couple of years ago I posted a list of outstanding players {past and present} who were UDFA's or would have been UDFA's today, with a 7 RD draft, and that list was a mile long .. most of the names really blew peoples minds
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 04-30-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28

Anyone saying, "there's a reason they went undrafted" is quickly forgetting that last year the Jets FO was harshly criticized for drafting players in the middle rounds (you know the same rounds as the picks we traded away to move up) that "should have" went undrafted, such as: Schlegal, Eric Smith, Jason Pociask, Titus Adams, Drew Coleman

I ****ing knew it...

This year they didn't waste picks on the Eric Smith's and Pociask's, and instead used those picks a better way... and will acquire those E. Smith's as UFA's the way they should have last year.

I call this the Reggie Bush lesson. If we had trade up for Bush it would have cost us Mangold, Schlegal and ESmith (or something like that.) A price they likely would gladly have paid in hindsight.

Its becoming painfully obvious that the Jets draft board does NOT align with the pundits we rely upon, and this year the FO realized that and exploited it. They knew what other teams would be looking at in certain parts of the draft and were able to leverage the value of the picks they deemed unessential to move up and get starters. At the end of the draft, players are available as UFA's that the Jets may have had 3rd or 5th round values for on their board.
    nice call

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28

I ****ing knew it...

GREAT post. Should be copied and pasted for all those obsessed with quantity.

Practice Squad
    one of them is running back...

Kyle Steffes....From Div 1AA NDSU

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.d...95&SPSID=11850

All Pro
    Ya this is an excellent move..someone posted earlier, can't remember the name, I apologize, but how the Jets essentially drafted a couple players last year that would have most likely gone undrafted so they changed their strategy around this year (God forbid) and were very aggressive and, who knows, maybe some of the players they were going to draft they signed as unsigned rookies. Either way I was very comfortable with our draft leading into this. You have to understand, as cliche or redundant as it sounds, it seems the Jets Brass and Coach Mangini are serious with their stance on high character guys and we all know their board is probably a little different than other teams. Have faith fellas.

FB Jesse Allen

RB Kyle Steffes

LB Mark Zalewski

QB Brett Ratliff

S Leonard Peters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yisman

QB Brett Ratliff
    Absolute Garbage and not even a Mangini Guy either {been arrested} .. training fodder and a complete waste of time .. if we wanted to sign a real Small School QB Sleeper we should have went hard after Toby Korrodi

JMO

haha, I just saw that was copied and pasted.

anyway, I doubt any of these guys so far make the team. We never seem to get the top UDFAs, just a bunch of unknowns.

ratliff=training camp fodder at best

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Coachdagwood
    one of them is running back...

Kyle Steffes....From Div 1AA NDSU

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.d...95&SPSID=11850

a WHITE running back

Tannenbaum and Mangini never cease to amaze me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yisman

We never seem to get the top UDFAs, just a bunch of unknowns
    For the most part that's true, we never seem to get the MOST coveted UDFA's, and it pisses me off every year