Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serious question for Pats fans, RE: Moss.

Veteran

serious question for Pats fans, RE: Moss.

serious question for Pats fans.

as far as i know the Patriot offense is built to spread the ball around to 7-8 and sometimes 9 different receivers in every game, now your team goes out and brings in Moss... for what? 3-4 catches a game? is that what all the excitment is? 50 yds. a game?

or maybe you're changing your philosophy about Brady... why mess with success?

Banned
    Why ask this question?? Why make this thread? Why are you so obssessed with the Pats and whatt they do? why do you care about Moss? No one gives a ****. Take your head out of NE and come home to NY. The more question you ask about moss the more fear you will be building up inside YOURSELF. Get the F over it, MOSS IS S***.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW
    Why ask this question?? Why make this thread? Why are you so obssessed with the Pats and whatt they do? why do you care about Moss? No one gives a ****. Take your head out of NE and come home to NY. The more question you ask about moss the more fear you will be building up inside YOURSELF. Get the F over it, MOSS IS S***.
    why the anger if you don't care??

seems that you hear it to much ha? so you can't elude the fact that this is on our minds today, and i just wanted to clear my thoughts.

Rookie
    I think this is a valid point.

Then again, for a 4th rounder. It makes complete sense.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Yeah..........! What he said....! above........

JetsInsider.com Legend
    With all due respect, a Thread on the Potential Role of Moss in the Pats "O" in 2007 is certainly a valid discussion. Especially since he was just aquired yesterday via a Draft Day deal.

Since we have a number of educated Pats fans who reside here, their insight on Moss's possible roles should be educational and entertaining. Also of discussion value is how and who the Jets will use to cover the now formidable Pats WR Corp.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    serious question for Pats fans.

as far as i know the Patriot offense is built to spread the ball around to 7-8 and sometimes 9 different receivers in every game, now your team goes out and brings in Moss... for what? 3-4 catches a game? is that what all the excitment is? 50 yds. a game?

or maybe you're changing your philosophy about Brady... why mess with success?
    Moss is still a premier deep threat in the game. Plus, even though he plays lazy sometimes, you got to double team him when he's on the field, or at least got your #1 CB totally focused on him. That's a tremendous advantage for the Pats.

When I heard about this trade I was furious. It's huge for the Pats, there's little to no downside, if he remains a total prick and doesn't try the Pats trim him during the year, for a limited loss. Otherwise he's still a TD threat every time he's on the field.

When's the last time he played for a good QB?

when's the last time he played for a good QB?

Good point.

All Pro
    The threat of Moss with his speed and his hands is going to alter dramatically
    the posture of defenses when playing the Pats. Especially with Stallworth as
    well. Four or five passes a game might well be the average for RM, but this
    move will do wonders for our running attack as no longer will defenses be able
    to 'cheat' up to the line to support the run and/or blitz as often. His receiving
    skills put fear into secondaries and will not only impact the run but think about
    if you are putting your best man on Moss and Stallworth is competing against
    your 'other' corner. Who is the safety going to help out in this situation? This,
    or course, is a rhetorical question. Defensive secondaries are going to have
    their hands full in the AFC East this year with the Pats.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW

Of all the Patriots threads this past weekend, I think this is the best one; it's a pretty good point he brings up.

I'll be eager to hear what the chowds have to say in response. Of course, can we really expect an honest, thought-provoking answer from TX? No, of course not. He'd rather stick his hand in a wood chipper than contribute to the quality of JI.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot
    The threat of Moss with his speed and his hands is going to alter dramatically
    the posture of defenses when playing the Pats. Especially with Stallworth as
    well. Four or five passes a game might well be the average for RM, but this
    move will do wonders for our running attack as no longer will defenses be able
    to 'cheat' up to the line to support the run and/or blitz as often. His receiving
    skills put fear into secondaries and will not only impact the run but think about
    if you are putting your best man on Moss and Stallworth is competing against
    your 'other' corner. Who is the safety going to help out in this situation? This,
    or course, is a rhetorical question. Defensive secondaries are going to have
    their hands full in the AFC East this year with the Pats.

Great reply. It's all about putting pressure on the defense. With Moss and Stallworth on the outside, Watson and Thomas at TE, Welker in the slot and Maroney and Faulk coming out of the backfield.......This offense will be tough to defend.

Moss' greatest contribution might actually be in helping the running game and the other WR's go off. He's a guy that you have to double team and that will only help free up other players.

And as far as Brady spreading the ball around, let's not forget that Gaffney averaged about 11 receptions a game in the playoffs last season and Brady still managed to spread the ball around pretty effectively.

Veteran
    Valid Point. The old statement being Brady's favorite WR is the open guy. And last year with all their WR troubles, they still had an offense in the top 10. But with Randy Moss, this opens up the middle for Watson who got safety and LB and sometime corners shading on him. It also opens up paths for Maroney as teams can no longer play close to the line, because the Pats WR were not threats.

This one move should open up the whole offense, and Moss will not have an 80 catch 1500 yard season. He will have more of the 60 catch 950-1000 yard season. But he opens up the whole offense by himself. He also is a great TD threat in the Red Zone, his height and leaping ability, and he has always had a knack for getting into the end zone. So I think he will catch 8-10 TDs this year.

Since it is only a 4th rd pick and not a 9 million dollars but about 3(as reported) Moss doesnt have to be the savior of the offense, but only a key piece. I think Moss will like that roll.

