Thread: OT: Once you get a MAC we got ya

All League

OT: Once you get a MAC we got ya

An iMac phones home

By Robert L. Mitchell on Mon, 05/21/2007 - 10:06am

I lost a good friend today. After an extended loan period, Apple finally asked for its iMac evaluation machine back. Now everyone in this household is going through withdrawl.

Apple originally sent the iMac as background for a feature I wrote on the future of the GUI. It was supposed to be here for a month or two. As the weeks and months ticked by no one wanted to see it go home. Apple didn't ask. We didn't tell.

Meanwhile, I kept trying to find time in my schedule to set it up as my primary work machine, as Scott Finnie did recently with a MacBook Pro. He never went back. Between other deadlines I never got around to the project.

But for 10 months we have had Windows XP home computer and the iMac test machine running side by side. And for the kids, the iMac became the preferred machine - even for Web browsing. I have repeatedly asked them why they prefer the Mac and they don't have an immediate answer. They just like it better. That happened right from the start. My 13-year-old and a friend set the machine up by themselves. Within 30 minutes were creating home movies, had an iPhoto gallery and had configured iTunes to work with an iPod.

Then the call came. We dutifully packed up the machine, removed the home movies and other multimedia content the kids had developed, and moved back to our tried and true, if somewhat less sexy, Windows XP machine.

The most interesting part of the experience was how the kids - the next generation of business users - took to the machine. While I am tethered to business applications that require a Windows machine, students are not. That may explain why in some universities, Mac use is surging.

As a consumer device the Mac has an edge over Windows PCs, which rule for business. As applications move to the Web, the Windows tether will lessen. As users continue to move from desktop PCs to laptops the end user machine may transform from a business machine with some consumer elements into a personalized consumer device that just happens to have a business component (with a dose of Parallels thrown in for legacy compatibility).

Can Apple can make gains in the business market? Perhaps that's the wrong question to ask.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52
    Can Apple can make gains in the business market? Perhaps that's the wrong question to ask.

yeah i mean there's no question mac is a more graceful machine than PC but it's also more expensive, harder to maintain in fleet quantities, tougher to fix and almost impossible to upgrade.

it's like comparing a masserati to a ford taurus. No question which performs better, which is better to use but at the end of the day that's not the only requirements for business usage.

also regarding this quote:

As applications move to the Web, the Windows tether will lessen.
    this is not necessarily true. If the web based systems were coded on PCs chances are they were not tested for mac usage. heck let's be real alot of business level web based systems wont even work right on Mozilla, let alone Mac.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    yeah i mean there's no question mac is a more graceful machine than PC but it's also more expensive, harder to maintain in fleet quantities, tougher to fix and almost impossible to upgrade.
    i would think that if they wanted to seriuously compete in the biz world, they'd have to offer a version without all of the software that really are not necessities for business. i think that would put the mac on par pricewise. not sure why it would be harder to maintain, unless you mean there are less mac techs out there (although the leap is smaller with the unix core). ditto on 'impossible to upgrade'... if you buy a tower mac, you've got the same ability to upgrade as a tower PC, ditto laptop vs. laptop, all-in-one vs all-in-one (imac etc.), no?

Banned
    Oh, so kids like computers that come with video software, built in cameras, video IM, music production, and photo editing suites over one that's designed for business and requires a dumb dad to know how to download and install it himself?

Wow. Shocker. I bet you that this newfound information will turn the automotive world on its ears. Pretty soon, they'll be making minivans with radios, CD players, video game inputs, and maybe even full-motion DVD video too.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by isired
    i would think that if they wanted to seriuously compete in the biz world, they'd have to offer a version without all of the software that really are not necessities for business.
    They are well on their way to seriously competing in the business world. The master plan goes something like this:

1. Become a major player in the media download and playback world.

2. Focus majority of corporate assets at pimping the next Maroon 5 release.

3. Integrate Intel processors into unprofitable Mac hardware.

4. Discontinue Mac OS development; launch 5 year plan towards open source for the 4% hobbiest niche.

5. Leverage profits from media side of business to offset losses in hardware business, offer competitive PC hardware for the 96% Windows market.

