Thread: Where will the pass rush come from?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Where will the pass rush come from?

Last year we had problems getting to the QB. We had to 'manufacture' a pass rush with tricks, schemes and blitzes. Aside from CB, there was universal consensus on this board that a pass-rushing DE/OLB in the 3-4 was a major need....someone to line up opposite Bryan Thomas. We didn't get that guy in this draft.

So, will we be going to back to the bag of tricks to generate a legitimate pass rush in 2007? Or, have we signalled that we don't need the rush...we've got a blanket named Darrelle Revis to save us?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Last year we had problems getting to the QB. We had to 'manufacture' a pass rush with tricks, schemes and blitzes. Aside from CB, there was universal consensus on this board that a pass-rushing DE/OLB in the 3-4 was a major need....someone to line up opposite Bryan Thomas. We didn't get that guy in this draft.

So, will we be going to back to the bag of tricks to generate a legitimate pass rush in 2007? Or, have we signalled that we don't need the rush...we've got a blanket named Darrelle Revis to save us?
    Thomas...Ellis...Vilma...out of the 3-4...and at least one of those DE we signed before the draft...the will have more time to get to the QB now..cover sacks...
    Last edited by shodan9999; 04-30-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Bowens and Colemen should help..Along with Ellis and Hodson..

All League
    in a word....EVERYWHERE!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ellis -- D-Rob -- Coleman/Wadsworth/Bowens

Thomas -- Harris -- Vilma -- Hobson/Coleman/Barton

If the coverage is good, Ellis, Thomas, Bowens & Coleman could provide some Pass Rush quality. Hobson and Wadsworth (maybe) as well. Alot may depend of packages and rotations as well (as you'd expect from Mangini and Co.)

Hard to say till we see how DE and the LB Corp. shake out in camp. Too many possible combinations just yet to know with any surety.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I just hope we get a big surprise out of one of these 3 guys - Wadsworth, Haynes, Bowens!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999
    Thomas...Ellis...Vilma...out of the 3-4...and at least one of those DE we signed before the draft...the will have more time to get to the QB now..cover sacks...
    Vilma is no sack machine with 2 and 1/2 in 3 years..Hobson had 6 last year!

I think Coleman is going to step up to the plate, he played well as a backup last year and is more than capable of putting pressure on the qb. Bowen can do it too, he wont be the presence that Coleman is going to be, but he is capable. I dont know what they plan to do with Harris but i can see him on the outside with Hobson and Vilma in the middle. If Hobson stays outside he didnt do to bad last year and hopefully will only get better. I'm interested to see what Haynes will do, and even Wadsworth, who may surprise. This will be an interesting pre-season but I think we picked up some horses that will be able to pressure the qb.

All League

I think you nailed it. I thought for sure Tangini would do the same thing on the D-line in this draft that they did on the O-line last year. But I guess they think Bowens and Coleman are the answers. I don't necessarily agree, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise I guess we wait till '08 to find our pass rush help.

Undrafted Free Agent

Shaun Ellis

How this guy does not take any abuse among Jet fans is beyond me. At 6-5 285, the 12th pick of the draft 7 years ago, signed to a huge second contract - the guy has had 7.5 sacks the last 2 years combined (2.5 - 5). He goes unnoticed for long stretches of many games. He is somewhat of a stout run stuffer, but come on 38 and 58 tackles the last 2 years! He must show up on the field this year with double digit sacks and impact.

All League
    A lot of people are underestimating the David Bowens signing in my opinion......the guy is a very good pass rusher, and 34 OLB seems like the best position for him......he really could be a FA steal, and I have high hopes for him in the pass rushing department........Miami fans were very high on him overall, and his numbers were very productive for a role player

Bryan Thomas will be a force next year......look at his stats in the last half of our season when he finally "got it".........He averaged like a sack a game, maybe more.........Bryan Thomas will be an all-pro next year, and will put up 12 sacks atleast........same with Hobson on a lesser scale who had 100 tackles and 6 sacks last season, but more importantly, improved greatly down the stretch as he became accustomed to the new system

Kimo, who is non existent in the Pass rush department gets swapped with Kenyon Coleman, who is one of the best pass rushing 34 DE's in the league.....

Basically more talent everywhere will take pressure off of Bryan Thomas who I expect to be a bonafide playmaker next season......The pass rush has the potential to be pretty good, and last year it was overall pretty bad

Hall Of Fame
    Two choices:

1) Andre Wadsworth, 2007 Comeback Player of the Year, or

2) Andre Wadsworth, back to selling cars in Arizona by Labor Day, 2007.

Seriously, it's probably more of scheme than anything else and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The Steelers in the SB run schemed a Pass Rush. They did not have LBs who could generate pressure on their own, even with Porter. The Steelers schemed pressure, that's why they were known as Blitzberg with their multiple blitz packages.

If anyone, Bowens adds the pass rushing dimension to complement Thomas. Wadsworth is merely a crap shoot.

All League

Um....kind of uneducated to post this in the first place

The pass rush got a ton better in the 2nd half of last year. Thomas started to emerge.

A think a better question would have been where isn't the pass rush coming from this year?

The scheme is now fully implemented. Add to the equation Justin Miller who actually started to look like a CB and Revis and you now have two of the fastest blitzing corners in the NFL who both love contact.....

Not to mention that we still have Kerry Rhodes, Vilma will be free to blitz more, Harris is there to fill gaps, and if DRob can get some time on the opposite end of Ellis I think he could emerge as a legit pass rushing end as well.

I still think we'll pick someone up after the June 1st cuts...we're not done yet.