View Poll Results: Single Most Important Factor In Winning In The NFL?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coaching

62 26.38%
  • QB Play

26 11.06%
  • Running Game

5 2.13%
  • Defense

24 10.21%
  • Winning In the Trenches (O Line and D Line)

102 43.40%
  • Other (specify)

16 6.81%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Most Important Factor In Winning In The NFL?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Single Most Important Factor In Winning In The NFL?

Poll to follow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    Poll to follow.

Undrafted Free Agent
    D and O LINE.Also staying healthy

Coaching. I think the scouting departments have gotten so good and the preparation of the pro prospect college athlete being so good that the disparity between team talent is nothing like it used to be. Not to mention the salary cap forcing it to be like that. With the exception of the dregs of the NFL(Miami, Oakland, Detroit) there is such a tiny gap between team number 4 and 28 thats its the good coaching that makes as much a difference as anything. Its why teams like Denver, New England, Philadelphia, etc... are good year after year after year. These are teams that can deal with almost anything due to the decisions being made by the staff.

Coaching

Veteran
    Trrrrrenches

The fat guys get it done.

Banned
    If the Jets ever got a 2000 Ravens defense I would be in absolute heaven. That would be the greatest season ever for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    QB play followed closely by coaching and then defense imo....

Defense wins championships is a misnomer....

Veteran
    Assuming each poll option was a given team's greatest strength, which one would result in the most success for that team?

Without a doubt it's control of the trenches.

Hall Of Fame
    btw, great poll idea...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Several good choices. I was stuck between coaching, running game and "trenches". Ultimately chose trenches. I'm mildly surprised that running game has no votes at this point. A dominant running game does soooo many things for a football team (i.e. kills the clock, tires the opposing defense, opens the passing game, keeps the other offense off the field, etc.) that I thought it would garner at least a few votes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanTheMaster
    QB play followed closely by coaching and then defense imo....

Defense wins championships is a misnomer....
    2000 Ravens say hi. That was ALL D.

Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest NFL QB, could never "win the big one." What happened when his defense finally decided to show up? Epitomized by the game against Baltimore, the defense was huge in finally getting Indy, great coaching and greatest QB, over the hump.

I'll take an elite defense over any of the other options as my first choice any day

Practice Squad
    Its the battle of the trenches Use can have the greastest skilled players on either side of the ball but its up to wether the Oline can push the D Linemen around to open up holes for the running game and protect the QB when he throws the ball or the defense can dominate by the D Linemen rushing the QB or stop the run that determines the outcome of the game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

btw, great poll idea...
    Thanks dude! Had a tough time figuring out how to word it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life
    2000 Ravens say hi. That was ALL D.

Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest NFL QB, could never "win the big one." What happened when his defense finally decided to show up? Epitomized by the game against Baltimore, the defense was huge in finally getting Indy, great coaching and greatest QB, over the hump.

I'll take an elite defense over any of the other options as my first choice any day
    The colts faced two terrible offenses on the road to the SB, which is why there was such a turnaround for the defense. The first time they met a semi potent offense in the Pats, they hung over 30 on them.

Colts haven't won a SB because Manning has historically been a big game choker, going all the way back to High school. He didn't get his act together until the second half of the championship game and never looked back.

The colts are the worst possible example for the "defense wins championships" mantra.

Go through the SB's, and see that 80% of them have been won by HOF QB's and then talk about the Ravens one and done..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    Thanks dude! Had a tough time figuring out how to word it.
    Perfect...

Your pretty good at coming up with these open ended discussion inducing questions, I can remember quite a few winners from you in the past...

All League
    It might have allot to do with coaching but when a team gels (so to speak)
    plays as a unit it seems IMO to make a winner on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Great poll!

I chose trenches just over coaching.

Coaching in the league now really does separate the teams a bit. Everyone talks about the talent parity that are a result of the salary cap etc and it's true, so good coaching does help the cream rise a bit.

That said though, if you have a team that is dominating the offensive line, you can make any running back or QB look great. A great D line can mask even the worst secondary too. Get both, and you can hide a lot of the other blemishes, including the coach.

Banned
    The colts faced two terrible offenses on the road to the SB, which is why there was such a turnaround for the defense. The first time they met a semi potent offense in the Pats, they hung over 30 on them.

Colts haven't won a SB because Manning has historically been a big game choker, going all the way back to High school. He didn't get his act together until the second half of the championship game and never looked back.

The colts are the worst possible example for the "defense wins championships" mantra.

Go through the SB's, and see that 80% of them have been won by HOF QB's and then talk about the Ravens one and done..
    The HOF QB's had nothing on the other side of the ball of their teams? Elway, Aikman, and Montana...those guys had elite defenses.

And the Chiefs having a "terrible" offense? Most everybody expected Larry Johnson and the Chiefs to run all over the Colts in that game. Pittsburgh the previous year wasn't an elite offense and the Colts couldn't beat them, same as the NE teams the Colts faced in the past. The difference here was the defense got some key pieces back healthy and rose to the occasion these playoffs, stuffing the run through the Superbowl.

The single most important factor in winning football games is still defense, in my opinion. Give me a team that has an excellent shot at forcing a 3 and out each possession, and that makes winning a football game that much easier.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life
    The HOF QB's had nothing on the other side of the ball of their teams? Elway, Aikman, and Montana...those guys had elite defenses.
    I'm sorry that you can't see the symbiotic relationship between offense and defense..

And the Chiefs having a "terrible" offense? Most everybody expected Larry Johnson and the Chiefs to run all over the Colts in that game. Pittsburgh the previous year wasn't an elite offense and the Colts couldn't beat them, same as the NE teams the Colts faced in the past. The difference here was the defense got some key pieces back healthy and rose to the occasion these playoffs, stuffing the run through the Superbowl.
    The Bears averaged almost 6 yards a carry in the SB. The problem was they never had the ball as Manning ate up the clock.

As far as KC, Herm was terrible that game, run up the middle on first, run up the middle on second, attempt a pass on third with senior citizen Trent Green on third. A high school coach could've game planned that attack..

The single most important factor in winning football games is still defense, in my opinion. Give me a team that has an excellent shot at forcing a 3 and out each possession, and that makes winning a football game that much easier.
    AS does having a QB who can score TD's Elite QB's win more SB's then elite defenses. It's science