Thread: OT: Car Trouble

Undrafted Free Agent

OT: Car Trouble

I busted a tierod in the front end of my car yesterday. Most likely the other one will have to be replaced as well. I had no choice but to have it towed to an unfamiliar garage.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might cost just so I know if they are trying to screw me. Thanks.

All Pro
    Don't know but at least its not at a dealership . . . $100 an hour labor plus the cost of a new engine when your really just out of oil. Actually, on second thought an unknown garage could do worse. I'd just buy a bike.

All Pro
    what kind of a car?

you'll also want an alignment after getting new tie rod ends put on

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair Thomas
    Don't know but at least its not at a dealership . . . $100 an hour labor plus the cost of a new engine when your really just out of oil. Actually, on second thought an unknown garage could do worse. I'd just buy a bike.

I rode my bike to work today, but I work construction as a second job and the bike's not going to do it for me in that case.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanginius
    what kind of a car?

you'll also want an alignment after getting new tie rod ends put on

I knew that too, but alignments aren't that much are they? It's a 2000 Neon, my wife's old car I inherited so she could drive my daughter around in my car which is safer.
    The car's value isn't that much so I really don't want to put too much money into it. The only reason I have hung on to it is because it's been paid off for 3 years and we like not having a payment.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Green Genes
    I knew that too, but alignments aren't that much are they? It's a 2000 Neon, my wife's old car I inherited so she could drive my daughter around in my car which is safer.
    The car's value isn't that much so I really don't want to put too much money into it. The only reason I have hung on to it is because it's been paid off for 3 years and we like not having a payment.
    guestimate = 50-75 for parts, 1-2 hours labor * @60 = 110 - 200 + alignment

Undrafted Free Agent
    guestimate = 50-75 for parts, 1-2 hours labor * @60 = 110 - 200 + alignment
    That would be ideal. Is this an educated guess or a shot in the dark?

All Pro
    That would be ideal. Is this an educated guess or a shot in the dark?

I really only know BMW stuff, but I looked up prices online for domestic to get an idea and really don't have a clue about labor since I do almost all my own work or with friends

note that it'll be another 150ish for an alignment I believe

Undrafted Free Agent
    I really only know BMW stuff, but I looked up prices online for domestic to get an idea and really don't have a clue about labor since I do almost all my own work or with friends

note that it'll be another 150ish for an alignment I believe
    Thanks. Greatly appreciated. I just don't want this guy to rip me off since he's kind of got me by the balls right now.

All Pro
    Thanks. Greatly appreciated. I just don't want this guy to rip me off since he's kind of got me by the balls right now.
    report back when you pay the bill

good luck!

Undrafted Free Agent
    I just asked my father who owns an auto repair shop in jersey, he said b/w $150-$200 for the tierods plus alignment which is about $65

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by greasyt
    I just asked my father who owns an auto repair shop in jersey, he said b/w $150-$200 for the tierods plus alignment which is about $65

cool thanks... so I wasn't far off except for guessing at alignment cost

Banned
    my dad works on cars and trucks and my older sister broke her sway bar and when she had it replaced the found a crack in her tirode and it cost her around 400 so i would guess 300 for both replaced i could be wrong but it deff wont be under 250

Undrafted Free Agent
    About $150 for both tierods, installed
    $79.99 for alignment
    $65 for the tow

$317.03 total

Thanks fellas, at least I know I didn't get ripped off. Next time my wife yells at me for being on the board too long I can make the argument that JI is actually useful for something other than my own enjoyment.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Did it happen while you were driving?

That happened to me in the 78 Cougar (LOL) , and it wasnt pretty. Its like 3 of your tires keep going straight but the 4th one goes whatever hell direction it wants to... crazy.