Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: OT. The Good Shepherd

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,554

    OT. The Good Shepherd

    anyone see this movie? I cant really understnad whats going on, is he a rat for the soviets working in the Cia or what, very hard to understand.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,192
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan2290
    anyone see this movie? I cant really understnad whats going on, is he a rat for the soviets working in the Cia or what, very hard to understand.
    Wait till it's over and it will make sense.

  3. #3
    he isn't the rat, everyone he kills is though.. basically the movie ia about him leading double lives.. He is almost solely responsible for creating the CIA, an organization, which was started with a ton of lies and deceit.....


    go to www.IMDB.com and look it up...

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Westbury, NY
    Posts
    781
    ****Drum Roll****

    And the worst movie I've seen this year goes to.......

    The Good Shephard!!!!

    Congratulations on making me watch this entire snoozefest waiting and waiting for something interesting or exciting....Kudos Hollywood

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,736
    Its a good movie. What you need to pay attention to is the dates. The story flash back and forth and if you miss any of the time stamps, you will be lost.

    Its a good movie. Not great.. But has a good story about a man leading a double life.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Johnsburg
    Posts
    1,337
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is what i did most of this boring boring boring film.

    i wanted it to be great and the whole "godfather of spy films" had me at hello, but it sucked nuts.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Your Mind
    Posts
    530
    The movie is a snoozefest. The best thing about it was Pesci being back in a movie after a long hiatus....problem was he was only the screen for about 4 minutes of this crummy movie.

  8. #8
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,179
    Of course it's a snooze fest. It's about the CIA. They steal info and distribute misinformation. A bunch of Yale geniuses* that get the drop on the entire world.

    *Hey, GENIUS! Your wife is Angelina fricken Jolie! Stay the **** home!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    It was good but it could have just as good if it was 40 minutes shorter.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,386
    I turned it off after 1/2 hour

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,903
    I think the problem with this movie was that it was marketed as a spy movie, when in reality it isn't. It's about how the organization takes its queues from Wilson due to how he's basically numbed himself to having any sort of personal life. It's more about Wilson's personality than it is about the birth of the CIA, had they set the expectations differently I think it would have been viewed differently by the general public.

    All in all I enjoyed the flick. I thought it was a good (not great) film that was carried by a fantastic performance by Damon, and IMO he should have been nominated for Best Actor for that movie.

    The ending was also heartbreaking, I really felt bad for the guy after he read his Dad's letter.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,746
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    I think the problem with this movie was that it was marketed as a spy movie, when in reality it isn't. It's about how the organization takes its queues from Wilson due to how he's basically numbed himself to having any sort of personal life. It's more about Wilson's personality than it is about the birth of the CIA, had they set the expectations differently I think it would have been viewed differently by the general public.

    All in all I enjoyed the flick. I thought it was a good (not great) film that was carried by a fantastic performance by Damon, and IMO he should have been nominated for Best Actor for that movie.

    The ending was also heartbreaking, I really felt bad for the guy after he read his Dad's letter.
    I got the feeling that he kind of knew all along what the letter was going to say.

    His entire life was penance (sic) for his father's sins.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod
    I got the feeling that he kind of knew all along what the letter was going to say.

    His entire life was penance (sic) for his father's sins.
    I like how they introduced it early in the movie, even KNOWING that the audience would know that he's bound to open the letter (most likely towards the end), but they still went to every length to show just how much this guy sacrificed family life and neglected them. It made it all the more gut-wrenching when they concluded the movie with it.

    Now that I think about it, if you ever want to watch a film that shows you what's really important in life, The Good Sheppard might be the movie to watch. Money, power, stature, all of it doesn't mean anything if you've got a family at home that you're completely neglecting as a result of it.

    I guess that's what I liked most about the film, the fact that it wasn't a happy ending.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us