6. Develop next-gen notebook that is as breakthrough a product for computing as the iPod was to music. Incredibly lightweight, no moving parts, flash driven, world-class battery life.

Steve Jobs' dream was never to sell software. It was to sell lots of hardware. All he has to do is sell you OSX hobbiests out, and his turn to the dark side will be complete.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i would think that if they wanted to seriuously compete in the biz world, they'd have to offer a version without all of the software that really are not necessities for business. i think that would put the mac on par pricewise.
    Somehow it costs 2400 dollars for a desktop mac, and a good IT dept can assemble a pro PC for about 750 dollars. Is the Mac really 3x better? Really? Maybe if you are running a TV station and need Avid editing on the fly yes but if it's just cubicle jockeys running excel a mac isn't 3x better than a pc running the same app.

not sure why it would be harder to maintain, unless you mean there are less mac techs out there (although the leap is smaller with the unix core). ditto on 'impossible to upgrade'... if you buy a tower mac, you've got the same ability to upgrade as a tower PC, ditto laptop vs. laptop, all-in-one vs all-in-one (imac etc.), no?
    I really dunno. But it's my impression you can't do wholesale changes like swap Mac motherboards out, or cannibalize an older mac for parts in a new mac - maybe im wrong. As for the maintainance aspect if something goes wrong the user (or tech) can't really fix on their own it usually requires a call to Mac support, and the business contracts get better call center service than the rest of the population but have to pay for the privledge. I don't want to have to call anyone, i want to open it up and fix it on the spot.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Somehow it costs 2400 dollars for a desktop mac, and a good IT dept can assemble a pro PC for about 750 dollars. Is the Mac really 3x better? Really? Maybe if you are running a TV station and need Avid editing on the fly yes but if it's just cubicle jockeys running excel a mac isn't 3x better than a pc running the same app.

I really dunno. But it's my impression you can't do wholesale changes like swap Mac motherboards out, or cannibalize an older mac for parts in a new mac - maybe im wrong. As for the maintainance aspect if something goes wrong the user (or tech) can't really fix on their own it usually requires a call to Mac support, and the business contracts get better call center service than the rest of the population but have to pay for the privledge. I don't want to have to call anyone, i want to open it up and fix it on the spot.
    businesses i know run dells etc., not build your owns... i was comparing to those. and most old school mac users i know are far savvier at fixing their macs than most biz pc users.

Waterboy
    Well from a techie that worked most of my life on PC and now I work in an office of Macs I can tell you it is easier (and takes less staff members) to maintain the 50 plus macs and 8 mac servers then it does for the department that has 7 PC and one PC server. But to each their own

JetsInsider.com Legend
    businesses i know run dells etc., not build your owns... i was comparing to those. and most old school mac users i know are far savvier at fixing their macs than most biz pc users.
    dell's prices are usually in line with build your owns, at least from the perspective of computing power. maybe you get a better power suppply on your own.

but still you didn't answer my question, if it's just cubicle jockeys running excel, why do they need a mac?

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

dell's prices are usually in line with build your owns, at least from the perspective of computing power. maybe you get a better power suppply on your own.

but still you didn't answer my question, if it's just cubicle jockeys running excel, why do they need a mac?
    no, you're right - if it's just cubicle jockeys running excel, they can do with some PIII PC's, about $50-75 on ebay. don't need a mac, or anything else built in this century.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    If only Mac's can come up with something akin to the white ear buds to really get the folks..

Imo, the majority of users have no need to spend the extra money to get a MAC.

I've used the Mac plenty, it's crappy and I hate it. Conclusive proof of anything? No, but neither is some nitwit writers opinion...

Anyone who thinks either is a slam dunk is also a nitwit. Macs' have there advantages as do the PC's...