Veteran
    Brady is good at using what the D gives him. Last year he did not have the #1 guy that he could go to all the time, now he does. I bet he will be looking for Moss early and often and we will rarely see games when they have 10 guys catch the ball.

Veteran
    Batman hit the nail on the head....it's about the safety rolling the coverage on top of Moss' route. 2 guys on Moss enables us to play 10 on 9 while on offense. Say, we line up in a single back 3 wr formation....Moss takes away one CB and one safety. Leaving stallworth and watson single covered with the other two db's...while wekler matches up against a slower linebacker.... And maroney only sees a 6 man front with 5 ol blocking for him....

Most teams will then add another db to defend this...

Meaning there won't be many blitzes anymore like last year...

Meaning we can either run over your little db's or pass on your slower big guys....

We have never had an offense this explosive before....

Honestly, I think we will score 400 points this year minimum...no joke....

This will enable us to keep pace with the Chargers and Colts offensively instead of defensively.....even if our defense improved as well...

So, I am guessing...Moss will have 70 catches for about 1,000 yards and 6 or so TD's...nothing dramatic on paper...but on the field he will take away 2 guys...

All League
    Adding to prior posts, this will force defenses off the LOS, especially the great safeties in the AFC, like Rhodes, Reed, Sanders & Polumalu. The deep pass will have to be respected unlike in the past.

Play action will be a thing of beauty this year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgater
    Adding to prior posts, this will force defenses off the LOS, especially the great safeties in the AFC, like Rhodes, Reed, Sanders & Polumalu. The deep pass will have to be respected unlike in the past.

Play action will be a thing of beauty this year.
    Not if Maroney gets hurt and your running game sucks.

Banned

SB still takes the cake

As selfish a player as Randy Moss is, when you get a chance to play for a Superbowl team like the patriots, its not that difficult to sacrifice your receptions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    Not if Maroney gets hurt and your running game sucks.
    If that happens we might have to find another Antowain Smith to help us out.

Hall Of Fame
    Granted, there is a lot of "potential" here, but I'm not buying just yet. A lot of people are selling this as if its a sure thing and its far from it. The Patriots fans on this board are acting as if every one of these players are going to be playing at the absolute best that can be expected, and a lot of people are following suit. They COULD be good, but I'm not exactly shaking in fear just yet. Let's look at their top 3 WR acquisitions.

1. Randy Moss. Moss hasn't been the same player since 2003. You can blame it on whoever or whatever you want, but four years is a long time in the NFL. You also have to consider that Moss is a guy who likes to go deep and that's pretty much it. He is not the kind of guy who wants to put himself on the line and go over the middle or run short to intermediate routes. Considering that has been the bread and butter of the Patriots passing game with Brady, Moss doesn't exactly fit in well with what their system has been over the years. Perhaps they change it up to play more to Moss's strengths, however I'm not so sure how that matches up with Brady's strengths. I'm not saying it can't work, but it's certainly not a given.

2. Donte Stallworth. Stallworth is a guy who's flashed potential, but after four years in NO was considering something of an under-achiever. He's never had a 1000 yard receiving year. Yes, I know most NE receivers don't either, but thats what was expected of him in the past and he didn't get there. He's also had injury issues which once again resurfaced last year in Philadelphia. He's another guy who is primarily a deep threat and I'm not entirely sure how well he fits in with the way the Patriots have run their scheme in previous years, given that he's healthy.

3. Wes Welker. I have two opinions here. First being that I think of the three he probably fits in with the Patriots scheme the best as he's the kind of guy who will run those shorter routes and take the hits over the middle. However, I'm also not sure why Patriots fans see this as such an amazing move to get him, other than trying to justify a second round pick for him. Its not like this was a guy who was a big time starter and now NE has coming out of the slot. That's exactly what he was in Miami and thats what we'll be in NE. You also have to consider that last year he averaged barely over ten yards a catch and has one receiving TD for his career. He's a good slot receiver, no doubt... but that's it.

It is possible that everything COULD break the Patriots way and Moss returns to form, Stallworth stays healthy and lives up to expectations and that Welker grows past what he was in Miami, but thats a lot of ifs. The liklihood is that some will work out, and others won't. Their offense will be good, and their WRs are certainly better, but they aren't exactly the Colts either. So lets have Jets fan step back from the ledge and Pats fans stop getting each other off.

All League
    I think Hyped said pretty much all that needed to be said. I will just add that the real winners will be all the skill players who will surround Moss. The biggest gainer will be Stallworth, since it WOULD have been him who wold have seen much of the defensive attention. Now he will be freed up more in single or zone coverages.

The other big advantage the Pats will have is in the Red Zone. The Pats will now have THREE big receivers (Moss, Stallworth, and Watson/Thomas) as targets in an area where the holes are much smaller.

Finally he addes quality DEPTH. Recently both Moss and Stallworth have been victimized by the injury bug. Assuming they both go down at different points of the season the Pats will have Gaffney, Caldwell, and Brown still on the roster, and they, who came within a minute of a superbowl because of a DEFENSIVE collapse, will be great back ups (I'm assuming Jackson is IRed)

BB has always contended that it's all about the Match ups and by adding TWO #1 type receivers to an offense who has never really had a #1 before, the Pats will open up the offense that will benefit EVERYONE.